Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 693584 times)

Offline David Ewing

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #3450 on: July 17, 2016, 09:17:35 am »
Gutshot, yes, I have another stave from Half Eye.

60" long, and it is already marked for me to cutout. I was going to cut it a little wide, then smooth the saw marks out leaving it right at 1.5" wide the entire length.

My question now is....  What "style" of bow should I be making? I need 27-28" draw at 45-55 lbs. I was thinking about a D bow, but I'm not sure I have the skills for that yet. I just want something simple and hard to screw up.... again! Haha.
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong"

David

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3451 on: July 17, 2016, 09:35:16 am »
At that drawlength and 60" you would need to make a bendy handle bow.  Leaving it an inch and a half wide at your handle area and tapering it straight to the tips (pyramid style)and then roughing the belly thickness to an even half inch should give you a good starting point with room left for wood removal.

Im sure other will chime in.  Keep after it and you will be successful.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3452 on: July 17, 2016, 10:32:14 am »
At that drawlength and 60" you would need to make a bendy handle bow.  Leaving it an inch and a half wide at your handle area and tapering it straight to the tips (pyramid style)and then roughing the belly thickness to an even half inch should give you a good starting point with room left for wood removal.

Im sure other will chime in.  Keep after it and you will be successful.

Sounds like a good plan to me. You'll get it. I'm sure you have a lot more experience just from this trade and it will all come into play. Looking forward to seeing it  ;)

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #3453 on: July 17, 2016, 10:48:03 am »
Just catching up on the last few pages here, still working on the water situation. I just want to applaud those who have worked hard and posted here, whether their bows have broken or come under weight, etc. And just say that if somebody has put in the time and effort and documented it that I see from some of you guys, I would be happy to receive even a broken or kid's weight bow if the time runs out for you. I mean of course we all want you to send out the super bow you're aiming for, but it's the effort I appreciate, when somebody has tried to do something for me as a gift, that I don't even know. I don't mean give up if things haven't worked out, keep going! I just mean enjoy your work and the fact that you are doing it, and be proud that you are doing something difficult and new to you.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #3454 on: July 17, 2016, 05:10:05 pm »
David -

Did Half Eye lay it out for you so it was ready to cut?  If so, that is what I would do.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #3455 on: July 17, 2016, 05:14:58 pm »
alright guys here is where i am.
after my first bow sadly came in under weight after i got it shot in, i started on this osage ELB.
in the pic i have it drawn to 25in and i'm just over my target weight there so i should have plenty of wood to refine the tiller on my way back to 28in.

the horn knocks are rough shaped and ready to glue on.

now here is my sticking point.
i don't know if i should straighten the side to side bends or just leave them alone. so far they haven't been a problem but it makes the one tip look kind of funny.
what would you do here ???
i could also pike it down to 60in to get rid of that bend and flip the tips a little make a completly different style of bow :o

Offline Drewster

« Reply #3456 on: July 17, 2016, 05:48:24 pm »
Dyland, I wouldn't be too concerned about the side bending if your string alignment is good.  It looks like your alignment might be a little off, but not much.   Some dry heat should fix your alignment pretty easily.

You tiller is coming along too.  I would work on the outer third of the left limb next.  That left limb is not bending quite as nicely as the right limb.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3457 on: July 17, 2016, 08:09:50 pm »
Dylan, I'm liking the looks of that bow. Wish it were coming my direction.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #3458 on: July 17, 2016, 08:11:22 pm »
I think Drewster has it right Dylan.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3459 on: July 17, 2016, 08:16:55 pm »
Dont worry about the twist Dylan....i think your alignment looms fine.

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #3460 on: July 17, 2016, 08:47:50 pm »
Fellas, I'm sorry, I thought I had already posted full draw.  I took pics of it on the tree some time back, I had it out to weight and tiller, but I guess I forgot to post them.  Got the missus to help me with pics just now, here she is.  I still have some beautifying to do, and a little more shooting just to make sure everything is good, but it will go out this week, certainly by Friday.  60" tip to tip, it meets my targets specs.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3461 on: July 17, 2016, 08:58:40 pm »

Well heres some final pictures of the bow.  Still not totally happy with the tiller but ive put a couple 100 arrows through her and I like the way she shoots.  I used no heat whatsoever on this piece of wood.  It took a little set from its original profile but nothing major.  Top limb is 1.5" longer btw.

Comments please!  If anybody insists on me adjusting the tiller ill see what I can do.  Thanks in advance for any criticisms fellas.  Its been real!

PS - Rich mentioned that bottom fade eons ago...

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #3462 on: July 17, 2016, 09:03:18 pm »
Dylon that's life looking great. I wouldn't take much of the character out if you don't have to.

Sidman that's is a nice looking stick. Love the colors
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #3463 on: July 17, 2016, 09:38:03 pm »
Ajooter it does look in the FD pic that the lower fade is stiff. But when I look at the brace pic and the u brace pic that hump makes it a tough one to tiller so if it was mine and it shot good then leave it alone. Like that finish

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #3464 on: July 17, 2016, 09:39:26 pm »
I like that bow ajooter....those lambs on the handle are sweet-Hammertime