Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 693632 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #3060 on: June 25, 2016, 11:17:23 am »
I like that bow Jeff, have from the start. Somebody will be a happy archer.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3061 on: June 25, 2016, 11:35:56 am »
Well, I think 5 coats of tung oil will do it... it got a wee bit on the humid side up here (it's been a very wet June for us), so it took a while longer for the tung oil to dry.  I think I got the first few coats on before the humidity got crazy, so hopefully the bow has been protected from it.

I'm going to get the string whipped out today and shoot it with the bow a bunch tomorrow and Monday.  Then I'll get the final pics ready to go.

On a side note, if it matters to any of you... I've never gotten the impression that this was a trade for the "sub-standard" bowyers.  Many of the bows I've seen on this trade are superb.  I also never got the impression from any of the people who commented in this thread who are participating in the invitational trade that they were looking down at us from up on high.  They've been just as helpful as the other experienced bowyers who are participating in this trade and I am glad that they took the time to look at the threads posted here and weighed in with their advice.

Just my $.02, take it for what you will.
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3062 on: June 25, 2016, 12:10:24 pm »
Thank you for that Ty.  I agree that there are indeed some fine bows and superb craftsmanship being exhibited on this thread.  I also think kudos are in order for Fred for doing such a fine job keeping it going. 
   As for the other bit, speaking purely for myself accepting the invitation for the invitational was never a matter of setting myself apart let alone "above" anyone.  Quite frankly, I resent the hell out of the implication.  I'm no better than anyone else and anyone that says different can kiss my furry pimple ridden donkey!  I'm sick of this BS!
  That being said, Ty where are you in the great state of ND?  We don't seem to have many members from North Dakota.  I'm headed for Mandan today and Minot on Monday.  Josh

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3063 on: June 25, 2016, 12:37:34 pm »
Thank you for that Ty.  I agree that there are indeed some fine bows and superb craftsmanship being exhibited on this thread.  I also think kudos are in order for Fred for doing such a fine job keeping it going. 
   As for the other bit, speaking purely for myself accepting the invitation for the invitational was never a matter of setting myself apart let alone "above" anyone.  Quite frankly, I resent the hell out of the implication.  I'm no better than anyone else and anyone that says different can kiss my furry pimple ridden donkey!  I'm sick of this BS!
  That being said, Ty where are you in the great state of ND?  We don't seem to have many members from North Dakota.  I'm headed for Mandan today and Minot on Monday.  Josh
You da man..couldnt agree more...its call a badonkadonk anyway  ;D

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #3064 on: June 25, 2016, 01:35:17 pm »
I think the current bow trade format is probably the best way to run things.  From where I'm standing there is a lot less negativity happening currently as apposed to last year.  I'll continue to participate in the open trade and if I ever get an invite, I'll do that one too.  While the bows produced by everyone are truly equal in the sense that they are are labors of love with the makers heart and soul poured into them, there is quite a range of experience and skill represented by the members of this site.  With the current set up, no one gets left out and no one should feel like the exchange was unfair. Plus as a self admitted "greenhorn" the potential for an invite after I build up my bowyer resume, can be great motivation. It a goal I can achieve that depends on the critiques of the more experienced members of the site. Art school was very similar and it proved a quick and effective way to improve understanding and skill set. As a whole I don't think of the participants of the invite trade as elitists, but rather a wonderful resource of teachers, advisers, fellow bowyers, and more or less friends. I may have never met many members of this site face to face, but if you weren't here I wouldn't be able to talk bows/building with anyone. My wife would have run away screaming by now if I hadn't found a more receptive crowd for discussions of this particular interest of mine. I would then be left babbling things about tiller, set, string follow, and cast to random strangers on the bus, which could easily end up with me in a straight jacket.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3065 on: June 25, 2016, 02:26:31 pm »
You guys have a great trade going on here.  There are some great bows being posted.  I just hope the bitterness of one man doesn't bring this trade down anymore than it already has.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3066 on: June 25, 2016, 02:46:18 pm »
Josh, I'm from Grand Forks!  I guess I wouldn't expect very many North Dakotans since there aren't very many of us to begin with.  ;) I won't be too terribly close to where you'll be driving, but if your adventures ever take you to eastern ND or NW Minnesota, let me know!  It would always be great to meet and chat with someone from here .

Well, here's a quick pic of the string.  I hope he's not a Packers fan :P Now to shoot it in!

Barring any monumental catastrophes, this bow is pretty much done.  However, it's still my second string bow.  I will actually have time this upcoming week to continue work on the trilam.  I really want to get the trilam finished for the trade, as I've seen the bow my trade made for his and I really want to make him something as nice.  Not that there's anything particularly wrong with the plan B bow, I just want to make the best bow I can.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 03:23:08 pm by ty_in_ND »
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #3067 on: June 25, 2016, 03:38:36 pm »
Looks good TY

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3068 on: June 25, 2016, 04:09:56 pm »
You guys have a great trade going on here.  There are some great bows being posted.  I just hope the bitterness of one man doesn't bring this trade down anymore than it already has.

You seem to have some pretty big gonads with a response like that and I personally take offense to it.

Mr. Rouseau has been an uplifting and very distinguished part of this trade offering more help than any other member in my opinion. He is entitled to his opinion and my apologies if you don't like it.

This trade is coming along just fine and I'm proud to have all of the members involved working diligently on their projects. Keep the good work guys and gals.

I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline PatM

« Reply #3069 on: June 25, 2016, 05:21:27 pm »
the bows in our lowly trade are the equal of ANY made by anyone.
rich

The bows on the other thread are certainly not that good.  Or at least nobody is claiming they are  the equal of Nels Grumley.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 06:30:01 pm by PatM »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3070 on: June 25, 2016, 05:42:58 pm »

You seem to have some pretty big gonads with a response like that and I personally take offense to it.

Mr. Rouseau has been an uplifting and very distinguished part of this trade offering more help than any other member in my opinion. He is entitled to his opinion and my apologies if you don't like it.

This trade is coming along just fine and I'm proud to have all of the members involved working diligently on their projects. Keep the good work guys and gals.

And I'm entitled to my opinion.  He seems to be very bitter about the invitational trade.  Maybe because he wasn't invited.  I don't know.  I wasn't involved in running it so I don't know if he was asked to join or not.  Maybe if he truly understood the reasons for the invitational trade he wouldn't feel the way that he does.  Nobody that I know of from the invitational trade has made any negative posts about your trade or the people in it.  The only negative comments are coming from him.  In my opinion that is hurting the spirit of your trade.  He is the one that referred to this as the lowly trade.  It wasn't anyone from the invitational. 

Life is to short to always be pissed off and looking for a fight.  That is something I tell myself all the time.  We don't know how many days we have left to walk this earth.  I'm trying to make the most of out my time as I can.   
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3071 on: June 25, 2016, 06:09:17 pm »
You are entitled to your opinion and I'd as soon you took it somewhere else.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3072 on: June 25, 2016, 06:29:50 pm »
I'm just kind of a hack trying to keep up with some of the best bowyers this country and actually the world have produced recently. I know that I have nailed a couple of bows pretty well but it is actually more normal for me to go and mess around with it too long and end up having to pike it or heat it or scrap it or come in under wt. I am an advanced beginner at best and I know it; but damn I love doing this stuff when I have the time and I know this site and all the folks here have put me way past where I could have gone on my own.
I'd be a little intimidated trying to make a bow for someone I see as a superior bowyer and I don't mind not being invited for whatever reasons. I see no reason for any hard feelings on this site since we are all here voluntarily. Take what you like and leave the rest alone; participate at your leisure people  ;) 8). I am grateful I got this at all.

Free lessons and a bow in the mail???
Shitaki mushrooms! It don't get much easier than that.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #3073 on: June 25, 2016, 06:42:11 pm »
Thanks TimothyR, Bent Badly, Dubois, Sixstones, and Gutshot.

DuBois - you tiller is looking pretty good to me.

Ty - plan B doesn't look to shabby!

As far as hard feelings - none felt here.  I am with DuBois - grateful to have a site like this to go to and learn.  I have seen some great looking bows on all the trades that are going on - well done gentlemen.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #3074 on: June 25, 2016, 08:22:21 pm »
I'm just having fun  making bows. No time to get bent out of shape - that's what work is for. I have appreciated the positive words - even when I post the ugliest thing i could find as a joke,  Ajooter still had something nice to say.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 10:53:44 pm by jeffp51 »