Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 693593 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2655 on: April 26, 2016, 07:02:07 am »
Gut,
       You posted this bow so early I missed it somehow, I went back and seen your post...Love the rich color that piece came out...Great work on them skins also, great all around...Pretty good work for a lefty ;)
                                                                                                                                  Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2656 on: April 26, 2016, 07:07:01 am »
That's great drew...can't wait to ship mine out and to receive my bow.  I've got a couple more irons in the fire....ya never know...if I gotta keep waiting there may be some other choices for trade bows  >:D

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #2657 on: April 26, 2016, 07:42:09 am »
That's great drew...can't wait to ship mine out and to receive my bow.  I've got a couple more irons in the fire....ya never know...if I gotta keep waiting there may be some other choices for trade bows  >:D

X2

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #2658 on: April 26, 2016, 10:06:36 am »
I'll get a picture up later, but I got the side profile on the hickory bow roughed out (I took Bubby's advice he gave a few pages ago and now it looks like a pyramid bow with stiff levers).  It's definitely floor tillering now, so all that's left to do is make sure everything is evenly shaped, smooth over any corners/rough spots, file some string grooves and toss it on the tillering tree.
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline bubby

« Reply #2659 on: April 26, 2016, 11:23:24 am »
Ty remwmber to get it tillered to around 20" before you recurve it if thats your plan, no suprises that way
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #2660 on: April 26, 2016, 11:25:56 am »
Timothy,
              Good advice from Fred...I have a cure for you...Recently had an identical deflexed area on a piece of Osage...It took 5-7 minutes steaming and held in place for a few minutes while it cooled...It bent like butter and was a 1/2" thick...I learned this from "half eye" on a past thread and it works...my wife didn't appreciate the orange water drops and I also blamed that on "half eye" >:D
                                                                                                                             Don
Thanks Don! I will give that a try Wednesday or Thursday I'm working till Wednesday morning.  Thank you I hope it works.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Loope

« Reply #2661 on: April 26, 2016, 01:54:41 pm »
I am heading out to the Classic!  Something came up yesterday and I wasn't sure if I would make it, and am getting a later start than I wanted, but am ready to go now.  I've got my dogwood with me, as well as three other possibilities.  I will get one finished this week for sure!  Hope to see some of you guys there.

Michael 

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #2662 on: April 26, 2016, 06:29:31 pm »
I'm laying out the shape of the bow, am I wildly off or am I heading in the right direction? 

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2663 on: April 26, 2016, 06:34:36 pm »
I lay Mineola from the belly....much easier to follow the grain in my opinion.  But it looks like your on the right track.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2664 on: April 26, 2016, 06:39:26 pm »
Looking good to me Ranasp. Post a pic of the whole bow please so we can see it

Offline half eye

« Reply #2665 on: April 26, 2016, 06:40:25 pm »
Your grip/ fade/limb taper all look good.....pretty much spot on
rich

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2666 on: April 26, 2016, 06:56:34 pm »
Ranasp,
             I agree with Half eye and Gut...Make sure though you are following that grain out the length of the limb...I don't know your experience level so to be basic, draw a center line following the grain and then draw your limb taper from center line...Looks like that is what you are doing from here... ;)
                                                                                                                                           Don
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 07:00:13 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2667 on: April 26, 2016, 07:17:05 pm »
   Timothy,
                 Sounds good buddy, Remember to put a towel or something on your leg...I forgot to do that and had to keep moving the stave because it was heating up my leg, gotta move quickly after pulling the foil off and hold for 4-5 minutes while it cools enough to hold the position you want...I noticed you had some twist, if you want to you could twist simultaneously as you push down on the bend and remove most of it...It moved like butter for me...Don't be afraid to crank down on it a little past where it needs to be because of some slight spring back after release... If you need some help PM me or Half eye, he's the master with steam and gloves...
                                                                                                                                            Don

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2668 on: April 26, 2016, 08:24:41 pm »
Ranasp, as long as the tips line up close through the center of the handle and follow the grain you should be OK.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline jandersson

« Reply #2669 on: April 27, 2016, 12:15:52 am »
Got a flatbow drawn up. I start with 2" at the fades but for how long do i keep the limbs parallel? Right now they're parallel or about 2/3rd of the limb, that seems excessive, but what do I know? ::)