Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 691040 times)

Offline ajooter

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2475 on: April 12, 2016, 01:36:04 pm »
Ya know....I guess you will just have to wait and see  :-X

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #2476 on: April 12, 2016, 05:38:22 pm »
Sorry Fred and (gift guys) but I can't see the slideshow of your swag, so I'll just have to imagine and say congrats! And you guys generosity is a fine thing. :)
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2477 on: April 12, 2016, 07:10:05 pm »
Gut I'm anything but clever.

Swampman...I've tried shooting lefty with limited success.  I may have to practice more.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2478 on: April 12, 2016, 07:44:47 pm »
Looky there Swampman, Ajooter made that bow a RH NOW. who knows where that bow is going. But I can tell you one thing somebody is gonna be a very happy person. Great job

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #2479 on: April 12, 2016, 07:50:26 pm »
Looky there Swampman, Ajooter made that bow a RH NOW. who knows where that bow is going. But I can tell you one thing somebody is gonna be a very happy person. Great job

Yep, I am back in the running!  Ajooter - are you magic? ???
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #2480 on: April 12, 2016, 09:20:45 pm »

Swampman...I've tried shooting lefty with limited success.  I may have to practice more.
[/quote]

Ajooter, I am certainly not a great shot with my left hand, but I can hit a deer at 10 yards.  It feels real awkward at first but with a lot of practice it is not too bad. 

Offline Loope

« Reply #2481 on: April 12, 2016, 10:19:07 pm »
These bows are all looking great!  I am a little slow this past week, not by choice though.  Heading to a funeral this weekend, and fighting with a migraine.  I didn't feel good tonight, but made myself go out to the shop to do some work.  It really does a body good.  I didn't get much done, but scrounged around some wood to make my steaming box to straighten the limb on the dogwood.  Ready to steam now and see what I can do.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #2482 on: April 13, 2016, 12:27:53 am »
You guys and your right and left handed nonsense. If it doesn't match up for you, just flip her upside down and boom!!! Now it does.  >:D

I've actually put strike plates and pad rests on both sides of the handle on the same bow before, knowing that the bow would be passed around on camping trips and picnics. I figured sooner or later a south paw would come along and wouldn't want them to feel left out. (no pun intended).
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #2483 on: April 13, 2016, 01:14:46 am »
Sorry Fred and (gift guys) but I can't see the slideshow of your swag, so I'll just have to imagine and say congrats! And you guys generosity is a fine thing. :)

I just posted my contribution in the arrows forum, so you can at least see those.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #2484 on: April 13, 2016, 01:33:44 am »
Alright!  The entire thing is about 1" thick, and over 2" wide except at one end where I started knocking it down.  I know I should take the belly down even further on the limbs, but I wanted to figure out where the grip will be before doing that, plus then I can remove more material from the sides.

I used a pencil and picked a grain and followed it the best I could, took a picture and realized nobody can see that kind of thing on a photo so I used a program to paint some lines.  The bottom line is at about 64", the line above it that's solidly in the knot is at 58".  The corresponding colors in the middle of the stave show where the middle is relative to those two points.  Do you think I should stick with 64", or would it be less risky for someone with as little experience as I not deal with the knot and just make a shorter Black Locust bow? 

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2485 on: April 13, 2016, 04:31:20 am »
Ranasp do this same thing again but start at the bottom and let us see where that knot falls in the limb. It looks like it should be real close to the handle area. Make sure you mark the center part again and also mark the 4" down from center each way that will show us your handle and fade area so we can see the knot in conjunction with the handle.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2486 on: April 13, 2016, 05:27:24 am »
Ranasp, a 58" bendy handle would work and might be easier to tiller.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2487 on: April 13, 2016, 02:21:18 pm »
Ranasp after looking at that knot some more. If it's on the side on the belly of the bow then you might be able to take it out in the design of your bow. Let's see a pic of the belly side of the knot since you got it cleaner

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2488 on: April 13, 2016, 04:48:53 pm »
I got the tempered cherry wedges glued into the levers today. Even though the levers are 3/4" thick they were still flexing. So I figured I'd insert a more suff yet still light wood into the levers. I just gotta let it cure then clean it up. Once I get the bow cleaned up to my satisfaction I'll put a thread wrap around the levers to assist the glue line in holding them together since the glue line isn't the greatest. im getting excited to see how this one will shoot. Just as brace it feels snappy to me. Some of the knota have me a little worried, but I'm confident in it holding together.

Kyle

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2489 on: April 13, 2016, 07:33:30 pm »
What kind of glue did ya use cooncatcher?