Author Topic: Sharp hooks ( a how to and lots of argument as to their merits )  (Read 28884 times)

Offline sleek

How do some of you guys get those beautiful sharp 90 degree hooks at the end of a bow? I need to make 5 inches bend 90 degree on osage. Every time i try it cracks on me with dry heat and steam.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 03:32:06 pm by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JonW

Re: Sharp hooks
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 10:53:36 am »
Boil it Kevin. Dry heat works but boiling is pretty much fool proof.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 02:10:46 pm »
If your bow is already braced and pulling around 20" the tip will be pretty thin. Boil them and they'll turn to noodles. With Osage it'll help if your last 5-6" is one ring

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 10:32:45 pm »
How long do you boil them for?

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 10:35:06 pm »
For yew I boil about 25-30 min, not enough experience with recurving Osage but I hear of guys doing it 30-40 min

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 02:19:01 am »
Yep, boiling is the only way to get the tightest bends. Leave the tips full width. Having the belly to one growth ring is essential. Round the edges over very well too. You can also notch the width if you want to concentrate the bend in one particular spot. Using a form with a strap of steel is pretty much obligatory too. Having a long pipe clamp or similar will allow you to keep tightening it, little by little, without removing it from the heat. Do not try and get all the bend at once.
If you use all these bits of advice you should be able to get 90 degrees. Then welcome to the world of proper recurves! ;)

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 12:03:35 pm »
Yep.  I put em in the pot cold, bring the heat up, and boil them a good long time.  How long depends on 5hickness, of course, but too long is better than not long enough.

Also, get that wood as thin as you can first.  And be willing to put belly overlays on or whatever, too.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 12:18:34 pm »
Just to add to the fun. I never strap mine and I only steam them, with great success. I make the entire bend in one shot as well. So there, that is exactly 100% opposite of what they told you as a method.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 12:20:15 pm »
I have the mental image of you throwing wrenches in gears and loving it.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 12:21:30 pm »
No sir. I throw experience at gears to help them rotate and mesh more freely.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 12:37:02 pm »
I like your style.

But what do i know right?  ;)

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 12:40:32 pm »
 9 year old did this with dry heat, no strap and first time doing it, hell sleek if he can do that with dry ya got to be able to get a 90 deg bend boiling it, i double dawg dare ya 😈😈
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline sleek

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 12:46:08 pm »
All that with dry heat? Better man than I. Kudos.

I was able to get boiling to work. It bent right over limp as could be. No splinter or tear out.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 01:22:38 pm by sleek »

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 02:30:36 pm »
Experience counts, but everyone's does.  Sometimes what works for us is what we prefer, or what we have the best tools for.

I have done  lots, many even, sharp curves with steam and both dry heat, no straps.  But I have done even more, and with better success, by boiling.  My boiling set-up is definitely a better tool for the job than any of my steaming set-ups have been.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 03:22:11 pm »
With all due respect, Mr. Buck,  pics, or it didn't happen. I want to see all these bows you talk about, I'm serious and curious. Id love to see just a few, or even snippits of recurves, handles, tip overlays, leather grips, whatever. Im not being my usual smarta** self either. It makes the words take on their proper meaning, at least for me.