Author Topic: Osage Lay out  (Read 3663 times)

Offline jeffp51

Re: Osage Lay out
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 06:13:19 pm »
after you have chased a ring on osage, if you take it into direct sunlight, you will see lines running up and down the length of the back of the bow.  find one of these in the middle of your fade, and then draw a pencil line down it to the tip.  With the right light, it is very easy to see the grain on osage.  With it, I don't worry about the crown.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 07:15:27 pm »
Only one snag, bub. If a stave doesn't split right on the nut from side to side, that tool will lead you astray.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 08:09:45 pm »
That is true
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline mulberry

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2016, 09:27:41 am »
So far, I've ruined all but 1 Osage stave I've touch because I haven't been laying them out correctly. I need to read more vs trying to learn by making mistakes on these staves!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2016, 10:07:20 am »
Here is something to try, mulberry. Once you get a good back cleaned up, burnish it good with 0000 steel wool. It makes the grain fire up and that makes it much easier to see and follow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2016, 10:39:17 am »
Thanks bubby, that's the one I thought you were taking about

Offline mulberry

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2016, 10:41:45 am »
Nice tip Pearl! Im getting very frustrated with staves!!!

Offline ajooter

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2016, 05:55:14 pm »
I'm by far no expert...but lately I've been laying all my bows out from the belly side.  I usually leave the bow a little wider and then further tweak my layout once I clean the belly up.  It makes it much easier to follow the grain.

Somebody chime in if this isn't a good practice please.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2016, 06:21:05 pm »
Here is the one I made. It started out as a tillering gizmo, and still is but I added the dowels to the other side to use it for a centering tool.
 I start with it this way and go down the complete stave...

...then cant it the other way...

and go down the complete stave. As the stave widens and narrows the line will come off center so by going back the other way you get 2 lines in some places. I just split the difference there.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2016, 05:09:26 am »
Ajooter thats a great idea , the grain is clear as a bell from the bottom especialy on flatter staves.
If you fear failure you will never Try !