Author Topic: rant  (Read 15666 times)

Offline sleek

rant
« on: March 26, 2016, 10:01:10 pm »
I try sometimes to watch tv with my wife and son.  I try to watch shows that are not beyond what a ten year old should see. But these commercials are terrible.  Many are worse than the tv show. They are often worse because they are supposed to depict what is normal in life. The show is fiction and that is known. But I am tired of kids talking about sex on tv and how such and such products prevent pregnancy so they can do what ever when ever.  There are other commercials that are just as bad on other subjects but this last one irritated me bad.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Lumberman

Re: rant
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 10:52:25 pm »
I agree man, television is for the birds. If your wife can bear it get rid of it! I thought mine would not be able to but she is proud of it now

Offline Electricfrontporch

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 10:40:51 am »
Kill your TV.....if it's an old tube tv the glass is great for knappin....Noah
Don't Panic!

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 04:31:18 pm »
Agreed . Really sucks when you see same sex kissing. I'm never going to be politically correct.
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 04:55:39 pm »
LOL, have you-all seen the Direct TV adds about settlers? >:D
You have to admitt tha they are  funny.
"And Emma, you have your basket of cabbage"
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 10:55:31 am »
I've gone the other way, all my video entertainment is streamed from the internet, either folks I enjoy watching on youtube, or shows on netflix, or stuff I just "download". No commercials, no problems. About the only thing I watch on broadcast TV are sports and Walking Dead because I just can't wait till the next day, someone at the office would have spoiled it on Monday, lol.

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 11:17:01 am »
If this thread is going to devolve in "omg those horrible gays" then it should be locked down as I'm pretty sure that breaks into the "no politics" rule. 

As it is, I don't have cable, only watch PBS on tv if I do watch it at all, and like Urufu either stream or just rent/get movies from the library.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 11:29:12 am »
Its all part of the deterioration of our fabric. It started around 1980 and has manifested into an unstoppable force. Don't wait for the country to change as it cant ever be the same as it was, change your own family and hope the rest catch on.

Did you know in the 70's over 70% of American houses belonged to a wed couple? Its around 17% now. Did you know at that same time only about 20% of the births were out of wedlock? Its about 4x that now. Christianity, buy in or not, started those old values and it to is dying fast in our country. Spooky times just ahead my friends.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 11:30:07 am »
Oh hooray, religion brought into it too!   

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 11:41:09 am »
Look at you go. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 11:46:30 am »
Don't try acting like I'm doing something wrong, when you know there's TWO rules to these forums and you deliberately broke them. 

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 11:59:33 am »
I don't see any adequate representation of a political or religious view being stated, seems like PD was following in line with the question of the current post-modern ethos that actually sleek was pointing out frustration with. Now what would follow his statements on that track would break the religious clause haha, but that's up to you

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 12:00:24 pm »
Save your breath Lumber man.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 12:24:33 pm »
Sorry but I don't see how expressing opinions based on one's personal moral values is either political or religious. I think the aforementioned scary times are getting closer all the time. That happens to be my opinion even though exercising one's freedom of speech may be a little too political for some.

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 12:27:19 pm »
If this thread is going to devolve in "omg those horrible gays" then it should be locked down as I'm pretty sure that breaks into the "no politics" rule. 

As it is, I don't have cable, only watch PBS on tv if I do watch it at all, and like Urufu either stream or just rent/get movies from the library.

Homosexuality is not politics.  Politics may have adopted homosexuality as a cause to promote. But thats it as far as how the two mix. Beyond that its a lifestyle.  I never heard anyone say " straight folks are politics dont be talkin straight around here. " And I agree, sex, drugs, homesexuality both male and female, all of these are life styles I dont want my son to choose. I didnt mention all that because as lumberman picked up and pointed out, it was well implied.

I had to say all that just to disentangle the homosexuality statement from politics. One is not the other any more than drugs or sex or rocknroll. Lifestyle shouldnt be made out to be politcal and therefore it shouldnt be ruled upon either direction. But because we are a non biased group here we also neither ask, tell, or want to know.  So, dont jump in and
scream just because one guy mentioned his preference. Its neither religious or political.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others