Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 693642 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #3510 on: July 20, 2016, 02:00:51 pm »
I've never built a triple laminated bow so am not sure what to expect. Can I ask what the purpose of a 13" handle section is? I don't believe I've ever seen one and to be honest it sounds awful long and awkward to me.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3511 on: July 20, 2016, 02:31:42 pm »
Fred that length handle/riser section is very common, depending on how he glues it up. It will be baby butt smooth in the hand. Long risers always are, when cooked right.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3512 on: July 20, 2016, 02:38:31 pm »
I'm not going to post any pictures from other sites since I don't have permission from the authors of those posts, but if you do some searching, you can find full draw pictures of the style of bow I'm going to make.  They have longer handle sections that don't look out of place on the bow.

"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3513 on: July 20, 2016, 03:00:19 pm »
Pearl Drums, here's the form I'm using. The center post is 3 3/4" tall, the two mid-limb posts are 2 3/4", and the two outer posts are 6". I plan on resting the spot where the center of the handle will be on the center of the middle post and having the two short posts at middle of the limbs.  I will then shape the handle piece to match the bend where the handle will go after it's all glued together.

"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3514 on: July 20, 2016, 03:18:21 pm »
Looks just like my ol' buddy Roy's set up. He uses a 13 or 14" riser as well. It all blends together and makes for nice fades. If you have made a few lam bows you know how important it is to start with a loooong riser and not a short riser. You start too short and before you know it the fades are too short and the core bends abruptly into the handle. I had to rebuild an ipe/hickory bow because I started too short, around 10".
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #3515 on: July 20, 2016, 03:45:45 pm »
Thanks for the info. I'm going to watch this one closely. Might have to try something similar. I'm about to attempt my first BBO and then I'll give the trilams a go.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3516 on: July 20, 2016, 03:56:17 pm »
Looks just like my ol' buddy Roy's set up. He uses a 13 or 14" riser as well. It all blends together and makes for nice fades. If you have made a few lam bows you know how important it is to start with a loooong riser and not a short riser. You start too short and before you know it the fades are too short and the core bends abruptly into the handle. I had to rebuild an ipe/hickory bow because I started too short, around 10".

Thanks for the tip on the riser! I'll be cutting out a piece of figured maple from a board I have, so I'll be sure to make it a wee bit longer. As far as where I got the inspiration for this bow, let's just say the only thing that's missing is a can of Coors Light.  ;D

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #3517 on: July 20, 2016, 04:07:53 pm »
 ;D Budweiser should work.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3518 on: July 20, 2016, 08:27:40 pm »
Well, I have the bamboo tapered.  Here's the before and after:

I started to flip the tips of the osage, but I didn't have enough clamps at work to git-r-done (I'll get them flipped tomorrow morning).  And unless I hear otherwise, I will go ahead with my plan to taper the walnut as I stated earlier.

Offline jandersson

« Reply #3519 on: July 21, 2016, 12:32:42 am »
Good evening!
Here's my to far gone update.
Plan A walnut bow: Had to cut it down and make it a bendy handle. The sideways curve on one limb was to much, couldn't get the string to line up through the handle. I tried to steam it out but ended up getting a stress fracture so cut down it was. Now 'm fighting the wonky left limb in tillering. What do you guys think? I wanted to get a good profile on it before pulling any further.
Also started a plan B in case the shit hits the fan with the walnut. It's a R/D trilam, maple/cherry/maple. Core tapered with my scraper, the table saw jig did not work at all. I got a riser to glue on here in a day or two, just gotta get a better fit.

Offline jandersson

« Reply #3520 on: July 21, 2016, 12:40:29 am »
ty_in_ND:
Where're you gonna put your riser, smack in the center? That's where I'm leaning to but then I was thinking I might have to cut the lower limb an inch or so. Would be interesting to hear our thoughts and what you're gonna do.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3521 on: July 21, 2016, 05:30:26 am »
Lookin good ty...enjoying all the pictures and following along.

Glad to see your still at it Janderson.

Offline Loope

« Reply #3522 on: July 21, 2016, 11:29:26 am »
Tracking number says the bow was delivered 9:31, left on front porch. Someone has a Loope bow.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #3523 on: July 21, 2016, 01:27:47 pm »
Struck out again - porch empty.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3524 on: July 21, 2016, 01:38:42 pm »
Well, here are some more pics!

Here's how I went about adding the taper to the core lam.  First, I made marks to divide the working part of the core into 4 sections.

I extend those lines to the sides.  Then I mark the thickness I want at those lines.  Since I'm going from 3/16" to 1/16", I make a marks at 5/32, 1/8, 3/32, and 1/16.

I then get close to those lines using the spindle sander, trying to make an even roughed out taper between the lines.  After I get close, I finish the rest of the taper by clamping the lam to a table and trimming it with a hand plane.

Here's the end result:

And here's what the flipped osage looks like:

I'm getting close to glue-up time.  I'll probably do it Friday after work.  Jandersson, I laid the bow out so the handle/riser section is offset from the center of the bow (the middle of the handle section is 1/2" from the middle of the 68" length).  I'm not sure about moving the handle section around if you didn't plan on it being offset.