"All these things must happen"

Offline Aaron H

Re: rant
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 12:43:47 pm »
Speak

Offline sleek

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2016, 12:56:12 pm »
Its nervous times as a Christian but as one, its a fine line line to walk between wanting Gods will be done and dreading the process. Confusing emotions. He takes care of us though. Thats comforting.  Then there is righteous indignation and it is good to be angry at the same things that make God angry, and to take a stand against it all.

I dont think I mentioned any religion that wouldnt be welcome during time of condolences,  so I should be good to go on the rules. Im gonna step off that fine line now though.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2016, 01:59:57 pm »
Didn't say you said any of that, Sleek, but I couldn't help but notice that there's others that were more than happy to grab the bit and run. 

I like these forums, I REALLY like them.  I like learning about bowmaking and primitive stuff, and I think that the reason those subjects are talked about so much is because the politics and religion rule is enforced here.  I think it's a great rule, and should be stuck to. 

Offline sleek

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2016, 02:54:30 pm »
Your first point. I am addressing here so pay close attention for one moment please.

Sexual orientation and politics are NOT the same. To go with the argument of the ones who are homosexual, they say its not a choice they were born with it. Using that logic only, then they were predisposed to it before they could make the choice of religion or political party. Religion and politics are the choice, not orientation and therefore can NOT be the same.... going by their argument only. Based on that alone, it is NOT politically related.

That point being made, nobody grabbed a bit and ran. I think you perceived an issue and ran with it. Its not there. Please differentiate the two.

Yup, I like the forum too and I like the rules.

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2016, 03:01:29 pm »
It gets murky real quick due to what is going on in our culture as this thread shows. Good explanation of your intentions Ranasp. I think it has been frustrating for a lot of Christians to be labeled as haters for submitting their lives and beliefs to the gospel. Lots of misrepresentation out there and ultimately it is a fact that any believer of Christ who wishes to follow Him is told explicitly in Scripture that they will be ostracized and rejected. I think each generation has to learn what it means. Didn't mean to mock you, apologize if that's how it came off. Everyone can relax and remember that we are just chilling around a big ole campfire haha, interesting run down on the logic involved sleek

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2016, 03:27:01 pm »
LOL, so much for no Religious posts!

Sleek, If you don't like it, don't watch it. Pretty simple.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline sleek

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2016, 03:37:23 pm »
I dont think you get my point jojo. I pick my shows for my kid, but I cant pick my commercials. no choice on those. Of course I could forgo the tv entirely, but why should I have to? Should have a service where you get to pick your commercials. Or at least ban certain ones and list why, from your show.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2016, 03:42:40 pm »
I dont think you get my point jojo. I pick my shows for my kid, but I cant pick my commercials. no choice on those. Of course I could forgo the tv entirely, but why should I have to? Should have a service where you get to pick your commercials. Or at least ban certain ones and list why, from your show.

I do get it, show your provider that the show is ok, but you aren't willing to watch the content of the commercials. Call them, e-mail them. I have a rule I try to follow, Do, or do not. If you are going to complain and do nothing, you have no place to complain. If you are complaining to the right people, perhaps something will get done. If nothing gets done, at least you know that you did what you could. Also keep in mind that they advertise to a select audience. People that watch the show buy the product they are pitching! If they didn't they would be wasting money. Ever notice "Dating" Line commercials late at night, Or lawyers ads? Product placement.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline willie

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2016, 03:47:08 pm »
It gets murky real quick due to what is going on in our culture

Lumberman makes a good point here, but it is not something new in our culture, I do not think.

Now that the election season is upon us, I could not help but notice a editorial in the local paper.

The gist of it was....."We have preachers telling us how to vote, and politicians telling us what to believe" ...the mindset of the rest of the piece was somewhat like what I see expressed here, about the recency of the change.

You do not have to look very hard at the history of this country, to see that the characterizations in religious and political discussions often are, and have for a long time been, conflated and abused.

Look at one of the the most shameful and devastating events in our national history, The war between the states. 150 years later we still cannot agree on the causes that brought brother against brother, and decimated this country. Was is about economics? race? morality? Freedom?
 All of these things to some degree or another for sure, but to say that it was religious or political is only to describe the lens that you are looking through. To be clear, I am not saying that seeing through a lens is wrong, we all it do to some extent.

Homosexuality?  Moral decadence? Drugs and rock and roll?  The decline of our culture? State your views as you own, and there should not be a problem in a civil discussion. Citing your views, as such and such, and then presenting it as authoritative for someone else because it was ordained by God, Nature, the President or the Supreme Court, is when we bring religion and politics into the discussion.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 04:04:30 pm by willie »

Offline willie

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2016, 03:57:13 pm »
Hey Sleek,

there is an electronic accessory with a hard disk that you can buy for your TV.
You can record the show for watching later, or just start it when the show begins, and start watching a few minutes later. You can fast forward through the stuff you do not want to see, and if you time it right, you can watch the end of the show or game in real time, so that your your buddy does't call after the winning goal, and spoil the ending for you.

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2016, 04:19:44 pm »
 As a follower of Jesus it is hard to find things descent for our children as well as my grandchildren to watch.  We need to be able to speak as much as others
of our rights as Americans. Nothing special needed. The adds on TV are really bad agreed.  Sleek I am glad my sons are grown. But I have to find
good things for the little one still. I'm with you on this whether we talk about Jesus or not.  Times are going to get worse so we need to stick together, all of us
here to lend a hand to stand with our brothers.
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2016, 04:45:16 pm »
Hmm, one would think a forum based on, to one extent or another, history, would have more folks who know the whole "the world is in moral decay" is just a myth and has been said by every generation since before the atlatl was invented.

As for homosexuality, I find it highly unlikely it can be discussed without it being a religious topic since it seems only the religious are concerned with it. Though it shouldn't be an issue, anyone who speaks out against them on the basis of whats written in the bible are merely modern day pharisees and sadducees who followers of Christ should roundly rebuke as Christ did.

Offline willie

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2016, 05:01:27 pm »
As for homosexuality.................. only the religious are concerned with it.

Urufu

Are you commenting about the postings in this thread, or the discussion as whole in our culture?