Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 694071 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2580 on: April 20, 2016, 01:10:19 pm »
Michael, take that with you to the Classic, you can't go wrong with the help you'll get.

I've never been there but if I could afford the trip I'd be there 3 weeks early only hoping they could put up with me.

You have to  understand that I'm almost as old as Pappy but don't get around near as much as he does.;

Fred,  from the looks of the Google maps your only about 4 to 5 hours from mojam. Surely your old ride could make it there! Come on down in July,  I'll be there all week!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2581 on: April 20, 2016, 01:36:00 pm »
I might just get that old wagon on the road for this year. I'd like to see old  ;D Bob Barnes and meet a few of you guys. Don't know why they had to choose the hottest time of the year to hold this one but mayhaps I can survive a couple days.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #2582 on: April 20, 2016, 01:57:59 pm »
Come on down bud, I'll have ac in my camper! And there is always a cold beverage available!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Loope

« Reply #2583 on: April 20, 2016, 06:19:46 pm »
ajooter, thanks for the input.  I definitely still have some shaping to do and will get rid of the sharp angles.  But I have a question for you... why do you start with a thin lamination rather than gluing on a single block?  Is the reason just aesthetic, or does it have some effect on strength, ease of assembly, or other purpose?

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2584 on: April 20, 2016, 06:29:17 pm »
Thinner lamination are less likely pop because there is less leverage on the lamination when the bow starts to bend and if it bends up into the handle area.  In my opinion anyway....others feel free to chime in.

Offline half eye

« Reply #2585 on: April 20, 2016, 06:42:36 pm »
Loope,
      I agree with Ajooter. Thin laminations are better than a monolithic block but also with either one you do need a low fade angle as well. One other thing some woods make better monolithic blocks than others, one example is black walnut which in my experience is very forgiving of "popping off" where some of the harder woods are not.  Like I said though, just one guys' opinion.
rich

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #2586 on: April 20, 2016, 09:08:23 pm »
No advice from me. I've never added mass to a handle, They either bend or they don't. My experiences in life are many but my bowyer skills are limited.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #2587 on: April 20, 2016, 09:42:42 pm »
I'll get the progress pictures posted tomorrow morning, but for the most part, the piece of wood is now bow-shaped! It's just barely floor tillered, but I have a touch more shaping to do to even things up, then I'll put her on the tiller tree and start bending this weekend.
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #2588 on: April 20, 2016, 11:10:01 pm »
I believe that anyone on government assistance should be denied the right to vote. and there's not a lot that I believe in. Figure it out, if working Americans were the only ones allowed to cast a ballot, we wouldn't be in this mess.

You must be half in the bag and watching the news. You never know who you're offending with that comment.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #2589 on: April 20, 2016, 11:40:22 pm »
Really? So you're looking to offend and start a debate on your own trade thread? My opinion not a very good way to help showcase all the guys that are working hard in your trade. If you want political debates take it elsewhere. You know the rules. So you see Mr. Fred?

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #2590 on: April 20, 2016, 11:46:22 pm »
Yes, you are correct. My apologies Paul.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2591 on: April 21, 2016, 12:03:45 am »
Thank you again for running the trade Fred.  It's easy to get emotional when thinking about the way the world works in general anymore.  People are easily offended.

Got any extra room out in the stix?! ;D

Back to building bows now!!  I know your running this trade Fred but I'm going to need to see some progress pics.  Or have you been too busy playing with all your new toys from half eye and the gang?!  >:D

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #2592 on: April 21, 2016, 12:18:39 am »
I can show you one I busted. Damn thing had a minor twist in the top limb and I was determined to straighten it out. Busted that SOB. We now have a brand new project. I'll post it tomorrow. Might not be my trade bow but guarantee you I'll make a shooter out of it.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #2593 on: April 21, 2016, 09:23:11 am »
Thanks for the perspective PD. Every now and then I need to look at things  from a different angle and that did it.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2594 on: April 21, 2016, 09:32:45 am »
I believe that anyone on government assistance should be denied the right to vote. and there's not a lot that I believe in. Figure it out, if working Americans were the only ones allowed to cast a ballot, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Couldn't agree more, Fred. When my stage 4 bone cancer inflicted wife went to vote this winter, I told her to keep her ass to home because she has no right to cast a vote. Not only is she on government assistance now, but her worthless azz was also a 25 year goverment employee. Double whammy! So, she stayed home and cooked instead of voting like a good woman should.

Huh?!?!

You gotta stop posting this stuff on here...I don't even think your supposed to be posting this around the campfire.  Not that I don't agree with Fred's original post but I think that this needs to stop here and now!  This is not the place to discuss such matters!