Author Topic: Osage Lay out  (Read 3662 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Osage Lay out
« on: March 10, 2016, 05:26:03 am »
I am laying out my first osage stave , I'm a little confused on doing it I have read Torges book as well as TBB & build alongs here ,I understand about centering down the crown & following the grain there,but my confusion is in the front view sides layout & grain violations there  , I know Torges speaks to just taking the limb width layout off the center line with no mention of grain in that area , so I figured I would throw it out here for help ,I could probably PM members & find out but figured there might be others with similar questions that could help ? So could you guys please explain how it's done ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Osage Lay out
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 06:47:23 am »
If ypour centerline is on top dead center and follows the grain perfectly, then yes, you will have "violations" as you width taper, its impossible not to. Those same width tapers become a problem only when your centerline isn't right. That's where unexpected twisting at first brace comes from, or broken bows due to splinters.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 07:03:23 am »
Thanks Pearl  I understand about the lmb taper violations I guess my question is for exsample if I follow the center grain line above the crown & measure 3/4 in each side of it to get 1 1/2 limbs  & the outer limb line splits a grain line with out running off is that ok or do I need to stay out side the grain line ? Hope that made sense ?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 07:23:41 am »
Ahhhh, your splitting hairs. Don't worry about that. Just do what you said. Find the centerline and go 3/4" off each side for your width.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 11:29:59 am »
Pearl is right, don't worry much there.

One of the reasons you lay the centerline out along the crown and following the grain, is that this puts the highest part of the crown down the middle of the bow, regardless of wiggles.  So, the bow will be thickest right along that centerline.  So, that area will experience the most tension strain on the back.  So, the edges (which are thinner) will experience much less. So, unless MAJORLY WEIRDLY violated, you won't have any issues.

Now, if it takes an obviously wild curve in the grain, as around a knot, say, you might have to do something about that. 98% of the time, it's a non-issue.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 11:43:01 am »
Does the crown always follow the grain?

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 02:35:34 pm »
 No, especially on smaller diameter trees.  And, if you want to force it to, on the caul, you probably could most of the time.  But, it won't be off by much, and little tweaks will get a good match-up, even if you have to split the difference.  What you don't want is a limb that is much fatter on one side than the other, or the tips will twist or lean sideways as you draw.

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 02:41:41 pm »
I have a little tool got the idea from patb finds the middle of the stave and i just measure off that line to get layout, works on a split stave
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 02:42:14 pm »
Yes, and by following the crown you are following the lateral grain which runs tip to tip.
Check this.
http://traditionalarchery101.com/layout.html
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 03:21:39 pm »
Thanks George some how missed that one ,that pretty well exsplains it.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 03:46:09 pm »
Bubby, I'm pretty sure I know what tool you are referring to, but would you mind posting a picture if you have one?

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 04:09:01 pm »
Bubby, I'm pretty sure I know what tool you are referring to, but would you mind posting a picture if you have one?

+1

I have my own ways of doing this, but I like to see and try everything that might help.

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 04:28:43 pm »
I'll post a pick when i get home guys

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 05:33:55 pm »
Here ya go

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 05:34:50 pm »
One side for wide staves the othe for narrower ones