Author Topic: Bows with all the bells and whistles (gifts for my friends)  (Read 37351 times)

Offline JonW

Re: Bows with all the bells and whistles (gifts for my friends)
« Reply #165 on: April 09, 2016, 04:27:56 pm »
 8) 8) 8)

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #166 on: April 09, 2016, 04:48:31 pm »
Rich,
         Excellent work Sir...Both bows are awesome, sinew, paint, skins and all the bells and whistles... :o :o :o
         Can't wait to shoot that Seneca in bud...52" of Osage, sinewed, 65@26 >:D Thank you for making this bow for me, I've been wanting one of your scalloped bows for a long time ;)
                                                                                                                               Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline ajooter

« Reply #167 on: April 09, 2016, 05:40:49 pm »
Those came out great rich!

Offline half eye

« Reply #168 on: April 09, 2016, 05:43:57 pm »
Thanks ajooter

Jon, Don really glad you like 'em so far.....we will have to see what ya think after ya get the little darlings >:D

rich

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #169 on: April 09, 2016, 05:45:09 pm »
Rich both bows are great work of art. I love the way you make them after relic bows from the past. Great Job.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #170 on: April 09, 2016, 06:04:21 pm »
Awesome bows!  Rich, you are turning out some great work these days.  Enjoyed your post brother.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline half eye

« Reply #171 on: April 10, 2016, 08:37:27 am »
Gutshot, thank you sir, and also a big thanks for all the materials you furnished to boot.

Mr. Rhodes, thank you sir....there are few guys who like 'em.

rich

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #172 on: April 10, 2016, 09:58:27 am »
rich, those are museum quality. just awesome!
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline half eye

« Reply #173 on: April 13, 2016, 10:27:05 am »
Thank you Stix....not sure about that Museum quality stuff though :-[

Got some work done on Mr. Gutshot's bow. I'm wanting 50# at 26"....Only stave I had left was black locust so here are the details. Gut wanted rat snake skin on the bow so thats what is on it ( I believe the color is that of a Texas Rat Snake). Since the stave has some snake in it and the back has some "lumps and bumps" I decided to use belly scallops on it and just let the snake come out. It still needs to have the grip raw-hide wrapped as well as the tip/skin line and on this bow I'm going to paint just the scallops in alternating black and red as a Mohawk example I have seen. Will post up some more as it progresses....right now the bow sits at about 52# so once it's all dolled up I may need to do just a lite belly scrape to inch it down a tad.

Heres the pics fellas
rich

The skin is continuous so if Gut dont like the hide wrap he can just take it off....if he wants to.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #174 on: April 13, 2016, 11:43:42 am »
Wow rich thats NICE. If that's the rat snake I sent ya. It came from Eubank Ky. I picked it up on the road coming home from work last fall. Already dead it was

Offline ajooter

« Reply #175 on: April 13, 2016, 12:03:17 pm »
That's gorgeous rich....I'm sure gut can man up and eek that extra 2# baack!

Offline half eye

« Reply #176 on: April 13, 2016, 01:00:44 pm »
Thanks Ajooter,
Gutshot, Thanks for that info...I looked 'em up and did not see any from the east that looked like that. It is indeed the one you sent sir and a damned fine specimen too!!!!
rich

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #177 on: April 13, 2016, 01:19:16 pm »
  Rich,
           I can tell from here that skin is down tight buddy...Awesome work and with the most efficient nocks in the world, gotta love them pins...Gut's gotta be excitied!!! Really nice 8) 8) 8)
                                                                                                                                          Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #178 on: April 13, 2016, 01:27:02 pm »
  Rich,
           I can tell from here that skin is down tight buddy...Awesome work and with the most efficient nocks in the world, gotta love them pins...Gut's gotta be excitied!!! Really nice 8) 8) 8)
                                                                                                                                          Don

I'm very excited Don. Can't wait to sling some Cain arrows through it

Offline half eye

« Reply #179 on: April 14, 2016, 10:35:20 am »
Here is the progress pics fellas. I made the arrow rest from molded buffalo rawhide, then after it dried applied with a whitetail rawhide wrap. The arrow rest is about as hard as anything ya can get so should gives years of service. It's made like a floppy rest....it just dont flop. There is also a pic of the painted scallops.
    At the skin / tip margins there is a decorative rawhide wrap but thin cut. In the pics the wraps are satill wet so need for them to dry up. All that remains is to get the red and black string from gutshot and add a fineal treatment to the upper limb tip. Also hopefully gutshot will let me know if he wants any of the rawhide painted, maybe red
rich