Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 693895 times)

Offline ajooter

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2880 on: May 31, 2016, 08:24:01 pm »
Coming along nicely Dubois....i agree with the others couple little stiff spots on the top limb.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #2881 on: June 01, 2016, 07:02:28 am »
Debois.  The yew bow is all done but for the handle wrap.  I'm going back on nights this weekend so I'll get to do some more work done and be able to finish another one. I've got some Osage to chase as well.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #2882 on: June 01, 2016, 08:50:34 am »
Got the tips flipped, and one of them popped a bit of a splinter on the belly, so I'm going to do some maple underlays.  Got some antler tines cut as well.  Letting the wood stabilize some, and back to the heat gun.  Some of the limb twist came back during the steam bending, so I got to straiten that back out again, and I need to even out the deflex a bit more too.  Then, on to the final serious tillering.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #2883 on: June 01, 2016, 08:54:52 am »
Hope my victim likes bumblebees, cause this bows gonna look a lot like one when it's finished out ;).  I think I'm going to blacken the tips and back with ferric acetate (vinagroon), but leave the belly unstained.  Black and yella, with maybe a yellow rawhide wrap.  I'm going to use some of the Osage shavings to make a yellow dye, and soak the rawhide for the grip in it to dye it nice and yella.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline DuBois

« Reply #2884 on: June 01, 2016, 10:15:29 am »
I prefer honey bees. But that is looking good whatever you call it.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2885 on: June 01, 2016, 11:54:05 am »
I prefer bows...a little color is just a bonus!! >:D  Cant wait to see her all dressed up Sid!

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #2886 on: June 01, 2016, 12:48:21 pm »
I hope that it doesn't mean that bow will only sting once then die.  >:D  :laugh:  Perhaps a yellow jacket would be a better comparison?
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #2887 on: June 01, 2016, 02:20:08 pm »
hah, no.  That's why I said 'bumblebee'.  Bumblebees can sting, and they don't die after stinging you, and it hurts like hell too!  I was moving some old hay bails one time, and there was a nest of bumbles in there, and they were very upset when I took their roof off.  And, they let me know just how mad they were, multiple times!

I actually like the old bumble - gentle bugs most of the time.  I hate me some yellow jackets though.  At least the bumblebees stung me for cause.  Yellow jackets are just jerks - been stung by more than I care to remember as a surveyor and just being out in the woods. 

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2888 on: June 01, 2016, 02:43:51 pm »
It took some backtracking but I found the stix bow! That is a fine lookin creation you got there!

TimR, yours was lookin awful good too. How's it coming now?

Hey Janderson, did that walnut get straight or did you decide to leave it wonky?

I'll try to get some update pics of the progress if wife is willing.

what page was it on?

Offline bubby

« Reply #2889 on: June 01, 2016, 03:19:45 pm »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #2890 on: June 02, 2016, 05:28:04 pm »
Didn't make much progress from my last picture, but I want to make sure I am doing it right. I still need to take wood off on the inner 1/3 of the limbs, right?
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong"

David

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #2891 on: June 02, 2016, 05:33:08 pm »
@David Ewing , tips are still looking stiff to me , and, unless it's an illusion, the right limb is bending a bit more near the fades
~Isaia

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2892 on: June 02, 2016, 05:59:31 pm »
Right limb inner half is stiff...left limb inner third is stiff.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2893 on: June 02, 2016, 11:07:47 pm »
This advice has been given plenty of times before, but I will give it again--if you are new to bow building, make yourself a tillering gizmo. It will tell you exactly where flat spots and hinges are.  It can't be fooled like your eye can.  It won't solve every problem (no good around the recurved tips or too close to the fades, for example) but it will really help you begin to see the bends.  It really helped me early on, and really helps me still.  Try it.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #2894 on: June 03, 2016, 11:08:51 am »
This advice has been given plenty of times before, but I will give it again--if you are new to bow building, make yourself a tillering gizmo. It will tell you exactly where flat spots and hinges are.  It can't be fooled like your eye can.  It won't solve every problem (no good around the recurved tips or too close to the fades, for example) but it will really help you begin to see the bends.  It really helped me early on, and really helps me still.  Try it.

Good advice! 
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch