Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 693599 times)

Offline DuBois

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #3630 on: July 24, 2016, 10:07:31 am »
Yeah!!
Right on Steve!
I'm really glad it got there in one piece and that you like it.

Dang Gut!!
That is one fine bow.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3631 on: July 24, 2016, 10:10:57 am »
Nice bow ya got there B!  That handle is something else...way cool!

Offline Loope

« Reply #3632 on: July 24, 2016, 10:16:26 am »
Wow! I am simply amazed at how awesome these bows are looking.  I am so glad to be part of this trade.  It has exposed me to so many different styles of bows and artwork, and tillering/building advice, that just being part of the trade will improve my work.  Thanks guys!

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3633 on: July 24, 2016, 11:00:29 am »
Well, I'll post pics of the glue up later today, but I glued the bow up this morning.

Also, congrats on the sweet bow Plan B!
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #3634 on: July 24, 2016, 12:09:20 pm »
Marco that's a sweet bow you built for PlanB. Congrats to both of you

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3635 on: July 24, 2016, 01:38:29 pm »
Hi Guys, taken the family away for a few days but sneaked the holly D-bow in when wifey wasn't looking - finished floor tillering but cannot get the thing to string due to the 2.5" reflex - gonna make a stringer when I get home Wednesday.  The reflex is really messing me up - keep seeing twists where there aren't any.  Pretty sure the string alignment is 10mm off-centre but in the correct direction for a RH shooter, also think there is a little heli - twist along the length so have ordered up some horn nocks as if I try to straighten out the twist I might mess  up the deflex, which is evenly spread across the whole length. Will fix the string alignment when I heat treat the bow at the end   Thought I'd put in a little teaser about the grip decoration......  Also side and top views

[/img]

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3636 on: July 24, 2016, 02:33:08 pm »
Here are the pics!

I prepped the gluing surfaces by scraping them with a fine toothed saw blade.  I placed the lams on a piece of plastic wrap that I wrapped around the lams after gluing them together.  I also put painters tape on the belly side of the osage and the back side of the bamboo.  I tried this on another backed bow I glued together and liked the result, as the dried glue comes off with the tape (and lowers the chance of me taking off too much when sanding/rasping off of the wood!).

And here's how the bow looks on the form.

I used clamps to hold one limb together while I wrapped the other limb with a bike tube.  I also clamped down the flipped section.  When I got to that clamp, I would move it up an inch and keep wrapping tightly.  Also, I love Smooth On!  I had a moment after clamping down the bow of "Did I line everything up right?" and did some intense remeasuring and some slight shifting.  This was about 30 minutes after I mixed the epoxy together.  The Smooth On was still quite flexible at this point, so if I did have to make adjustments to how I placed the bow on the form (which I didn't!!), I could have without problems.  As a random note, if you do use Smooth On for a trilam, I used about 120 grams (60 of each part) and I didn't have much leftover.  I haven't really seen much out there for how much adhesive people are using for these glue-ups, so there it is!
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #3637 on: July 24, 2016, 03:55:20 pm »
Ty, that is looking really good.  I am curious about how much of that R/D profile will be held after it comes off the form.  Guess we will see in a day or two.

Stuck-that bow is looking super hot.  the tease on the handle is really mean.  will you carve it, or paint on the decorations?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3638 on: July 24, 2016, 04:53:04 pm »
Bit of carving, bit of colour - there's blue in the holly, so maybe a bit of gilding over blue acrylic?  Am colour blind so welcome all comments concerning colour-tinted custom checkering. 

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #3639 on: July 24, 2016, 05:02:36 pm »
That is one nice looking bow PB - nice work Dubois.  Have to say, I am a little jealous! >:D

Drewster - that is Gut's bow.  :laugh:  I am still waiting.

SIM - looks like a good start on that one.  I've never worked holly.

TY - glue up looks good - now you have to wait for it to dry!

Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Otter

« Reply #3640 on: July 24, 2016, 05:45:33 pm »

Offline Otter

« Reply #3641 on: July 24, 2016, 05:49:00 pm »

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3642 on: July 24, 2016, 06:08:40 pm »
This skins look killer Otter and i didnt notice that little wiggle before.  Gives her a nice bit of character.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3643 on: July 24, 2016, 07:17:57 pm »
Stuck-that looks like it could be a real cool bow.

Very nice Otter!

Offline Otter

« Reply #3644 on: July 24, 2016, 07:58:55 pm »
Thanks Ajooter,and DuBois... Just need to sand on it a little and start putting my finishing!