Author Topic: Veneer strips for backing?  (Read 5187 times)

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
Veneer strips for backing?
« on: February 19, 2008, 06:04:19 pm »
I ran across some 2" wide strips of wood veneer in the local woodcraft store, and I got to wondering.  It comes in rolls much longer than a bow.  They had maple and red oak, and some other less promising woods.

Do you 'spose this would make a decent backing material for, say, an ERC bow?  Or is it too thin and brittle to add any strength?  It's probably got plenty of grain violations, too, I guess.  Maybe just for looks over the top of silk or something.  Hmmm.

Anybody every try it?

Offline tom sawyer

Re: Veneer strips for backing?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 06:21:32 pm »
It might actually work.  They peel veneer off a log by turning the log while cutting a thin slice, so I think it stands a decent chance of having continuous fibers running the length.  I can't think of how you could check it though, I suppose if you don't see violations on the wide sides you ought to be good.  Being thin it wouldn't hold any induced reflex, but as a protective backing it should work.  Let us know how it goes when you try it.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 07:09:28 pm »
i have done it, an they turned out fine, just size the back with tb2 and size the vaneer.

heck just sizing the bow with tb2 realy helps!
the cherry will look FANTASTIC under a clear poly,or even a nice handrubbed tung oil.

i have some 2 inch for trade right now on the site..
jamie

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 11:00:12 am »
Thanks, guys.  Guess it's worth a try.  Now all I have to do is wait for my ERC to season.  Just harvested some promising staves a few weeks ago.

-Tom

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 11:05:07 am »
how thick is the veneer? considering sawed backings are around 1/8" thick you may need to lay several layers of veneer down if you're looking for a protection factor.
VB

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 05:45:23 pm »
it is a thick as 5 sheets of printer paper.
its awesome.

after you size the bow once with the glue, then apply, id be just like birch bark....but stronger.the bieng so thin the glue realy saturates the vaneer.

jamie