Author Topic: First Selfbow Build  (Read 4619 times)

Offline bigwoods

First Selfbow Build
« on: March 04, 2016, 10:14:45 am »
I first want to thank a friend for the great instruction and mentoring along with the use of his tools, shop and suppiles. Thanks Pearl Drums!!! Hopefully we will get more chances to build a couple more.

Ok, now for the bow.....62" NTN Osage coming in at 50#@26". It has Rat Snake skins, sheep horn tip overlays and a rawhide grip. It will be on its maiden voyage tomorrow morning at the Michigan Bunny Stomp.

Offline Lobo1330

Re: First Selfbow Build
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 10:20:31 am »
Very nice, can't wait to build from a stave
Calvin
Monahans,Tx

Offline Sockrablur

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 10:21:42 am »
wow... nice job man!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 10:22:47 am »
Excellent, great work, you are lucky to have Pearlie as a mentor :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 10:23:58 am »
First bow? My 40th didn't look that good, great job!

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 10:27:23 am »
Heck ya Terry! Looks great and glad you joined in. Terry took greg, chris and me out chasing bunnies a month ago.  He has some awesome dogs and is one heck of a trainer also. Thanks again for taking us out!

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 10:35:53 am »
Nice bends. 

Offline Will B

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 11:01:40 am »
Great looking bow.  Nice job!

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 11:09:43 am »
Outstanding!!!!!! I saw some pics last nite and was hoping you would post a full draw. Just a little advice, don't let Pearl draw your bow !!
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bigwoods

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 11:17:34 am »
Thank you very much guys. The experience was awesome and will do it all again no doubt. PD is a great teacher a lot of fun to talk to. I did ask if he wanted to shoot it and he wouldnt. I dont think he ever drew it more than 13-14".  Paulie, next time you come back I will show you the art of cutting the bunny off. ; )

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 11:44:02 am »

Bad news is that , from this angle, you could easily be mistaken for Paulie! At 1st glance wondered why ya had Paulie pulling that bow back for ya.

That's a fine fine looking bow. Bends seem to be 1st rate. Congrats, and hope to see many more!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 11:56:48 am »
Excellent bow but I would expect no less with Pearlie as a teacher. Well done!   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 12:06:26 pm »
Great looking bow!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 12:07:47 pm »
Terry was a breeze to have around the shop for a few weeks. I did very little hands on work to this bow. He was quick to understand exactly what he was feeling for and looking for. I built my trade bow while he worked on his bow, that should tell you something about his intuition!

The bow holds a bunch of reflex, has a great un-braced shape and looks very healthy. Top limb is twisted, it appears as a flat spot.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 12:14:57 pm »

Bad news is that , from this angle, you could easily be mistaken for Paulie! At 1st glance wondered why ya had Paulie pulling that bow back for ya.

Bad news for you mike I think you need a stronger prescription on them glasses. I have the B cups and belly going on, Terry's built like a brick s!%#house