Author Topic: Bows with all the bells and whistles (gifts for my friends)  (Read 37619 times)

Offline half eye

Re: Bows with all the bells and whistles (gifts for my friends)
« Reply #135 on: April 03, 2016, 04:24:43 pm »
Well fellas, I got the seneca done....except for the linen string. We are still in the middle of a 3 day blizzard so you will get the reg pics as soon as we can get outside.

These are some close up shots of all 4 sides cause the bow looks different from each side. The hair on the upper fineal is attached with twisted rawhide and moves like a bucket handle....so it may have to go due to noise ( the hard rawhide will bang pretty loud on hardwood) but that will be up to Don. Here are a bunch of pics untill I get outside.
rich

PS: thanks swampman and gutshot appreciate it.

Offline half eye

« Reply #136 on: April 03, 2016, 04:25:50 pm »
more

Offline half eye

« Reply #137 on: April 03, 2016, 04:26:45 pm »
last

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #138 on: April 03, 2016, 05:08:57 pm »
Great lookin' bow. And REALLY like the "hairy" tip.

3-day blizzard! Spring in the midwest . . . . often interesting.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #139 on: April 03, 2016, 06:48:08 pm »
Rich,
        A ways back you mentioned "Magnus opus"...You weren't play'n...I'm speechless right now...The scallops, skins, rawhide handle and wraps, carved fineals and paint look amazing and I can't wait to get my hands on that bow...That bow has some strong medicine and a one of a kind personality :o :o :o
         Thank you Richard !!!
                                           Don

P.S. I will name that one "Strong Medicine" if that's ok...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline ajooter

« Reply #140 on: April 03, 2016, 07:04:41 pm »
Beautiful in every way Rich!

Offline half eye

« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2016, 08:02:23 pm »
Thank you for all the nice comments, I really appreciate them.

Don, The "carrier" names the weapon....so that sounds good to me. I will get some better close up pics so ya can see the detail better.

rich

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #142 on: April 03, 2016, 11:25:28 pm »
Wow, just WOW!
Rich, you are the man!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #143 on: April 04, 2016, 05:55:41 am »
Rich your gonna have a hard time topping that bow. When you said all the bells and whistles you meant it. I like those carvings along with everything else. If don names it bad medicine then his name has to be the Medicine Man. He will deliver the Bad Medicine to the deer with it

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #144 on: April 06, 2016, 07:55:18 am »
Rich,
        Would love to see them close up pics of the tips and paint while it's all drying...How's Jon's bow coming along?
                                                                                                                                          Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline half eye

« Reply #145 on: April 06, 2016, 08:05:08 am »
Hey Don,
     Will have the close-up pics and Jons bow progress this evening sir....We had a 3 day blizzard, one clear day (but only 1 degree) and now we got another 2 day blow maybe another 8-10 inches.....gettin a little sick of snow about now >:D >:D >:D
rich

Offline AScott

« Reply #146 on: April 06, 2016, 09:43:20 am »
Hey Half Eye, I am new to bow making, been making some board bows learning as I go. I have met up with a fellow bow maker from Ithaca NY just 45 min north of me, he taught me a lot about working with Osage (it takes patience and a lot of work but I'll get it) mention to him that I am interested in making bows native to our area Finger Lakes region Iroquois nations and he said you were the man to talk to. I have just got on to this thread and I'm blown away with the work you do and the knowledge. So here goes how many different types of bows are there for this area, with in the five tribes  six if you include Tuscarora. Also what types of wood was used.

Scott

Offline half eye

« Reply #147 on: April 06, 2016, 11:02:22 am »
Mr. Scott, PM sent to you, sir.
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #148 on: April 06, 2016, 07:11:02 pm »
Fellas,
    The first 6 pictures are close-up pics of the Seneca that Don wanted to see (since he cant get the bow for a little bit longer. The next sets of pics are Jon's Penobscott....got it scalloped and the skins on. Next steps are to final trim the skins, and clean up the narrow edges and belly so we can get it put together. One difference in this Penobscott is the center 12 inches of the main bow is a "D" section (rounded belly) due to a small tear-out from where the stave was originally split out.
    Should have some good progress here shortly.
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #149 on: April 06, 2016, 07:12:15 pm »
more pics