Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 693613 times)

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2760 on: May 13, 2016, 07:32:50 am »

Oh and I almost forgot there's good news too. I received my trade bow for good old half eye. It's an absolute beast. It has to be drawing at 75 lbs at least. I had to make new arrows for it. Two sets actually, the first was too weak in spine at 65#. It likes 75-80 #.  I sinks arrows deep into the target. If it were any heavier it might be too much for me to shoot, but as it is is just what I wanted for a max draw weight bow. Plus it is a replica of a Mohawk bow, so it feels at home here in NW PA and matches my new haircut.

Pictures!!!

Offline half eye

« Reply #2761 on: May 13, 2016, 09:49:00 am »
Hey Kid,
     Glad that you like it sir.....hope it serves you long and well. I was sort of nervous about it because it was way beyond my ability to shoot it in and all that. Also you are an accomplished bowyer so ya can always scrape here down some.
     Hope ya make some meat with her.
rich

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #2762 on: May 13, 2016, 10:29:39 am »

Oh and I almost forgot there's good news too. I received my trade bow for good old half eye. It's an absolute beast. It has to be drawing at 75 lbs at least. I had to make new arrows for it. Two sets actually, the first was too weak in spine at 65#. It likes 75-80 #.  I sinks arrows deep into the target. If it were any heavier it might be too much for me to shoot, but as it is is just what I wanted for a max draw weight bow. Plus it is a replica of a Mohawk bow, so it feels at home here in NW PA and matches my new haircut.

Pictures!!!

Of the hair or the bow!  >:D

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #2763 on: May 13, 2016, 10:35:45 am »

Of the hair or the bow!  >:D

Patrick

Both!

Offline dylanholderman

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2765 on: May 13, 2016, 07:07:10 pm »
sanding, sanding, sanding, sanding. . .  . .

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #2766 on: May 14, 2016, 12:37:35 am »
Patience is a virtue guys. I'm still trying to get the hang of linux. After this last round of infection I'm done with windows. It was hard for me to tell which had more malicious code, windows or the virus. To be safe I just wiped the drive and got a new OS. I'm learning the new software so give me a day or two.

I don't suppose any body has any porcupine hair laying around? My mohawk kinda runs out at my bald spot, so I was going to make a roach to fill out the back for special occasions. I guess porcupine guard hair and buck tail were the traditional materials. I looked on line and the stuff is crazy expensive. With the way other fur prices have been lately it was surprising. If I can't find any I'll just go to the ethnic hair supply place and get some horse hair extensions. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2767 on: May 15, 2016, 12:32:20 pm »
DK, I've got some buffalo hair>  :laugh:
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline kid bow

« Reply #2768 on: May 15, 2016, 05:11:06 pm »
when am I supposed to ship this bow? lol its sitting real nice in my room
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2769 on: May 15, 2016, 05:17:07 pm »
Kid bow post a pick of it I've never seen your bow. Unless I've overlooked it.....

Offline Loope

« Reply #2770 on: May 15, 2016, 09:31:59 pm »
I haven't been able to do anything for over a week.  My ankle and knee swelled up for no apparent reason, at least not that I know, and I had to stay off my feet and keep it elevated.  My foot was so swollen that I could barely wear a sock, it was stretched tight and uncomfortable.  A couple doctor visits and I still don't know the reason yet.  But the swelling has gone down on its own and I was able to work some this weekend.

Here is a picture of my plan C dogwood... not the Plan B dogwood I had been working on before.  Thought I would see how far I could get this one and then jump back to the Plan B.  This "new" dogwood is close to the same specs, but has an 8 inch handle with walnut lam, where the Plan B is 10 inch handle with cherry lam.

This picture was taken when I had just a few inches to go.  I kept working on the right limb and got it a little more balanced, got it to draw length, and did a heat treat on one limb.  Will heat treat the other limb this week.  What do you guys think?

Michael

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2771 on: May 15, 2016, 09:52:32 pm »
  Right inner a tad stiff...Nice curves though, looking good ;)  If you only have a few inches you may want to finish tiller in the hand by camera or mirror...
                                                                                                                       Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline jandersson

« Reply #2772 on: May 16, 2016, 09:02:47 am »
Loope,
To my novice eyes it looks pretty darn good!

Put my walnut on the tree this morning. The wonkiness is the left limb gonna mess with my head so I'll be back for advice I'm sure.

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #2773 on: May 16, 2016, 12:10:55 pm »
Ok I'm officially done with having guests over.  Had a great time with visiting friends, but got absolutely nothing done.  Finally got to dig in yesterday and make some progress, I also started hacking off some sapwood from another stave in a fit of "DO SOMETHING ALREADY".

I cut down the stave to the finished length, and shaved off the sides until they reached the pencil marks.  At the widest part it's 2", tips are 1/2".  Nearly the entire thing is 1" deep, although due to some ripping from the knot on the belly, at the very edge it's more like 1/4" deep in one spot.  I'm thinking that will be alright since I have to carve off a lot more from the belly, right? 

I have a question about the handle, you can see it does a funky bend because of that honkin' big knot, which makes it really hard for my draw knife to not either skip right off of it or dig way in there and try yanking out more than I'm comfortable with.  Should I saw out those areas and then just rasp them into a proper handle? 

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #2774 on: May 16, 2016, 01:03:21 pm »
Got some heat correcting done on my main stave yesterday.  Had to even out the reflex a bit, had some sideways bend that took the string off the handle, and had some propeller twist to deal with.  Think I got it mostly worked out - I'm going to let it sit and rehydrate till the weekend and then check it and do a little more tweaking to get it ready for tillering.

"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle