Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 694134 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #3495 on: July 19, 2016, 10:46:30 am »
Ty, that bow in the video is amazing and I can tell it shoots great. I don't know how many bows you've made but will say that your progress is phenomenal. Can't wait to see the trilam.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3496 on: July 19, 2016, 11:11:09 am »
Thanks for the kind word, Fred.  I just wish the video had the bow on it so you could see how it was bending.  But, from my perspective, you can feel it just a touch in the hand when you release the arrow, but I was also using a lighter arrow than I would like (it was about 450 grains).  I'm guessing I would have felt less if I had used a 500-600 grain arrow.  However, the arrow spine I was using was good and the arrows were hitting where I was looking.

Jeff, I used a jointer to get the bamboo and osage down to their current size (the osage I got from Carson @ Echo Archery in 5/16" thickness... I got the boo from him too!).  I have a picture of the jointer on my phone... it's an old beast, but it gets the job done! 

For the walnut, I actually ripped it from a bigger board.  I used a table saw to get the width and to cut that smaller board in half for the thickness (it was a 1 x 10 that was 6" long... if I had a better bandsaw, I would use that instead).  I managed to get a 1/4" thick board from cutting it with the table saw.  From there, I used a DeWalt planer to get it down to 3/16.  That planer is sweet for getting boards down to 1/8" thick, but I haven't figured out a way to use it to put a taper on my lams (it's a bit more difficult since it's using blades to cut the board to size... I would LOVE a sanding planer, but that's a little out of the budget!).

To taper them, I'll get the taper close using the spindle sander that the form is resting on in the form pic.  Then, once the taper is close, I use a hand planer to get it the rest of the way.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 11:18:49 am by ty_in_ND »
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline Loope

« Reply #3497 on: July 19, 2016, 11:15:19 am »
There is a dogwood on the way to one of you.  USPS has it now, should deliver Thursday.
I hope it meets approval of the recipient, it represents my best efforts and abilities.

Enjoy!

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3498 on: July 19, 2016, 11:24:48 am »
In fact, here's the jointer!

It's amazing the stuff you can buy when you have a military base 10 miles away and the airman didn't want to pay for the Air Force to ship heavy things to the base he's transferring to!
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3499 on: July 19, 2016, 05:21:52 pm »
And Loope, with such a sweet bow you're sending out, I wouldn't worry at all about how it will be received!

Offline Loope

« Reply #3500 on: July 19, 2016, 06:41:54 pm »
Thanks Ty, and your Plan B in the video looks great.  I look forward to seeing what you are going to do with a new tri-lam.

David, in your picture showing the pin knots, the two in the center should be fine, but there is one near the edge of the stave that you should watch while your are laying out the bow.  Be  careful to watch for any pin knots at the edge of the bow.  You might be able to shift the layout one way or the other to avoid knots on the edge, or if you can't get away from them, leave a little extra wood around the knot.

Michael

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #3501 on: July 19, 2016, 08:47:29 pm »
Loope, the one off to the side in the pic isn't going to be in the bow. There is one a little ways down that is right on the edge of the bow/extra wood. I'll just cut around it.

Thanks
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong"

David

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #3502 on: July 19, 2016, 10:29:59 pm »
Thanks for the kind word, Fred.  I just wish the video had the bow on it so you could see how it was bending.  But, from my perspective, you can feel it just a touch in the hand when you release the arrow, but I was also using a lighter arrow than I would like (it was about 450 grains).  I'm guessing I would have felt less if I had used a 500-600 grain arrow.  However, the arrow spine I was using was good and the arrows were hitting where I was looking.

Jeff, I used a jointer to get the bamboo and osage down to their current size (the osage I got from Carson @ Echo Archery in 5/16" thickness... I got the boo from him too!).  I have a picture of the jointer on my phone... it's an old beast, but it gets the job done! 

For the walnut, I actually ripped it from a bigger board.  I used a table saw to get the width and to cut that smaller board in half for the thickness (it was a 1 x 10 that was 6" long... if I had a better bandsaw, I would use that instead).  I managed to get a 1/4" thick board from cutting it with the table saw.  From there, I used a DeWalt planer to get it down to 3/16.  That planer is sweet for getting boards down to 1/8" thick, but I haven't figured out a way to use it to put a taper on my lams (it's a bit more difficult since it's using blades to cut the board to size... I would LOVE a sanding planer, but that's a little out of the budget!).

To taper them, I'll get the taper close using the spindle sander that the form is resting on in the form pic.  Then, once the taper is close, I use a hand planer to get it the rest of the way.

I was just looking at the R/D trilam buildalongs on tradgang.  Are you planning to heat-bend the reflexed tips prior to glue up?  Osage bends really easy with dry heat, and I bet that will help the tips keep their reflex.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #3503 on: July 19, 2016, 10:40:32 pm »
Loope...... Is that the same dogwood bow you were shooting at the classic?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 08:17:07 am by turtle »
Steve Bennett

Offline cabinetbowguy

« Reply #3504 on: July 19, 2016, 10:50:03 pm »
From my experience in trilams def bent the osage with a lil dry heat before glue up..... cant wait for my bow to get her loope ;)
Amen

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3505 on: July 20, 2016, 12:03:03 am »
Ty...I just watched the video and that is a really fine bow you are sending to some lucky fellow.
Good job bud!

Offline Loope

« Reply #3506 on: July 20, 2016, 07:51:18 am »
Steve, yes , it is the one from the classic.  Since then I flipped the tips a little and thinned the tips some more.  Ive shot a couple hundred arrows through it since the classic and I really like it. With the tweaks since the classic, it has a little more zing to it now.  I am excited to give it away, but I hate to see it go.
Michael

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #3507 on: July 20, 2016, 08:35:09 am »
Fingers crossed - maybe a package from Loope!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 09:48:07 am by mwosborn »
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #3508 on: July 20, 2016, 09:18:39 am »
I shipped out this morning. So someone should keep there eyes out for a big green pvc pipe.

Kyle

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3509 on: July 20, 2016, 12:54:19 pm »
Now that I have a spare moment, I'm going to spell out how I'm going to go about this trilam.  If anything sounds out of place, please let me know!

So, I'm aiming for a bow that's in the mid 50 pound range at a 29" draw.  I'm planning on making the bow 68" long as measured along the belly (it'll shorten a wee bit "as the crow flies" once the reflex and deflex is put in).  The top limb will be an inch longer than the bottom limb and I plan on making a 13" handle section.

My osage is currently 9/32" thick.  After some sanding, the goal is 1/4".  The walnut core will taper from 3/16" at the fades to 1/16" at the tip.  The bamboo will taper from 1/8" from the fades to 1/16" at the tip.  My only question is how wide to make it in order to make my weight.  The standard seems to be 1 1/4" at the fades, keep it straight for 6 inches, then taper to 1/2" at the tips.  For the time being, I'm going to leave the fades a little wider (starting at no wider than 1 1/2" with a minimum of 1 3/8").  I haven't tapered the walnut yet, so if the numbers don't look quite right for what I'm aiming for, I still have the ability to taper the walnut either more or less (I would like to have the fades at the 1 1/4" mark).

I was just looking at the R/D trilam buildalongs on tradgang.  Are you planning to heat-bend the reflexed tips prior to glue up?  Osage bends really easy with dry heat, and I bet that will help the tips keep their reflex.

You betcha!  From what I've read and seen on TG, it looks like the last 6-7 inches of the osage has about 2 inches of reflex added in.  I'll be accomplishing that tonight.