Author Topic: going for bankruptcy ( 70@28 49"ttt pics added ) chrono numbers pg 6 NOW SINEWED  (Read 37223 times)

Offline sleek

Well last time I went for broke, it broke. Taking another try.  60#@28 49" ttt stiff handle, sap back osage. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 06:20:01 pm by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline J05H

Re: going for bankruptcy
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 01:13:15 am »
Good luck!
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 07:17:27 am »
Yep good luck, can't quite figure why you would want to :-\ but good luck just the same. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 08:35:33 am »
Pappy, these short bows have many benefits and are real sweethearts to shoot.  Brush and tree stands become much easier to deal with. They are super quiet even without silencers, completely dead in the hand on release, and 5hey pack a good punch as well.  Not to mention they require much less wood which is always a good thing when looking for osage staves.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 08:37:25 am »
        The New York Times (18 March 1923);

"Why did you want to climb Mount Everest?" This question was asked of George Leigh Mallory, who was with both expeditions toward the summit of the world’s highest mountain, in 1921 and 1922, and who is now in New York. He plans to go again in 1924, and he gave as the reason for persisting in these repeated attempts to reach the top......

"Because it's there."
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 10:50:57 am »
I completely understand the "because it's there", I have done a lot of that from character wood, just form my experience they won't last long at that draw length being that short. Your time, your wood so have fun that is all that really matters. Look forward to seeing it in action. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 11:01:07 am »
  Sleek its ok to have a goal of 60#@28" but if it starts taking set at 24" it might not be a good idea to keep going any further. I have built quite a few 50# at 28" shorties most of them took to much set, they are also very hard to be accurate with. Your wood will tell you when you have gone far enough.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 11:02:23 am »
If it can be done I'll bet you can do it Kevin.
And, if it works, "Chapter 11" would make a good name for the bow.  :D

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 11:21:25 am »
What Pappy said. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 11:24:59 am »
Are we supposed to push the "Notify" button when people are doing particularly outside-the-box bow builds or is that just for really offensive stuff?  :o :o :o

OneBow

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 11:46:48 am »
Are we supposed to push the "Notify" button when people are doing particularly outside-the-box bow builds or is that just for really offensive stuff?  :o :o :o

OneBow

I don't think so, but when you ask for opinions you tend to get them. I have always built outside the box stuff strictly because I enjoy doing it, I have also wasted a lot of wood. Won't stop me from doing more though.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 11:50:17 am »
<snip>And, if it works, "Chapter 11" would make a good name for the bow.  :D

...and if it breaks you could call it 'File 13'!!!   ;D ;) ;D :laugh: - OneBow

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 12:18:27 pm »
Sometimes the same skill set that allows us to attempt this type of build is the same skill set that tells us to run the other way, and quickly.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 12:36:44 pm »
I will make a believer of you yet pearly.  These bows held up well at ojam and they were shot many many times.

Because I am only one guy making these short guys to last and perform well,  I cant produce the numbers to really test 100s of them. But I can shoot what I make over and over again. How many months of shooting would it take to prove its a safe reliable bow?

Thanks for the vote of confidence Paul. We shall see if its warranted. I just cut a 62"stave down to 49" and reflexed the handle. Will boil and recurve the tips today, then hopefully get my fades deflexed. Tomorrow starts the profile and tiller work.

Badger, I will be monitoring set closely.  I shouldnt take much. My deflex I put in will equal what set it would take otherwise.  I hope for an inch or less total. Out of curiosity,  why do they make accuracy difficult?  I shot pretty well with them. If I am doing something right id like to know because its probably an accident and id like to focus on it.

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 12:39:23 pm »
Eric, I have no idea what that notify button is for either.