Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 694061 times)

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2520 on: April 15, 2016, 07:07:15 pm »
Looks good swamp.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline half eye

« Reply #2521 on: April 15, 2016, 07:12:02 pm »
 8) 8) 8)
rich

Online Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #2522 on: April 15, 2016, 07:46:18 pm »
This bow is 62 inches ttt

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2523 on: April 15, 2016, 08:01:58 pm »
Swamp,
             Loving them stiff outers bud, bend looks balanced and the skins are a plus... 8)
                                                                                                                                       Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Online Swampman

« Reply #2524 on: April 15, 2016, 08:08:37 pm »
Thanks Don.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2525 on: April 15, 2016, 08:46:32 pm »
62"...I bet she's a snappy Lil devil!

Offline DuBois

« Reply #2526 on: April 15, 2016, 11:14:04 pm »
I know I been absent from this trade mostly. It has been a crappy year so far with my sister and dads deaths and now the wife and I are gonna call it quits before summer's over. Don't mean to sound like an old country tune but that is the way it is. The dogs are healthy at least  ;)
If I am not around here a lot you know why. And don't you go thinkin I won't be finishing the trade bow on time. It's gonna get done!

Online Swampman

« Reply #2527 on: April 15, 2016, 11:31:00 pm »
DuBois, sounds like some tough times.  Building bows is good medicine. Take care and I wish you the best.

Mike

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #2528 on: April 16, 2016, 12:24:32 am »
Well, after struggling with a bad case of a chest cold and a sinus infection, I got to cracking on my bow.  Unfortunately, that's what happened as I was working on it (well, more like breaking than cracking).  It's just a minor setback, as it was the core lam that broke on me as I was trying to form it into a recurve shape.  I have more material to make another tapered core, but my problem right now is time.  Work is starting to pile more onto my plate and the final orchestra concert of the year is looming.  So instead of using the precious time I have now to try to get back to where I was on the trilam, I've decided to fall back on a more tried-and-true style for myself.  Now, I do want to finish this trilam for my bow trade victim, but I know I can get a board bow bending within a few days time, so that's what I'll be working on now.  I have some long overdue vacation coming at the end of May, so that's when I'll really focus on the trilam.  But for now... here's some pictures of plan C!

I went to the local hardware store and saw this interesting piece of hickory.  It was the straightest I could find, but it has an interesting pattern.  There's a knot that disrupted the grain, so I couldn't just make an easy-peasy board bow without having one limb having a fair amount of runoff. 

However, on either side of the knot, the grain straightened out long enough to get enough length for a proper sized limb plus some change for a splice.

So after cutting the limbs out and roughing out the limb profile, I spliced them together!  I plan on using the heartwood part of the board for a handle and tip overlays, so it'll be neat to have that nice contrast from the same piece of hickory (plus smelling the heartwood as I worked on it made me hungry for some smoked brisket! mmmm).

So I just glued the splice together tonight.  My plan is to finish cutting out the outline of the bow and get the handle section glued on tomorrow, then cut out/rasp the limbs to the proper thickness on Sunday, then get the bow on the tillering tree Monday.
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2529 on: April 16, 2016, 05:49:29 am »
Stuck,
          Keep in mind that the last 6" on that ELB probably wont bend, I'm a fan of stiff tips though, JMHO...I could post you some examples if you would like...

Don

yes please Don that'd be really helpful
Andrew

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2530 on: April 16, 2016, 07:33:56 am »
Stuck,
          Keep in mind that the last 6" on that ELB probably wont bend, I'm a fan of stiff tips though, JMHO...I could post you some examples if you would like...

Don

yes please Don that'd be really helpful
Andrew
  Stuck here's a few examples of stiff outers, hardly if any bending last 4-6"...Did you already pike your stave?
                                                                                                                               Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline half eye

« Reply #2531 on: April 16, 2016, 07:42:31 am »
Dang Don, do you know how to make a UNEVEN bend? Them are some fine lookin bends sir 8)
rich

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2532 on: April 16, 2016, 07:48:25 am »
I would take any one of those Don.   I didn't quite nail the tiller on this one.  Rich mentioned the bottom fade being stiff early on....it still is.  The top limb is 1.5 longer then the bottom limb.  I got in too much of a hurry to finish. On a positive note the bow shoots very well and has good cast.  Holds its original wonky profile and has taken hardly any set.  I will make a nicer bend on the next one.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2533 on: April 16, 2016, 07:49:34 am »
  Thanks Rich, and yea I've made a few hockey sticks...But we ain't allowed to post those  >:D >:D >:D
                                                                                                                                            Don

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2534 on: April 16, 2016, 07:49:39 am »
I just read your post rich....my thoughts exactly!!  Makin us all feel inadequate! ;D