Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 693920 times)

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2625 on: April 23, 2016, 12:41:00 am »
Gut, your bow has been one of my favorites thus far. It would be welcome on my porch any day.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #2626 on: April 23, 2016, 07:55:26 am »
I need a little help with one.  This Osage has a knot that has been worked out but the tip is going downhill and I was wondering if it can be steamed out or up?  I've tried heat but that didn't work. It's about 10" from the tip. Let me know what y'all think. Thank you for the feed back in advance.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2627 on: April 23, 2016, 08:12:32 am »
Looks like you have got some heat on the back of the bow...that's a big no no Tim.  I think you may have to reduce the limb a little more before trying to correct that limb.  If the heat scorching is too much on the back you could always just chase another ring.

I had a kink like that in one of my limbs and I just left it.  You can tiller around a kink like that.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2628 on: April 23, 2016, 09:04:33 am »
Pay attention PA trade guys. The  FUMMED COPPER HEAD BLACK LOCUS is package up and going to the post office in the morning. So every body start looking on your porches somebody is gonna get a trade bow next week. If you don't like it when it arrives please PM half eye for his address and you can mail it to him. I'm sure he would appreciate it. :)

Just mailed the bow. Says it will be there Tuesday. Hope my victim likes it.

Offline half eye

« Reply #2629 on: April 23, 2016, 09:21:46 am »
Gutshot.....you a bad man sir  >:D >:D >:D....does all that teasing come natural or did ya learn how to do that?
rich

Offline kid bow

« Reply #2630 on: April 23, 2016, 09:50:52 am »
Hey all sorry I haven't uploaded anything in forever. My behind has been at work from 3 am to noon daily and with bills to pay and a new apartment I've been busy. I will upload during the day with a few new pictures and what's been going on
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2631 on: April 23, 2016, 10:05:47 am »
Pay attention PA trade guys. The  FUMMED COPPER HEAD BLACK LOCUS is package up and going to the post office in the morning. So every body start looking on your porches somebody is gonna get a trade bow next week. If you don't like it when it arrives please PM half eye for his address and you can mail it to him. I'm sure he would appreciate it. :)

Can't wait till it gets here.  can you send me my tracking number, please?

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #2632 on: April 23, 2016, 10:07:36 am »

That will be just in time for me to take it to the Classic.  ;D
Steve Bennett

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2633 on: April 23, 2016, 10:20:06 am »
Half eye. It comes natural I guess. Grew up around it. But it's all for fun.

Jeff that tracking number was lost to the trash lol

Turtle I thought about bringing it to the classic to give to you but didn't know if you would be there. Lol

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #2634 on: April 23, 2016, 12:49:39 pm »
Well Gut, you just made me very upset that I am going to be away from home this week for work.  If that bow shows up at my house and I am not home, I will not be happy. 

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2635 on: April 23, 2016, 11:03:49 pm »

I slapped the rest on ...all that's left is to put some poor suckers name on her!

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2636 on: April 24, 2016, 07:23:32 am »
Ajooter make sure you spell it right. GUTSHOT  ;D

Offline jandersson

« Reply #2637 on: April 25, 2016, 08:20:34 am »
A quick update  before I go to work. Finally got all cambium off the stave, it was a pain! Laid it out yesterday night and hope to get it roughed out tonight. Moscow Fur  got good goat/deer hides right?
Have a nice day guys!

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #2638 on: April 25, 2016, 08:22:05 am »
got the stave down to uniform thickness this weekend, now I have to deal with a few problems/opportunites ;).  I have a couple questions.  There is a little bit of propeller twist, and based on a preliminary eyeballing it looks like there is some side to side stuff I need to correct.  I also want to flip the tips, but I will likely do that with steam later.  I am not sure which step to work on next, or if it even matters.  Can you guys help me out here?

• Should I do the side to side corrections and any reflex/deflex evening out first OR
  • should I do the propellor twist first

Neither of those issues are really bad, and I think I can get them out with the heat gun.  With the heat gun, should I oil that stave down good with mineral oil or something first, or just get it hot with the heat gun sans fat?
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2639 on: April 25, 2016, 08:35:38 am »
Joachim, looking forward to seeing that black walnut.

Sidmand, I generally use a caul and try to get the alignment and twist done at the same time with a heat gun on the form. Sometimes go slow and do it in a couple sessions, maybe ven more depending on how severe.

When I've tried to work it in one swoop is when I've had trouble with checking and cracks so just make sure not to over tighten the clamps and forcing the wood.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.