Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 693585 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #3855 on: August 05, 2016, 09:50:08 am »
Also believe it's too narrow. The further you draw it the more set it is going to take.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3856 on: August 05, 2016, 10:06:53 am »
Just a quick update:

The epoxy looks like it's going to work!  I gently floor tillered that limb (being mindful that there's no tip overlay) and it seems to be holding up.  So, my plan is to knock off the other overlay, dock the tips by 1/2", and throw these puppies on the tips:

Then I need to quick whip up a string and continue on my merry way.
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3857 on: August 05, 2016, 10:09:39 am »
Tim, if my tone seemed a bit rough it was not intended.  Yes the bend looks good and you did some good work in some ways.  Any mistake you made believe me, I have made.  Some of this bow building is just a matter of finding out what won't work, and not doing it on the next one.  Keep at it.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #3858 on: August 05, 2016, 05:42:51 pm »
Thatel du, ty!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #3859 on: August 05, 2016, 06:48:14 pm »
i got my bow shipped out today, so whoever hasn't got one yet keep a eye out ;)

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #3860 on: August 05, 2016, 07:43:53 pm »
Oh good, another nice bow shipped!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3861 on: August 05, 2016, 07:54:04 pm »
I can't wait till it shows up!!!  >:D >:D
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #3862 on: August 05, 2016, 08:46:26 pm »
Tim, if my tone seemed a bit rough it was not intended.  Yes the bend looks good and you did some good work in some ways.  Any mistake you made believe me, I have made.  Some of this bow building is just a matter of finding out what won't work, and not doing it on the next one.  Keep at it.

No offense taken Slimbob. I'm going to keep at it though till it breaks or it shoots. Luckily I have my trade bow finished and will be shipping soon. I will defeat my nemesis!
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3863 on: August 07, 2016, 12:27:50 am »

Now lady should leave the house without a little further on her...slapped a floppy rest on her and shot her a little.  I'll put some more finish on her tomorrow and rip a couple more arrows oit of her.  I've been shooting her lefty and I'm not doing too bad out to ten yards.

Should be in the mail early next week. 8)

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3864 on: August 07, 2016, 02:57:47 am »

I like these pics better...it's been pretty humid while I finished this bow out.  I hope it doesn't pick up too much weight.

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #3865 on: August 07, 2016, 09:20:05 am »
Nice looking bow ajooter. Your entertainment stand is the same one I have.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #3866 on: August 07, 2016, 09:29:03 am »
Ajooter nice to finally see it is a lefty bow. I thought all along you where building a LH bow. Your Victim will love it and if he doesn't then they can ship it to me. Like that string too.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3867 on: August 07, 2016, 09:53:13 am »
Yeah I had some help on the string from a fellow bow trader!  ;)....I will probably disclose his identity when I post the bow.

The silencers are beaver balls.  I couldn't get out to my buddies places to get some fresh muskrat so beaver will have to work.  They sure seem to do the trick...the bow was quiet to begin with now she's really quiet!

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #3868 on: August 07, 2016, 09:54:41 am »
Darn a lefty!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3869 on: August 07, 2016, 10:20:10 am »
That bow's looking great, Ajooter!

So, I've made more progress on the bow.  Here's a pic of the new tips.  This tip is the one that malfunctioned:

Here's how it looks with a tight long string (this is actually a new string that I thought I made short enough, but as it was new, it stretched a wee bit):

After pulling the bow down to 12" and seeing it was bending right after being shortened (and to see if the tip would hold... so far so good!!), I went ahead and got it to a low brace!  And after a few twists, here she is at about a 4" brace.

I didn't pull on her, as the limbs aren't even.  I wanted to take a look at how the string was looking down the belly...

As you can see, not dead even.  I'm pretty sure this is the problem:

Even though the profile of the back is looking great, the profile of the belly isn't so even.  The right side of this limb doesn't taper like the left.  So, I think I'll know the wood on the belly to make it even, then string the bow back up (maybe take a few twists out to have a little lower brace), and see what the profile looks like before starting to bend the bow again.
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."