Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 691068 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #3825 on: August 03, 2016, 06:06:45 am »
Ty I would get it to low brace, get the string just off the handle. That way the tips are getting pulled inward and downward, you will get a better reading.  Looks good so far.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3826 on: August 03, 2016, 08:27:49 am »
Sounds good, Pearl!

So... I feel a little sheepish asking this, but I'll ask away, as it annoyed the heck out of me.  I actually tried to get it to a shorter brace yesterday, but my timber hitch kept slipping.  >:(  I tried waxing the snot out of the string, but that didn't help.  I really haven't had this problem before, but this is the heaviest bow I've tried to make and I'm thinking the r/d design isn't doing me favors in this department.

Any suggestions?
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3827 on: August 03, 2016, 08:40:20 am »
Run the end of your hitch through the loop at least three times....maybe four.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #3828 on: August 03, 2016, 08:49:33 am »
Yep timber hitch can be a pain when tillering.  That and B50 stretches like crazy.  Over the last few years, I have just made a bunch of D97 flemish twist strings of various lengths that I can use when I am tillering.  Most of my bows are 62-66" so it really isn't that many strings.  Don't have to fight tying knots anymore.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #3829 on: August 03, 2016, 09:35:48 am »
Run the end of your hitch through the loop at least three times....maybe four.

+1 on the multiple looping idea.  I have even resorted to using a "set knot" at the end of my string that I tie in to keep the timber hitch from slipping out as easily.

OneBow

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3830 on: August 03, 2016, 09:58:01 am »
Sounds good, Pearl!

So... I feel a little sheepish asking this, but I'll ask away, as it annoyed the heck out of me.  I actually tried to get it to a shorter brace yesterday, but my timber hitch kept slipping.  >:(  I tried waxing the snot out of the string, but that didn't help.  I really haven't had this problem before, but this is the heaviest bow I've tried to make and I'm thinking the r/d design isn't doing me favors in this department.

Any suggestions?

I used a tillering string two or three times and ditched it years ago. I just keep 4 or 5 strings on a nail. One will fit any bow at any stage I'm at. I don't have time or the patience to piss around in my shop. I want to do things once and move along.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #3831 on: August 03, 2016, 11:03:21 am »
Yea I also like to have a string that will give it a very low brace right off of a floor tiller . Then as I tiller I twist the string up as I go.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #3832 on: August 03, 2016, 12:11:13 pm »
Sounds good, Pearl!

Any suggestions?

I used a tillering string two or three times and ditched it years ago. I just keep 4 or 5 strings on a nail. One will fit any bow at any stage I'm at. I don't have time or the patience to piss around in my shop. I want to do things once and move along.

I just added another time through the knot and solved my Timber hitch issue. Over, over, under, under, under.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3833 on: August 03, 2016, 12:48:35 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions!  The string I'm using is from 3rivers that I thought was a FF string, so it's not stretching as so much as it's the timber hitch not holding.  I'll try to add extra loops to the knot, but I could use the extra practice in making strings, so I wouldn't be opposed to making a Flemish twist D97 string that will get me to a 3" brace on this bow.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 12:52:23 pm by ty_in_ND »
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3834 on: August 03, 2016, 05:53:31 pm »
Well... it was starting to be an awesome day... I got off of work early, I got the mail and there in the box are my paycheck for playing in Oklahoma along with my ND rifle and ML tags, and I'm super excited to get the bow on a shorter string.  I decided to try the adding extra loops in the timber hitch before going the making a new string route...  as I got the string to the length I wanted, I pulled on the stringer, got the string into the groove, and gently let the tension off of of the stringer... Then I heard a crack and the string got tight on the handle.  I was thinking it the knot just made an extra noise as it cinched up too much...

Next time, I'm definitely making a shorter string.  I think what happened was as the hitch cinched, it was thicker since I added the extra loops.  The thicker looped section was too big for the grove I filed, so it essentially split the tip.

So... is this salvageable?  I don't know if I want to continue on this one for the trade...

Offline Drewster

« Reply #3835 on: August 03, 2016, 05:59:01 pm »
BUMMER Ty........sorry to see that.   
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3836 on: August 03, 2016, 06:23:06 pm »
Ty, that's a shame. I find fault with the tip overlay design. I also believe it can be saved.

That tip overlay should have been attached over all three lams instead of cut through.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3837 on: August 03, 2016, 06:44:49 pm »
what was rhe overlay made of?

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3838 on: August 03, 2016, 06:50:30 pm »
Looking closely, your tip overlay where the string groove was cut, was only supported by the belly lam.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3839 on: August 03, 2016, 07:16:57 pm »
Yeah, I saw that too, Fred. My other tip did cut into the core and I was debating about redoing the tip that broke. Now I have to redo it!

But, no sense in crying over spilt milk! I can try to fill it with epoxy and clamp the beck out of it. The tips were stiff because of the flipping I did anyway, so maybe that will do the trick.  If the thing still breaks, I have something else up my sleeve.  >:D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 07:41:32 pm by ty_in_ND »