Author Topic: Black Locust Bow Help  (Read 2715 times)

Offline Dylan.philo

Black Locust Bow Help
« on: March 08, 2016, 05:17:45 am »
Hello, I'm new to the site and bow making in general- this is my first one. It's black locust with reflex tips and I'm considering sinew backing later. But, I'm a little lost at what step is next, and I have some questions about the bow in general.

1: My limbs do not match up, is this a problem? I might be able to heat bend them evenly, but that might be pretty tough.
2: Should I take off more wood from the back or belly? Im not worried about the growth rings for my first one.
3: I have a couple knot spots Im concerned about- should I do anything with those spots?

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Dylan

Offline Dylan.philo

Re: Black Locust Bow Help
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 05:24:38 am »
I would post pictures, but the site won't let me. The size is fine, and they are JPEG- no idea what the problem is.

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 05:27:04 am »
Welcome to PA.
Three things:
1, do worry about growth rings. A sinew back is no guarantee for a safe limb if what's below isnt sound.
2, post a few pics of what you're talking about. A picture says more than a thousand words. If you cant load them send them to me by e-mail and I can try instead.
3, learn to walk before you try to run. Recurves, sinew backing, ... That's pretty advanced for a first bow

Joachim

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 08:33:15 am »
Why don't you checkout my site snd then come back with questions?
Also, Comstock's "The Bent Stick" is an excellent book.

http://traditionalarchery101.com/

Check to see how much heartwood you have. The best scenario for BL is a heartwood back but you can leave some sapwood if need be.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 09:11:30 am »
I 2nd Paul Comstocks, The bent stick got my first successfull bow out of that book , I think its only about $10 and spent a lot more than that on some other books and didnt get as much.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 01:47:48 pm »
A good ring is absolutely necessary for locust, it's going to want to explode no matter what you do if you leave ring violations. A clean ring is like having lungs to breathe with this stuff. Never cut through knots, go over them.

Pics are going to be the biggest help for us to help you. Some differences in limb shape don't hurt, some should be corrected.

Sinew and recurves might be a bit much for your first bow, locust doesn't really need the sinew as it's got more tension strength than it needs already.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 01:24:21 pm »
I'm with the boys on this.

An intact growth ring, not cut into or through anywhere is requirement number one for a bowmaking.   There are exceptions, but right there is the rule.  You ALWAYS remove material from the belly and sides.  ALMOST NEVER the back.

Especially early on, not having lopsided limbs is such a great help.  If you don't fix the symmetry, then make or buy a caliper of some sort, anything to measure thickness (shelf brackets bolted together with washers for spacers , maybe?  ), and get that perfect limb thickness taper going.    If you want to correct them, just slowly clamp the stave face down to a 2x4 or anything, C-clamps obviously work, but what about using metal straps or shelf brackets and strong screws?   Or drilling holes in the 2x4 and wiring it in place.  You can heat treat over any old camp stove, indoor stove, hotplate, barbecue, etc..  Get yourself the straightest, or at least most symmetrical stave 6ou can manage.

Bigger curves should be steamed out.  If you lack equipment, wrap a soaking wet rag around the spot and wrap that in a couple or three wraps of aluminum foil.  Tie, wire, or tape the ends down, and heat that over the stove, flipping often, until steam is pouring out every tiny crack or hole in the foil, then, leaving the foil on, find a way to crank, clamp, or tie down the section quickly to straighten it.  Remember, some guys do this all in the fork of a tree with a campfire.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 01:29:45 pm »
Do yourself a favour and do some reading on some basics. There's many good build alongs on this site. The bowyer bible series or any other books will answer most your questions.
Good luck and post pics