Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 691020 times)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #3960 on: August 12, 2016, 10:42:39 am »
Cool carving stuck. You have a pic of the bow at full draw? Maybe I missed it, but in that draw pic it looks like mid limb out could bend more.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3961 on: August 12, 2016, 02:09:50 pm »
Which bow Dave? Nocks shaped and glued to D-bow, drying overnight - used cascamite thickened with charcoal to colour-match the horn.   Stringer finally arrived so will be able to brace the bows and post some proper photos soon :-)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 03:35:19 pm by stuckinthemud »

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3962 on: August 12, 2016, 05:21:34 pm »
Evening All.

Here's my stand-in bow, on the upper limit for my guys draw-weight, hollow-limb hazel primitive.   Hows it looking?  Not sure if the right hand fade is working a bit hard and maybe the limbs are too stiff in the outer 1/3?? ???Can't get to full draw until I build a tree and pulley

3/4 draw

brace

string follow after un-stringing

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3963 on: August 12, 2016, 05:32:42 pm »
Couple of observations and questions...was the stave straight before you started bending it, or has it taken this set?  It appears to me to be all in or near the handle.  Make sure it's not bending in the fades as it appears to me that it is. If not carry on.  If so you may have an issue.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3964 on: August 12, 2016, 05:54:08 pm »
Not fully straight but straighter than this.  By tomorrow it'll be back to being nearly straight - the picture was taken immediately after un-stringing but it did have a few degrees of prop. twist.  To me it also looks like the fades are working but the hollow limb makes things look worse than they are.  Having said all that, I can lose 10# and still be good for weight so reducing the outer thirds might be  a good idea.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3965 on: August 12, 2016, 06:24:25 pm »
If it is taking that kind of set near the handle and your not at full draw yet, you have an issue in my opinion.  If it's bending in the fades and taking set there, you have a design issue.  The recovery you have from the set is nice to see but almost irrelevant from a practical stand point.  Not here to rain on your parade, that's just what I see.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3966 on: August 12, 2016, 08:17:30 pm »
I'd say you for sure need to get those mid and outer limbs working more. But like slim bob said there may be an issue. How old is that stave, has it been drying for a short time? Don't give up on it yet though.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3967 on: August 12, 2016, 08:18:55 pm »
Forgot to mention, my bow is all boxed up along with a few arrows to go with. It's going to the post office in the morning for sure!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3968 on: August 13, 2016, 07:57:17 am »
Well, it's been a super crazy work week, but now I have a 3 day weekend!  So here's how the bow stands now:  I know some people have said it's a little tough to judge how a r/d bow is bending by still pictures, so here's a quick little video of how she's bending (you'll have to forgive the wobbles of the video... no tripod = fun times!).  Also, the bow is being drawn to 14" and it's at 35 lbs.

https://youtu.be/7R7M0kSBpIA

Here are some pics as well.  Namely, how she looks at the short brace and when unstrung after bracing.

I really hope to get this thing bending to full draw soon, but I want to wait for input.
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3969 on: August 13, 2016, 09:00:46 am »
David, man I am impressed with your persistence and it has paid off. That is looking very nice! good job mister.

Stuck-I agree that it looks to bend too much in the fades. How flat was it before you started tillering?

Ty-Not much to say. I think you are on top of things buddy. Get that beauty bending is what I say.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3970 on: August 13, 2016, 10:26:17 am »
The bow was already curved before I started, the actual set is about an inch.  I have softened up the outer thirds and the bend is really sweet, careful examination showed that the fades are actually not moving, the hollow limb flaring out from the fade is creating a bit of an optical illusion when combined with the camo back hiding the true outer curve.  Wil post a photo when I get some time

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3971 on: August 13, 2016, 11:10:12 am »
Glad to hear that.  That is why I asked about it's original profile.  Often only the maker knows how much set a bow has taken.  An inch ain't bad, just watch it closely as you go forward.   

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #3972 on: August 13, 2016, 02:48:19 pm »
Ty,

I have watched your video multiple times looking for a spot that was bending more than the others, and it looks even to me.  if anything, the mid limbs might still be stiff, but not much. Keep at it, scrape, bend, look, then bend some more.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3973 on: August 13, 2016, 03:09:29 pm »
Jeff and DuBois,

Thanks for the input! I'll get to bending the bow later today. I'm helping some buddies hang tree stands right now. But, when it comes to scraping to reduce weight, I'll take a couple extra scrapes on the mid limbs.

I'll probably post again when I get to the point when I think the bow will be ready for its final string (unless any unforseen troubles happen...).
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #3974 on: August 13, 2016, 06:52:10 pm »
Ty - Looks like it is bending pretty good.  Agree with Jeff that the mid will need to bend more, but go slowly.  Roy Painter (Roy from Pa) has several videos of trilams being drawn on the tree as he is tillering them if you want to watch some to compare.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch