Author Topic: flowering dogwood  (Read 5802 times)

Tom B

flowering dogwood
« on: February 21, 2008, 08:49:51 pm »
ok brothers in bows.(sometimes knots). i'm considering a flowering dogwood cutting.how is cornus florida as a bow wood?sg is good.it can beat the crap out of stubborn rock .birds n tree rats love em.any info,experience? thanks in advance.tom

Offline DanaM

Re: flowering dogwood
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 09:04:07 pm »
No personal experience as it don't grow up here, but I've seen others make great bows with it. Go for it ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 09:23:56 pm »
i hear it works good, i have been looking for some myself, non has fallen in my lap yet- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

jamie

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 09:25:48 pm »
excellent if ya can find a straight piece

wvfknapper

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 09:33:26 pm »
All the dogwood I have split spirals real bad, but if you can find a good piece I heard it make a sweet bow,, I know people who also use it for flintknapping.

wvflintknapper

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 10:22:43 pm »
Tom, I've seen a couple nice dogwood bows. I haven't made one yet, but I've got a stave seasoning right now. Robert, I like dogwood and persimmon billets for whacking quartzite and rhyolite.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

wvfknapper

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 11:26:27 pm »
Hillbilly

A friend from WV , Dave Crow uses wood billets and I seen a guy from NC or SC , cant remember his name but he was bare foot and had shorts on using wood billets working that green ryolite, the act of using wood billets seems so violent in comparison to antler or copper ,, I was just waiting on the guy to break his hand,, but it works.

wvflintknapper

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 11:45:12 pm »
That would have been wildman James Parker, awesome knapper. What little bit I know I mostly learned from him. The wood works on that tough stuff better than anything else. The green rhyolite works good with antler, too. Tom B's son Patrick can sure whack some nice points out of that rhyolite.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 01:21:45 am »
Tom, I cut a dogwood a few months back. The stave Hillbilly has came from the same tree. I have heard it makes good bows but I haven't worked it yet. The butt log(5") I split has a few degrees of twist in 7'. That should be no problem.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 09:18:29 am »
I have made a couple a few years back that turned out OK,didn't know much about bow building
then and they still done alright.We have some seasoning now and a couple roughed out.It
should turn out a good bow,I see no reason why it wouldn't.It is really pretty wood when
finished.  :)     
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 09:26:59 am »
Pat, I got it split,  debarked, and sealed. It looks like at least one bow, maybe two. I'm looking forward to working with it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

ozark caveman

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 09:55:48 am »
ok brothers in bows.(sometimes knots). i'm considering a flowering dogwood cutting.how is cornus florida as a bow wood?sg is good.it can beat the crap out of stubborn rock .birds n tree rats love em.any info,experience? thanks in advance.tom
Tom! It's excellent wood. Click this link and you'll see two dogwood bows that I made.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,5248.0.html

Tom B

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 05:57:36 pm »
thanks for the feedback and link. i did do a search first and saw zip.none are so blind...thanks guys.tom

Offline artcher1

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 07:31:56 pm »
Dogwood make a pretty good bow Tom. My most shot bow ever is dogwood. Course I don't shoot that much you know ;D!  Anyways, after I plum wore it out I sinewed the thing and it's now perhaps my fastest bow.

wvfknapper

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 07:37:24 pm »
Hillbilly

That was James,, he sure can swing a wood billet..........I like working the Green rock also, does it come from your area? Hard to get decent size pieces...........I have made some killer Clovis points from it.

wvflintknapper