Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 694037 times)

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2235 on: March 29, 2016, 10:39:33 pm »
shewwe Ajooter those antler tips look like they grew there instead of glued on there. Man those are A1+ great job

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #2236 on: March 30, 2016, 07:23:41 am »
Looking very good Ajooter.  Those tips look great.

Offline half eye

« Reply #2237 on: March 30, 2016, 08:30:21 am »
Mr. Ajooter.....absolutely beautiful sir !!! 8) 8)

PS: Mr. Fred deserves whatever he gets.....good or bad >:D >:D >:D
rich

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #2238 on: March 30, 2016, 11:02:49 am »
Drewster, ajooter, both lookin real good!  :)
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #2239 on: March 30, 2016, 12:29:24 pm »
ajooter , those are prolly the cleanest tips i've seen in a long time. awesome!
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2240 on: March 31, 2016, 10:10:59 pm »
OK fellas,
     Here is an open letter to MR. FRED......we have uncovered a conspiracy to pay you back for all your shenanigans running this trade. It is unknown if it is a " vast right-wing conspiracy" or the actions of "hyper-active wood nymphs & gnomes" but either way here's all of you's chance to get back at Fred.

There are three packages heading to Mr. Fred's house. They are marked 1of3  2of3   and 3of3.....but Fred ya cant open any of them until all 3 get there  >:D >:D >:D  There is/was a lot of underhanded, sneeky, and otherwise untoward activities involved here and just some of the conspirators are listed here......DuBois, Dakota kid, Tattoo Dave, Don Burchett, Dan Hamblin, and just maybe a small amount of ole' half eye but that is not an admission. ::)

It would be very nice if all of the trade participants could occasionally  (or more often if so inclined) remind Fred that "paybacks is hell" >:D >:D >:D  8)

Maybe some open speculation as to what ever these could be, or what kind of pay-back is involved could help Fred with a slight bit of anticipation.
rich

Payback is making me wait on the other packages
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2241 on: April 01, 2016, 07:45:08 am »
The Mule Lives!!

The riser is finally seasoned and the receivers are glued in place and holding up really well (at least at the moment), I need a new string (story of my life!) to properly start tillering, and I need to fine tune the wedges on the end of the limbs.  Am also playing around with some fancy designs for making the tiller all pretty  - any comments always welcome, positive or negative.

Offline half eye

« Reply #2242 on: April 01, 2016, 07:59:07 am »
Stuck....that is great ....way to stick with it sir  8)

Fred, I believe ya may be loosing ground sir......seems that I miss-calculated  believe there is a fourth package heading your way as of tomorrow, Thank you Mr. Gutshot. So be on the look-out for number 4 of 4  >:D >:D >:D........hey just sayin bud.
rich

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2243 on: April 01, 2016, 08:22:15 am »
Fred that means you can't open no package till all 4 gets there

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2244 on: April 01, 2016, 01:41:49 pm »
Thanks Rich,

I may promote The Mule to Plan A, but I do have a Plan B and Plan C drying-out in the corner just in case...... >:D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2245 on: April 01, 2016, 01:58:46 pm »
You really need some fades. You cant have the thickness bending right up to the handle. Your closer than you were, but still a ways off from safe and reliable. Do have locater pins coupled with the bolts?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #2246 on: April 01, 2016, 03:25:25 pm »
With only one bolt(and a pin) is there any danger of the limbs bending backward(sort of)? I realize that the string stops anything from going that far but is there any vibration or something that might cause damage? When I look at it I just see how easy the limbs would break off backward. If the string were to break at full draw I think you would end up with three separate pieces. Not that we design bows with that kind of thing in mind. ??? ???

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #2247 on: April 01, 2016, 06:08:49 pm »
Ugh... time flies when you're working long days, playing for concerts, playing for church over holy week...

I apologize for the lack of posting, as it's been a pretty crazy month.  Things are starting to settle down again, and I'll have a 2-3 week window before things get crazy again.  On the plus side, I have been working on my trade bow over this period.

This will be a trilam made out of osage, cherry, and bamboo with maple tip wedges and power lam.  The osage is spliced, the cherry  and maple are tapered, and the bamboo is planed.  All I need to do now is cut out the shape of the bamboo (it's roughed out now, it shouldn't take long), flip the tips (jig and heat gun are ready to go), and glue it up!

Here's a closer look of the woods stacked on each other (the handle block is black palm).

I will be out of town this weekend, but my goal is to have this puppy on the tillering tree next weekend and to have a shootable bow by the end of the month at the latest.  I will definitely post more pictures as I go from here on out (ie, the flipped tips, glue up, etc).
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #2248 on: April 01, 2016, 06:41:57 pm »
Finally got a day off but didn't get any bow work done. Decided to work on a bow related project instead and thought you all might like to see it. My very understanding and forgiving wife has hinted lately that I have too many unfinished bows in various stages of completion cluttering up the house , so I built a dry box for my shop today. Its 2'x2' and 7' tall. It has a dehumidistat hooked up to an outlet and another outlet that is always hot just incase I want to use it as a normal hotbox. I hung a 100w light in it and mounted a fan from some sort of electronics that a friend gave me. The fan came with an adjustable thermostat that can be set to bring the fan on anywhere from 30 to 140f. I have the light and the fan plugged into the outlet ran by the dehumidistat. I set it to 50 percent humidity so the the light will come on if the humidity gets above 50. I have the fan set so that when the light brings the temperature above 70f the fan will come on. It has vent slots on all three sides plus the door. I still need to put screen over the vents and install a proper latch. I hung a thermometer and humidity guage in it also. I will watch it for a few days to make sure its working the way I want it to and then start filling it up.
Steve Bennett

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2249 on: April 01, 2016, 06:46:18 pm »
Turtle, that's quite the set up.

Ty, sure glad to hear from you. You were beginning to worry me. I thought maybe we'd lost another one. The bow looks promising but I'd be lost trying to build one out of more than a stick. I'm too primitive. Maybe one of these days
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.