Author Topic: need advice on Black Locust staves  (Read 2587 times)

Offline timmyd

need advice on Black Locust staves
« on: March 15, 2016, 11:20:55 pm »
Hi all...need some help here. I split these black locust staves on Saturday, sealed the ends. I left them wide to help against warping. I've built quite a few hickory self bows but this is my first time working with Black Locust so I could use some advice. To give a reference, these staves are a minimum 7" across the back. Should I leave the bark on for now or remove? also, I need advice on ring chasing. The end pic below of the one stave shows 2 rings right under the sap wood but then the early growth takes over till I get about half way down? should I split the belly off to get to those thicker, denser rings? how would you handle this stave? thanks in advance

Offline JonW

Re: need advice on Black Locust staves
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 11:34:07 pm »
Take the bark and sap wood off now if you can. Seal them good. I would let them dry for a while to reduce the chance of warpage. Later you can chase rings and split them again.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 07:47:53 am »
X2..after you get that done with all of them you can pick one stave and start chasing a ring...just make sure you seal the back and ends up good when your done!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 08:05:06 am »
From the looks of them upper rings I would take a belly split off 20/25 rings in, seal it good and go from there. JMO ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 08:33:44 am »
From the looks of them upper rings I would take a belly split off 20/25 rings in, seal it good and go from there. JMO ;) :)
 Pappy
. X2. Those top rings are real tight. I got black locust a few years ago and split log into staves removed bark and sapwood and sealed with shellac on back and ends. Stored it in my basement. No drying checks at all

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 09:25:11 am »
Or you could just work them down to those two bigger rings about 10 rings down.  I think that is what I would do

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 10:22:22 am »
It's not the thin rings that bother me so much with it, it is the early /late ratio that would make me go deeper. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 07:40:07 pm »
I am with pappy on that stave  You have two light bows in the top half and a sweet heavy bow in that belly split   Looks like   $0.02  worth   '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington