Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 693647 times)

Offline ajooter

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2595 on: April 21, 2016, 09:59:37 am »
I respect your perspective 100% pearly....Unfortunately I don't think we will ever be able to understand how the system works....or for that matter doesn't work.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2596 on: April 21, 2016, 10:02:05 am »
OK, this will stop now! Let's keep our political and religious views off of this forum, please.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2597 on: April 21, 2016, 10:54:57 am »
My apologies to everyone. My original post on this subject is completely out of line.
Fred
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #2598 on: April 21, 2016, 11:53:35 am »
As promised, here are the pictures of where the bow is at now:

"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2599 on: April 21, 2016, 11:56:01 am »
Hi guys, so my holly D-bow is now 62" ttt, the centre 1/3 is parallel and 34mm wide by 26mm thick, constant taper from the ends of the parallel section to the tips which are 24mm wide by 18mm thick. Draw weight is huge but it is moving, any ideas as to what the dimensions should be for 50# at 28"?

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2600 on: April 21, 2016, 12:37:11 pm »
what do you have for wood there tynd?

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #2601 on: April 21, 2016, 12:44:26 pm »
what do you have for wood there tynd?

Hickory.  It's from a board that was pretty straight grained, but I had to cut the limbs separately and spice it together as a knot in the middle of board caused the grain to change directions.  The handle is from that same board, but it is heartwood.

My plan is to leave it fairly wide and try to make it more of a Mollegabet, but with how short the lever section is (without giving out too much for the dimensions, the static limb is half the length of the moving limb), I'm not opposed to tapering the width of the limb (especially closer to the tip) if it makes everything bend nicely. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 12:52:39 pm by ty_in_ND »
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #2602 on: April 21, 2016, 01:19:05 pm »
Looks good so far Ty. Love me a molly bow! The length of the levers sounds about right. I've only made a couple Molly bows, but I'm pretty sure you want about half the length of working limb.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #2603 on: April 21, 2016, 03:35:47 pm »
Well, from what I've read and seen, the "standard" for molle's is the static portion of the limb should be the same length as the working limb.  I've also seen people go shorter for the static limb, which is what I want to do.

Offline half eye

« Reply #2604 on: April 21, 2016, 07:23:23 pm »
Hey Ty,
     You can make a Mollegabet anyway you see fit sir,,,,the shorter lever version just requires a different tiller shape and working limb profile. The long lever version works on the same principle as a Trebuchet...where-in the working limb (weight box) travels less distance and the lever tip travels a very great distance by comparison (throwing arm of the Trebuchet).
    The shrot lever versions are on the same principle as the American flat bor with stiff, short, tapered tip sections...which requires the working limb to bend more and further to impart speed to the tip.

Either way will work for you sir....I suggest that you build it to the picture you have in your mind and just tiller accordingly....dont worry about the "standard", make the bow you want to.
rich

Offline bubby

« Reply #2605 on: April 21, 2016, 07:54:04 pm »
Ty i like to taper the working limb in a pyramid to an inch wide about 12-13" from the tips then the top fade tapers to 3/4"and then straight to 1/2" tip to start and recurve the tip if that gives you any ideas
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Drewster

« Reply #2606 on: April 21, 2016, 08:21:54 pm »
Ty, looking good so far.  Rich will get you dialed in.  He's our resident "Molly Pro" :-)   We're blessed with a lot of knowledge here to help us out.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #2607 on: April 21, 2016, 09:06:14 pm »
Hello all, started a new with a fresh piece of hickory...simple stick and string...like how its shooting. now to fancy it up alittle-Hammertime

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #2608 on: April 21, 2016, 11:59:16 pm »
That is looking good Hammertime.  The bend looks nice and even. 

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #2609 on: April 22, 2016, 04:23:32 am »
Sorry for the inactivity!  I went out to the shop the other day and my mind went completely blank! :o
I'd forgotten everything thing I've learned and did a lot of head scratching! So I didn't mess with building any bows. I'm off this weekend and I'm on nights so I will be able to get some work done. Hopefully my head is screwed on tight this time  ;D  I've got several Osage bows roughed out and ready for tiller so I will be posting a lot of pics and questions. My plan A is done but I want to get plan b and c done And maybe 4 done as well. Btw I see a ton of great looking bow coming out. Congrats to all of you for your fine work!
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%