Author Topic: Another Invitational 2016 Bow Trade...  (Read 125589 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: Another Invitational 2016 Bow Trade...
« Reply #600 on: June 28, 2016, 01:56:38 pm »
I started to shoot ine in today. I started at 25" after taking a quick look in the mirror and touching up the limbs a little. It shot great at 25" and shot it about a dozen times there. Took at to 26" and the same, shot good and hard. Then the first time pulling to 27" we got a pop. After looking it over it looked like a a crock opened up in the back running with the grain in te center of te top limb. And a little angle pulled out of one of the flipped tips. So I filled the crack with super glue before unbracing it. Then tomorrow I'll clean up the glue on the crack, which I figure will hold it fine. Then I'll try to put the bend back into the flipped tip and add a layer of cherry on the belly to stiffen it up so it'll hold better. But before that it shot very well.

Kyle

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #601 on: June 28, 2016, 03:52:02 pm »
Think it's possibly to heat this bend up enough to rebend it a little more without the overlay glue getting too hot and popping off? Only this one had about 10-15* pull out while shooting in. I want to bring it back to match the other. There was enugh curve that the string was just off the belly at brace.

Kyle

Offline DC

« Reply #602 on: June 28, 2016, 03:59:32 pm »
Even if it does pop off it would be the glue line that failed and it would just be a matter of gluing it back on, wouldn't it?

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #603 on: June 28, 2016, 04:05:49 pm »
I was just thinking along those line right after asking the question. I got to thinking that I would probably be easier in the end to just hear up the glue line and pop the overlay off. Do my bending then clean up the glue line and stick it back on. It's glued with TB3, so it should give before doing any harm to the wood or horn.

Kyle

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #604 on: June 28, 2016, 04:53:22 pm »
Its so close man, a few scrapes or maybe some firm sanding and you are in there.

Thanks bud. I knew it was pretty close. But i still question myself sometimes, plus i have tillered out several bows in a very short period. I haven't made a longbow in quite some time. Most of mine have funky curves and character. Plus i don't have the time to make another one so i figured i need to get this one right this time around. The whole process of this bow has seamed to work out really well so far. 

Pat you can see the flat spot on the top limb in the braced pics. Middle of limb. You are VERY close.

Thanks John! you got a tiller eye for sure.

So you all don't think that the bottom fade needs to bend just a scoach more? 

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #605 on: June 28, 2016, 05:02:01 pm »
I was just thinking along those line right after asking the question. I got to thinking that I would probably be easier in the end to just hear up the glue line and pop the overlay off. Do my bending then clean up the glue line and stick it back on. It's glued with TB3, so it should give before doing any harm to the wood or horn.

Kyle

I would do just that Kyle. TB3 will let go before scorching the wood. Then a little lite sanding and glue it back on. Just check to make sure that both the bow and the overlay are still flat. I have popped off many overlays like that. But i use CA glue on mine, never done the TB3. But i have on handle blocks and heat will pop them right off.

Patrick 

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #606 on: June 28, 2016, 05:25:02 pm »
Tite Bond III takes a little more heat then regular TB. If you are worried just soak the tip in water till the glue is soft.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JonW

« Reply #607 on: June 29, 2016, 01:13:25 pm »
Pat when you get the top limb lined out shoot it a bunch. I personally think the bottom limb will come around with some shooting.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #608 on: June 29, 2016, 01:46:11 pm »
TB glues will release at 150deg(F). You can wrap a damp rag around the tip then heat the curve and re-bend it...or like someone else said remove the overlay first. Heat will remove that cleanly too. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #609 on: June 29, 2016, 02:19:42 pm »
Pat when you get the top limb lined out shoot it a bunch. I personally think the bottom limb will come around with some shooting.

Thanks bud,  I'll do just that! We will find out tomorrow night of Friday morning how it's doing.

Patrick

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #610 on: June 29, 2016, 03:09:58 pm »
I'll help ya shoot it!!
Oh, I forgot, can't draw a stick of that poundage that far.   >:(
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #611 on: June 29, 2016, 03:55:51 pm »
Patrick, heat it well and let it cool at least overnight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #612 on: June 29, 2016, 05:27:09 pm »
I think I  will Pat!

Mike,  it's smooth as a babies butt. I'm sure you can shoot it!

Patrick

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #613 on: June 29, 2016, 06:57:07 pm »
Got the nock grooves filed in today and shot about 50 down range . Sweet shooter and fast. I may keep this one and hurry up and make another one.LOL. I know I would hunt with it. But I believe my guy is getting my best bow to date.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #614 on: June 29, 2016, 10:20:16 pm »
That, then, would be a BIG good on you, Bob!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857