Author Topic: Cedar fade crack  (Read 2267 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Cedar fade crack
« on: March 02, 2016, 09:46:51 pm »
OK here's my dilema.....Was tillering the maple backed cedar bow 1and 15/16" wide at fades,68"NTN out to 27"@52#.The handle at that time was 1 and 1/8" wide and straight.Thought I'd carve my arrow pass and finish my usual bulbous handle to see if it might lose a pound or two.Pulled it out to 27" again and tick.Upon inspection it has a a crack on two fades and looks like to me since it is an edge grain bow the flat grain at one fade looks like it is starting to give too.
I gave it 4.5" reflex glueing the maple backing on.It's holding 2.5" of that at least.Weighing it mass wise it is at 17.65ounces.About 11% under normal which is 20 ounces.That really is close to normal for a perry reflex design.It might be a bit light I quess for holding 2.5" of reflex yet.The reflex seems to mostly coming right out of fades mostly but along rest of limbs yet too.
Anyway thought about putting in thin super glue in cracks of course then wrapping with sinew about 4 layers or so on those fades.Kind of have doubts whether that'll hold her but what do you think?Maybe someone out there has fixed something like this.
Here's the cracks on the fades and the way it was reflexed on the form.
Kind of out of focus pics but it's there.

Personally I'm gonna have a hard time trusting this one because of the way cedar can bust.Quickly and violently....lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Cedar fade crack
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 09:50:19 pm »
Personally I'm gonna have a hard time trusting this bow mainly because it's cedar.That stuff when it goes it does'nt go quietly.A little violently to boot.
BowEd
Ed

Offline John Scifres

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 10:11:26 pm »
Sorry to see that.  I've had them go there when I didn't leave it thick enough so that it didn't bend.  I would also have a hard time trusting that and don't know that any fix I did would change that.  One side looks thicker than the other.  Was that intentional?

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 10:33:41 pm »
when my bow says TICK, I grab a new stick.
I'd probably be tempted to wrap it too, that looks really nice and should be a good combo

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 11:37:35 pm »
Yea I know it.The bow is telling me where it's gonna break if I push it any farther.4 to 5 thickness wraps of sinew would be my only hope.If the glue line goes it's done then too.Too many ifs.I've got more cedar.A sister to it.
Both sides are same thickness and this was a stiff handle design.About an 8" handle with fades.I'm pretty well convinced a bendy handle version 68" long with an 1.25 inch wide handle would fill the bill.
I got it to 27" though at 52 pounds a few times anyway.....lol.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 11:38:30 pm »
Not quite as much induced reflex too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 07:13:47 am »
I love cedar. :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 07:59:53 am »
I don't think I'd want to have my hand wrapped around that if it blows. It would be like holding a Cherry Bomb.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 08:36:51 am »
Yep, love Cedar also. ??? ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 09:53:01 am »
OOOOhhhhh the tempting comments come forward now.....lol.Thanks fellas!!!!!!I love cedar too.I'll get one or two or three.You watch I'm a hard head.No ego loss here.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 10:27:09 am »
Ed, I believe you will get one.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 11:09:08 am »
Sorry to see that Ed its preety bow just a thought could you shave handle fade area down & do a longer glue on handle fade ? Probably not the look your going for just a thought .
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 03:01:08 pm »
Ha ha ha.We all know how adaptable and forgiving cedar is.Ha ha.Now I'm thinking R/D maple backed too.On Dean Torges type form with smooth on.I could get two bows out of what's left then 64" long.Core would have to be 1/2" thick for sure with 1/8 to 3/16 inch maple backing.1and 3/4" wide for sure.All edge grain.Tiller her out from there.Are'nt sure of my front or top view though.Straight line taper or parallel a ways.
Thought about that blending in there and that's a good idea too,but the damage is done.There's a crack.Can't see it now unbraced and,it'll be there to haunt me.I had the bastard ready to shoot.Ha ha ha.Nooooooo......Thought I'd tweak the arrow pass some carving it out.Went too narrow but still 3/4 thick though.Thought I had er whooped see.Had to get fancy.Ha ha ha.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 03:12:17 pm »
can you put an overlay on the back to keep the handle section from bending, before you put the sinew