Author Topic: Sinewed Shorty In Progress.....Tiller Check  (Read 5415 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Sinewed Shorty In Progress.....Tiller Check
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2016, 12:04:03 am »
OK.Nice width.I like it.I'm sure you've planned for some time on this one since it's your first sinew job.Since it's a bendy handle it'll take less sinew to hold a lot of reflex in the limbs.600 to 800 grains.Half on each limb.You'll have a 75 to 80 pound bow for sure but you said the more the better.All depends on how much sinew you put on her.There fun to tiller and challenging those highly reflexed bows.Like any other the sooner you get a short string on here the better.Then you can align tips if needed.She'll be spunky for ya.That tip kink should'nt be a bother at least it would'nt bother me.Hope to see it later finished up.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2016, 06:37:45 am »
I have one very similar to yours hanging on the wall with sinew curing , mines 62 1/2 ntn & hickory ,I put on about 800 grains of sinew in 2 layers a week apart  I don't  think it makes much difference if you put it on all at once or  in separate layers I think it looks nicer if you sand in between I only reversed braced mine about 2 1/2 in it has picked up another 1/2 on cure so far, good luck with yours it's a beauty ! 
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline SKansasC

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2016, 10:34:38 pm »
Took a little more weight off, evened it up, and added about 750 grains of sinew. Now what do I do for a month?

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2016, 05:54:03 am »
Like Beadman says it's like waiting for Xmas , I'm like a kid I take mine down every day after work & check the sinew induced reflex , I just started another bow while I'm waiting ,looking foward to get your future reports !

Offline SKansasC

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 01:23:21 pm »
 What is the best method to know when the sinew is cured? I have been weighing it daily just to check moisture loss, and it has pretty well evened out. Is there more to curing than just drying? I'm in no hurry, but am just curious.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 02:45:03 pm »
I have been told 6 weeks is safe it realy depends on your climate & air movement , I jumped the gun on my curent sinew bow & between that & my iffy tillering skills ended up with more set than I should have ,my limited advice wood be wait the 6 weeks .

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 08:11:49 pm »
Patience Grasshopper...  :)
Start another bow while you are waiting or come on down to Ojam and start another bow.

Offline SKansasC

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 10:18:39 pm »
Oh, I have plenty to do! Working on a hackberry pyramid, and trying to get all the bark and sapwood stripped of these staves I cut this weekend. Got 6 done so far....only about 25 to go. When and where is Ojam?

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 11:03:36 pm »
Man, I'm working on a black walnut not near as short as yours is. I wish my tiller looked that good. Nice job!!!
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 05:09:45 am »
Now I don't feel sorry for you having to wait on that sinew with that pile (lol) lucky dog !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2016, 10:11:43 am »
Looks good.It can seem like your trying to bend a 2"X4" when it's cured in the beginning.You may have done these I don't know.I usually have to put overlay horn on tips to get started.I've torn the nock wood before.
Your really better off to wait.Don't have to retiller then later and it will take less set too.I've weighed them too and after a while it can take over a week to show decline in weight.Don't be fooled by that.Best thing is after a few days is to put it somewhere warm with some light air movement on it.Does'nt take much.Just like drying clothes on a line.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2016, 11:36:47 am »
Ojam is the Oklahoma Selfbow Society camp/build/shoot/socialize...etc , event this weekend down by Stillwater,Ok.  It starts Thursday.
Details are in the Events Forum.