Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 694123 times)

Offline ty_in_ND

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #3810 on: August 02, 2016, 06:24:17 pm »
Managed to do a little tillering today.  I think she's ready for a shorter string, but I know I'm going to have to reduce the weight on the bow.  It's pulling 45# @ 16".  Right now the fades are at 1 3/8", straight for 6", then taper to 1/2" at the tips.  Would taking the fades to 1 1/4" leave me enough wood for my goal (55# @ 29)?  That's the dimension I was initially planning on, but I wanted to make sure I had enough wood to make my weight goal (and I really don't want to have a really thin osage belly!). 

So, I want to wait on hooking a shorter string on the bow until I decide to thin the profile (besides... stringing the bow right now is a PITA... it's gotta be around 70ish# @ 28...).
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3811 on: August 02, 2016, 06:27:50 pm »
I got it!  I did have to leave work a little early today :)

Sidmand's osage turned up on my porch... apparently yesterday and I didn't know it :(  My wife had checked the mail yesterday while driving in, mail was in the box but she didn't see the tube on the porch... and I didn't see it either as I got in late.  She let me know today that she found it on the porch, and it seemed earlier than normal for the mail to have run... it could have been there yesterday... and then later the mail came.

Anyway, the bow is great!  I will post some pics, but to refresh your minds, this is the one with the yellow & red diamond pattern on the back.  I went out and shot for as long as I could tolerate the mosquitoes, and this bow shoots great.  The draw is really smooth, no hand shock at all, and it flings an arrow pretty quick.  I am really enjoying shooting this guy.

I think it is pretty neat that I built for Sidmand and he built for me!  If I remember correctly, Sidmand said this was his first trade bow, first self bow, first osage, and first sinew backed.  I am still an amateur, but from my eyes, it is hard to believe that this is a first... Great job Sidmand! 

Loope

I can't wait to see more pics of that bow Loope!  The teaser pics Sidmand posted were great.
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #3812 on: August 02, 2016, 06:38:40 pm »
Thank goodness!  Tracking said it got there yesterday and I was freaking out thinking it went to the wrong place.  Yes, lots of firsts on that bow, and I'm glad you like it.  I hope you have less humidity there and the bow will pick up some more weight, it was right at your lower number when I sent it.  I was praying that it worked out, I can't draw it to 30 inches cause I am vertically challenged, but I drew it out on the tree for as much exercise as I could give it.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #3813 on: August 02, 2016, 07:01:59 pm »
Ty, when I tiller, I track the unbraced profile, and if a spot takes any set, I try to stay away from it.  To me it looks like the right fade is bending more than the rest of that bow, but it is hard to tell for me with that profile.  Try with a string that is just long enough to reach both nocks. For width, you have to balance how much Osage you have left with any set it is taking. Others will be able to give better advice, but I would bet you could safely narrow that bow some, but I would do it slowly, just like belly tillering

BTW I am writing from the beach in Oregon.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 07:07:07 pm by jeffp51 »

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3814 on: August 02, 2016, 07:42:48 pm »
Congrats Loope...thats one heck of a bow!

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3815 on: August 02, 2016, 09:25:29 pm »
Jeff, I see what you're saying about the right fade.  I really haven't done much to that limb, as I thought it was bending fine. The left limb was also considerably stiffer, so that's where my attention has been focused.  I will start scraping the outer 2/3rds of the right limb to make it bend more to take some stress off of that fade.  And I'll do this before I narrow anything, as I'm sure I'll need to take wood off of the left limb to even it out. I'll try to post an unbraced pic of the bow as well.

And I'm totally not jealous that you're on the beach now...

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3816 on: August 02, 2016, 09:35:48 pm »
OK, 1st pic is unbraced before tillering, 2nd pic is how it looks as of 3 minutes ago:

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3817 on: August 02, 2016, 10:14:13 pm »
Lookin good ty.

Got the wraps back on...lettering tomorrow night hopefully!

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #3818 on: August 02, 2016, 10:25:33 pm »
I think I'm ready to ship ;D
I prettied her up a little but not much I hope my victim likes it :)
I'm also I little overweight at 52# but I'd rather not mess with it anymore  :P

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #3819 on: August 02, 2016, 10:46:02 pm »
Ty- I think your trilam is looking good.  If the right fade is bending more, it is not by much - hard to tell sometimes by pictures.  The mid limbs are bending now and straightening out the limbs at your current draw so be careful not to over work those areas.  It looks to me like the tips are moving 8" or so, I would try to get to a low brace and see what it looks like.  At least to a string that just fits as already suggested.  I am liking it.  Oh, and when you do start working in the fade area be careful at the transition from riser to limb, it is easy to develop a weak spot in the limb just past that fade.  I usually scrape from limb into fade rather than fade into limb when I work those areas.

Congrats Loope - that is a nice bow.  Well done Sid.

ajooter and dylan - either one of you could send me one of those bows and I would be happy!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #3820 on: August 02, 2016, 10:53:32 pm »
Great looking bows guy's!

Dylan,  are you drawing that bow with the string between your middle fingers?

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3821 on: August 02, 2016, 11:25:59 pm »
Ty- I think your trilam is looking good.  If the right fade is bending more, it is not by much - hard to tell sometimes by pictures.  The mid limbs are bending now and straightening out the limbs at your current draw so be careful not to over work those areas.  It looks to me like the tips are moving 8" or so, I would try to get to a low brace and see what it looks like.  At least to a string that just fits as already suggested.  I am liking it.  Oh, and when you do start working in the fade area be careful at the transition from riser to limb, it is easy to develop a weak spot in the limb just past that fade.  I usually scrape from limb into fade rather than fade into limb when I work those areas.

Well, I'll wait until tomorrow afternoon before doing anything else to the bow in the hopes more people chime in.  I was thinking about this as I was trying to get to sleep, but I think you're right that the right fade isn't hinging or anything like that.  I think, if anything, the midlimb on the right limb is a hair stiff compared to how the left limb is bending (the right limb is forming more of a straight line while the left limb has a gentle curve).  I know some of the more intense r/d bows will look like a triangle at full draw, but I think this design is supposed to have more of a "D" shape, so straight limbs are not my goal.

Unless I hear otherwise, I think I will 1) gently scrape the midlimb on the right limb in order to get more of a curve going (which will also relieve some of the pressure on the fade), 2) give the left limb some scrapes in general if I need to reduce the strength of that limb to match the right limb while maintaining its current shape, 3) get it to a short brace, 4) see how she bends at short brace.  If it would be better to get it to short brace 1st then do everything else, I wouldn't be opposed.  I know you want to get to brace height well before getting to your draw length, but at this point, I'm really liking the unstrung profile of the bow and I want to do everything in my power to keep it from taking on more set (I see it's taken a wee bit of set... nothing to cry over, yet).  I know with a slightly longer draw length it will be a challenge, but I think it's worth trying to preserve!

And thanks for the tip about scraping near the fades!  I know that it's easier to address slightly stiff fades towards the end of the tillering process and that hingey fades on a r/d bow is especially bad.  When I scrape in general, I start at the part of the bow that's closer to the tip and scrape towards the handle, but I'll bear in mind to be especially careful to do that when it comes to dressing the areas next to the fades.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3822 on: August 03, 2016, 12:02:54 am »
One last pic!

This is the bow with the string tight against the belly and handle (I tried my best to get the thing to sit level on the tillering tree... didn't do so well in that department!):

Ajooter, the back side of your handle section is looking wicked!

Dylan, there's nothing wrong with a nicely bending stick.  Even if it's just the osage, horn tips, and leather grip, it's still a good looker!  And as far as it being a little over weight, there's nothing wrong with a few extra pounds!!

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3823 on: August 03, 2016, 12:05:34 am »
Fantastic looking bows getting finished up. Looks like some tubes will be in the mail shortly.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #3824 on: August 03, 2016, 04:06:19 am »
Dang Dylan that is sharp. Go ahead and send her my way. I don't mind a few extra pounds. Lol!

Ty that trilam is looking nice! 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 06:13:42 am by TimothyR »
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%