Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 691034 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2355 on: April 07, 2016, 03:09:12 pm »
I have to agree with PD on one aspect. This is not the time to try experimenting on a design you have not mastered. If you have the spare time that's fine by me. Your obligation here on this bow trade is to make the best bow you are capable of for your recipient.

Time to put away the experiments and get your trade bow finished and then back to the toys.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2356 on: April 07, 2016, 03:26:42 pm »
Hi Fred,

as it happens, I'm off work for Easter so have a few hours here and there to play around with my options.  My main problem is that my stock of seasoned timber is limited.  Next year won't be a problem as I have stockpiled more than twenty staves through this last Autumn/Winter.  Because I only have a half dozen staves ready to use this Spring I can't be too wasteful.  My plan B is a really nice pair of hazel staves, Plan C is now a rather nice holly stave, and the former Plan C - the blackthorn - is now back in the log-pile....  The bow I send will be the very best bow I can build and will be thoroughly tested before its sent, but I am taking you at your word - this is a learning experience and a fun challenge to learn new skills and develop existing ones ;)

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2357 on: April 07, 2016, 04:19:46 pm »
Stuck if you need a seasoned stave I've got a sister Black Locus stave to my trade bow I can send you.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2358 on: April 07, 2016, 05:11:19 pm »
Hi Gutshot, that's super generous but I have the staves I need, I just need to be a bit careful for the time being. Thanks all the same, really appreciate it,

Andrew

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2359 on: April 07, 2016, 09:50:52 pm »

Added some cork to round out the handle and then some rawhide over that to cover the cork and give me a little canvas for some kind of artwork.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #2360 on: April 07, 2016, 10:00:08 pm »
Looking real nice Ajooter, real nice.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #2361 on: April 07, 2016, 10:10:28 pm »
Yes it does! :)
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2362 on: April 07, 2016, 10:53:46 pm »
Very nice Ajooter. Now on to that art work. My name is spelled GUTSHOT. so you don't forget when your writing it on that bow.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #2363 on: April 07, 2016, 11:08:01 pm »
No offense Gut, but I don't think I could take a bow out hunting that had the word gutshot on the back. It just seems too much like asking for trouble.  ;D

The American Hornbeam mollie is ready to hit the tiller tree. Unfortunately I dried it with the bark on because at the time I was sick of stripping bark. I think I cut, split, and debarked around ten 7' logs that day. AHB doesn't like to give up it's bark when it's fresh. Any ideas? My current plan is to run a thin strip of towel down the back and keep it wet for a couple hours to see if that helps. If that doesn't work, I'll just use a scraper and get as much as I can. As long as I get the bark off, I won't be too worried about the cambium. Most of my AHB bows have some left on it. I actually like the way it looks after staining, like a nice 2 tone camo. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2364 on: April 07, 2016, 11:54:02 pm »
Nice looking bow ajooter. I like the handle work and the ripples in the bows back.  Is it hhb?
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2365 on: April 08, 2016, 05:57:07 am »
It's actually hickory Greg....thanks for comments guys.  Getting close now.  I hope to be shipping in a couple weeks.

Offline half eye

« Reply #2366 on: April 08, 2016, 07:46:40 am »
Well I got to this party a little late but  add my name to the  "really like" list sir
rich

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2367 on: April 08, 2016, 08:06:22 am »
It's actually hickory Greg....thanks for comments guys.  Getting close now.  I hope to be shipping in a couple weeks.

I don't think we can ship yet. Fred hasn't gave us the ok. Unless I missed it.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2368 on: April 08, 2016, 09:08:54 am »
Your right gut I gotta check..I know my guy has been posting and looks like he's ready....but I don't know who "my" guy is so I guess I better wait...

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2369 on: April 08, 2016, 09:53:27 am »
 8) ajooter, you've done a fine job and you can ship to your guy whenever you're ready.

I haven't put an "okay to ship to list" together yet but will try to get that done shortly.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.