Author Topic: Crown problems?  (Read 6581 times)

Offline Rob W.

Crown problems?
« on: February 28, 2016, 11:39:20 am »
I don't have any experience building bows out of smaller trees. I'm just wondering if I'm going to have problems with this smaller piece and what should kind of layout I should shoot for? I have plenty of length. Thanks guys!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Crown problems?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 11:55:18 am »
If that is osage you shouldn't have any problems with the crown. Do be sure you have a pristine back and a flat belly.  I've built a few osage "pole" bows, about 2" diameter, that pulled between 40# and 55# and all shot very well. I've even made them with sapwood on the back.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 12:08:38 pm »
Do be sure you have a pristine back and a flat belly. 

I would like to know why you advocate a flat belly here. My advice would actually be to round the belly a bit too, to make sure not all the forces are concentrated on the back. A round-ish belly will shift the neutral place more towards the back, thus taking away some of the forces from the back. That may be safer with this extreme crown. Don't round the belly as much as the back, but just a little bit.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline sapling bowyer

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 12:17:36 pm »
Which wood?
Time is short

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 12:28:04 pm »
DS, I've only used a flat belly on this type of bow but will try a rounded belly next time.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 12:51:10 pm »
I have done both round and flat,, both shot fine,, and have heard advocates in favor of both for one reason of the other,,, I still don't have any idea which one would be better or why,, :)

Offline Rob W.

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 12:54:49 pm »
Yeah it's osage. I would like to build something around 64" but I can go longer if you guys think I should.

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 01:16:51 pm »
If you dont like the high crown just decrown it, simple as that.
If you leave make sure the top of the crown has no irregularities, like minute pins.
Joachim

Offline scp

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 01:35:35 pm »
A round-ish belly will shift the neutral place more towards the back, thus taking away some of the forces from the back.

I would think the neutral plane would shift toward the belly.

Anyhow as someone said, "Compression failure results in set, but bows with set still shoot. Tension failure makes for broken bows." It would be wiser to start with a rounded belly and flatten it if warranted, as we progress.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 02:19:17 pm »
I like to leave sapling bows a few inches longer for safety's sake because tension is concentrated right down the middle of the bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bushboy

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 03:39:21 pm »
Your draw length and weight desired?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

riverrat

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 05:18:22 pm »
I would like to know why you advocate a flat belly here. My advice would actually be to round the belly a bit too, to make sure not all the forces are concentrated on the back. A round-ish belly will shift the neutral place more towards the back, thus taking away some of the forces from the back. That may be safer with this extreme crown. Don't round the belly as much as the back, but just a little bit.
probley because some folks cant tiller is what im thinking. i do it all the time. never had a problem yet.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 05:39:27 pm »
Riverrat, I'm sorry but I don't get it. What does tillering have to do with a round or flat belly design?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2016, 05:42:29 pm »
A round-ish belly will shift the neutral place more towards the back, thus taking away some of the forces from the back.

I would think the neutral plane would shift toward the belly.

Anyhow as someone said, "Compression failure results in set, but bows with set still shoot. Tension failure makes for broken bows." It would be wiser to start with a rounded belly and flatten it if warranted, as we progress.

Indeed, the neutral plane of a crowned or trapped bow moves towards the widest surface. Crowned bows make for safer bellies but weaker backs. Since nearly all woods are stronger in tension than compression (at least above 6% MC), a crowned bow is less prone to set. The only wood I know of that isn't is Erica arborea, a mediterranean shrub.
Moisture control is key to keeping a crowned back in one piece.

Rather than having two crowned surfaces (back and belly), I'd decrown the back a bit and keep a flat belly.

riverrat

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2016, 06:09:39 pm »
it shifts the neutral plain. as well as reduces weight in the lims. if you take it off, its off.