Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 694481 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #3465 on: July 17, 2016, 09:47:56 pm »
I've updated the list on page 230 and you guys should correct me if your name is in the wrong category.

Sorry I missed you on the first go around Sid, it's hard keeping track of 31 and 230 pages.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 09:55:59 pm by Fred Arnold »
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #3466 on: July 17, 2016, 10:15:21 pm »
Ajooter, that bow is looking pretty sweet.  I agree with gut's post.  If it is shooting good, leave it.

Sidman, that bow looks real nice. 

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #3467 on: July 17, 2016, 11:41:19 pm »
No worries Fred, I should have made it more clear.  I've done a couple of these types of things on other forums and I know they are tough to manage when they get big/have lots of posts.  Your doing great, and that's my bad. 

I've updated the list on page 230 and you guys should correct me if your name is in the wrong category.

Sorry I missed you on the first go around Sid, it's hard keeping track of 31 and 230 pages.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3468 on: July 18, 2016, 11:47:52 am »
Yeah Fred, you've done a great job with this trade. Thanks

I shipped it out today by the way.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 06:17:16 pm by DuBois »

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #3469 on: July 18, 2016, 02:45:08 pm »
I was planning to pack my bow and it out in the next day or two. I was putting a few arrows through it and I got a little ticking. The knot in the upper fade started to pop loose. I'm glad the knot decided to do that on me before I sent it. I'm going to squirt some warmed up super glue into the knot and wrap with some silk thread. I'll see if that'll do the trick to fix it. If not then I've got a stave of dense tight ringed osage I picked up from MoJam. I should be able to get it ahooting in the next day or two. So I might be pushing a bit in the deadline to get it out. But if it cooperates I should be able to ship it by the beginning of next week. If I have to build a new bow. I'll keep updated.

Kyle

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3470 on: July 18, 2016, 03:01:16 pm »

Well heres some final pictures of the bow.  Still not totally happy with the tiller but ive put a couple 100 arrows through her and I like the way she shoots.  I used no heat whatsoever on this piece of wood.  It took a little set from its original profile but nothing major.  Top limb is 1.5" longer btw.

Comments please!  If anybody insists on me adjusting the tiller ill see what I can do.  Thanks in advance for any criticisms fellas.  Its been real!

PS - Rich mentioned that bottom fade eons ago...

If want some advice? I'd suggest getting a lot more movement on the bottom limb from the kink out. Right now that kink is doing the lions share. The top appears a bit flat mid limb.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3471 on: July 18, 2016, 03:37:06 pm »

These were the areas i was thinking as well....i may try and true her up a little.  Free time is limited right now.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3472 on: July 18, 2016, 03:41:16 pm »
That kink is actually further up the limb then was it looks.  If i get her bending evenly i can put a little heat to it to boost the draw weight back up if need be.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #3473 on: July 18, 2016, 03:59:53 pm »
I tend to agree with PD here. That top limb needs scraped where you have it marked on the second pic. That bottom limb doesn't need any removed where it's marked and that may only add to the problem. Looks to me like you should scrape the bottom limb from a few inches below the kink out toward about 6" from the tips.

How thick are the limbs now and are there any variances on either side of that kink? If you are using a tillering gizmo it won't be of much use at this point with the character in that bottom.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3474 on: July 18, 2016, 06:58:30 pm »

Little scraping in above mentioned areas....noticed that twist in the lower limb.

Fixed the twist tweaked her a little more.  I think it looks better...i really still think it looks stiff out of that lower fade myself...nobody see that?!

Next question....if i want to heat treat to add a little snap....do i have to remove all the laquer?  Its humid as hell right now so I will let the bow sit inside for a few days upstairs near a window to make sure it hasnt sucked up too much moisture.

And yes...this bow is for one of you backwards southpaws....im tired of flipping pictures!! ;D

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3475 on: July 18, 2016, 07:12:12 pm »

maybe a little more wood removal right in here?  Sorry fellas with all the posting...i appreciate your support!!

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #3476 on: July 18, 2016, 08:24:47 pm »
You didn't answer my thickness question and to me it's relevant.

It looks to me like the bottom limb is bending more than the top and I prefer the bottom to be the stronger slightly of the 2 limbs.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3477 on: July 18, 2016, 08:37:07 pm »
Measured at brace just out of the fades it has a 1/16" positive tiller.  That bottom limb thickness has been evened out much more since I made those adjustments.

I still firmly believe the lower fade is stiff coming out a little ways and is causing the rest of the limb to work more.  I think the upper limb may still be a little stiff to boot midlimb out.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #3478 on: July 18, 2016, 08:41:00 pm »
Actually the strung picture looks good. It's sometimes hard to see on character bows what the proper bend should look like. Is the lower fade that you are talking about actually thicker or is that just the way the stave is built?

If you do remove wood from that lower fade you might have to remove the wrap and blend it into the handle area.

Don't get carried away. The perfect bow hasn't been built yet and sometimes the prettiest ones don't turn out to be the best performers. If you feel it shoots good I sure wouldn't be in a rush to make a bunch of late changes.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 08:46:26 pm by Fred Arnold »

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3479 on: July 18, 2016, 08:44:32 pm »
I was told to put my bow down for 5 minutes and help make milk shakes!!!  Be right back Fred....who wants a milk shake anyway?!?!

....yeah i suppose i do  :P