Author Topic: Sinewed Shorty In Progress.....Tiller Check  (Read 5416 times)

Offline SKansasC

Sinewed Shorty In Progress.....Tiller Check
« on: March 03, 2016, 08:15:10 pm »
I'm in the process of getting this bow ready for sinew this weekend. It's 55" nock to nock, and pulls 46 lbs at 19" as of right now. Looking for mid 50's at 26" when done. There is a little "kink" towards the tip on the left side that's given me some tiller trouble, and need some fresh eyes to look at it. First bendy handled shorty I've tried, so any help is appreciated!

Offline Stixnstones

Re: Sinewed Shorty In Progress.....Tiller Check
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 08:55:04 pm »
Man, thats lookin good to me. Have never made a bendy before so i really aint got no say . But kinda looks like ya want more bend out towards outter 1/3. Again sir i've never done one, just my 2 cents. But looks sweet.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 09:07:05 pm »
I would get the mids to work a little more so you don't take set in the handle area. Just a bit.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline SKansasC

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 08:46:50 am »
Thanks for the advice!
When I do the sinew this weekend should I try and get some reflex and reverse string it, or just leave it unbraced?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 09:06:37 am »
I always add a bit of reflex before sinewing. Reverse stringing slightly works well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 09:14:34 am »
How much sinew you planning on putting on there?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline SKansasC

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 09:48:22 am »
I know I have enough for 2 courses, maybe a third if I have enough extra.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 10:00:46 am »
Being 46@19" you'll have yourself one heck of a bow there as far as poundage goes is all I'm saying.If applied evenly to both limbs it won't change your tiller none.Maybe you've done this before.I usually do the courses a week apart & sand in between.That's just me.Reverse stringing is what you put into it.Reverse it to 5" it'll give you that and probably 3/4" more.It won't take much of a reverse stringing to get 5" either with the flipped tips.Ought to be a nice bow for ya.Enjoy seeing it later done and decked out.
BowEd
Ed

Offline SKansasC

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 10:10:48 am »
I was anticipating some tiller adjustments after sinew, but the heavier the better. This will be my first time sinew backing as well, so thank you for the advice! I was under the impression the you could do two courses in the same setting, but I'm in no hurry.

Offline John Scifres

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 01:42:42 pm »
Add an extra course in the handle area.  Mine always seem to bend too much there if I don't.  Also, put one course just down the center as your first course.  I think I would reduce the weight a little more from midlimb out prior to sinewing.  You could safely take another 10# off and still make weight easily.

Tiller is looking pretty good.  I think the left limb is a little behind the right. I might give it a few extra passes with the scraper.  Left limb is on bottom in this pic.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 02:58:45 pm »
To me, the area just before the tips looks a little stiff on both limbs. On such a short bow, I'd have it bend to right before the curves. Matter of taste, though.
Don't shoot!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 03:02:30 pm »
I agree. That is what causes handle set. Gotta' get every stitch of working limb, working.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline SKansasC

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 06:46:17 pm »
Thanks guys, I'll get to work!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 06:50:59 pm »
You can sinew everything at one time.Did'nt say you could'nt.I was just saying what I do and yes there is a right way to apply sinew and an average way.Put more where it will work the most and less towards the tips.Crown it and make it do it's thing.Did'nt hear mentioned how wide your limbs are.That'll make a difference too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline SKansasC

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 07:13:18 pm »
Limbs are 1 3/8" wide tapering the last 1/3rd to the tips.