Author Topic: Tiller check request  (Read 3205 times)

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
Tiller check request
« on: February 28, 2016, 05:04:45 am »
Hi all
I'm getting there with my latest which is rawhide backed yew 66" in length. I'm not sure of the weight as my scales off but I think its about 40#.
I'm not so happy with the bend but am not sure how to progress. Any thoughts from you guys would as always be massively appreciated.  :)
Its back to 26"
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Tiller check request
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 05:27:36 am »
Right looks a tad stiffer which is ok if it's the lower limb.
Left seems to be bending nicely in the inner 1/3 so leave that and maybe let the rest of the limb work more.
Always tricky with limbs that are asymmetric to start with.
So to summarize I'd maybe ease off inner 1/3 (out from fade) of right limb... centre/outer of left limb?
See what the other guys say...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline sieddy

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 06:00:27 am »
Cheers Del I can see that now. :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline John Scifres

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 07:06:06 am »
I can't really tell what this bow is doing since the limbs look quite different in style.  Did you lose your recurve in the left limb?  I think I'd have to correct that before I went any further. 

Offline sieddy

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 07:25:05 am »
Hi Jojo
Yes the tip straightened out on the left limb though I dent it twice and toasted it!  ???
I do see your point as it looks like two halves of different bows right now!  :o

Offline John Scifres

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 07:41:01 am »
The recurve is pulling out because it is too thin.  You can try to thicken it with a belly underlay but it can get tricky depending on the width and thickness you have now.  I think I would have to try it though. How many bows have you made?

You could also straighten the recurve out on the right.

Or just finish it out.  Tiller doesn't look too bad.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 07:51:13 am »
I vote for the last option John typed. It needs to be shot, it will change a bit.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sieddy

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 11:55:42 am »
Cheers John and Chris I dont think my craftsmanship (or patience) level is up to doing underlays yet. I'll get it shooting and see what it feels like.  :)

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 03:29:34 pm »
But, I support John and Chris inthis, too!  :-(

That tiny bit of reflex you lost on the left side is making the left limb bend more.  The flip would restore it.  And, seriously, there ain't nothing easier than a belly overlay.   In fact, I'm afraid you might need to do something anyway, because if the curve you put in pulled out, it might just keep pulling out into deflex,  too.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 12:45:04 am »
also keep in mind, the bow will shoot fine, if you get the limbs even,, it would look nicer if it matches , but if it is your bow and you don't mind the appearance,, there will be very little if any difference if any in the way it shoots,,

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 08:32:41 am »
If you are at full draw then leave it. If not get the more close to the handle bending. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sieddy

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 04:16:56 pm »
Hi again guys thanks for your input. I've actually got radical with this bow now. I took the handle off and piked it by 6" (3" off each end)
This is because i felt it was too light after the last round of scraping (although the bend looked a lot nicer!)
It now is a lot heavier but obviously needs retillering. I'll hopefully get some pics up at the weekend. Cheers Si  :)

Offline sieddy

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 08:44:14 am »
Heres some pics of it now that I've shortened it. I know I shouldn't have drawn it back so far while the tillers so wonky but there we are. I can see I've still got a bit of wood to remove before it evens out. Any tips on how to get it bending fairly without losing too much weight would be appreciated!  :)

Offline John Scifres

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 12:50:08 pm »
Left limb, handle out to mid limb, 10 scrapes at a time until you get it even with the right.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 03:13:35 pm »
looks like you can make that work,, :)