Author Topic: Trip to meet Oglala Bowyer  (Read 2082 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Trip to meet Oglala Bowyer
« on: April 01, 2016, 04:12:08 pm »
Joe and I have been trying to meet up for years, yet despite being a stones throw from each other, we have never pulled it off.   Until earlier this week!  Joe told me he was now teaching school nowadays and that was all I needed!  I knew he couldn't duck out on me if I showed up at his school and wouldn't want to if I brought some raptors down with me. 

So we set up the dates and I drove down to meet him and some kids.  We had initially planned on just doing one of his classrooms, but I showed up early and stayed late.  We did a bunch of classes back to back, giving the kids a chance to meet the raptors up close and personal.  Call it planting seeds of conservation on fertile ground!!

Afterwards, we got some pics:

From the look on his face, Joe thinks Elise looks kinda sketchy!

And from the look on Elise's face, she thinks Joe looks pretty sketchy, too!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: Trip to meet Oglala Bowyer
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 05:30:08 pm »
When ya've not met someone, but "know" he/she through their writings, always form mental picture of what person looks like.
My mental picture is NEVER even close!

Ya, it's good to finally meet each other.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 03:09:52 am »
Cool, I bet the kids loved it. :)
yeah... mental picture... it was sure a shock when I met you JW ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 04:41:39 am »
What a treat for the Kids & Good on You JDub ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 07:06:04 am »
Good on you JW and Joe.
It 's an important task, introducing those birds to kids, it makes an impression on them.
I was one of those kids once.....45 years ago :o

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 01:07:13 pm »
Best part was when a young boy in braids and a serious face nodded his head when we made eye contact and stuck his hand out to shake mine. I was answering another kid's question and this young man caused the words to catch in my throat for a moment.

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 07:10:49 pm »
Good times by all!  The kids are still gleaming from meeting JW and his friends. After hearing what a red tail hawk is capable of doing, sketchy hardly covers the fear written on my face. I even scored an awesome Osage stave and a jar of honey from JW. By the way, my wife thanks you for her now jar of honey. JW was a trooper through it all we covered kindergarten thru eighth grade in one afternoon.  Pretty impressive I might add not to mention me and my fellow teachers learned a great deal from JW and the raptors. Once again, thanks.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 07:56:01 pm »
     Yep knoll, I have the same problem, I figured J.W. to have longer hair, and a beard, etc.   Kinda of like how you think of Mullet, as being 6' or more, and bulked up. ::)  But that is just when he gets angry, ...... you don't want to make him angry ..... you won't like him when he's angry. :o :o
But back to the guys and birds, glad you got to get together, and were able to bring the birds.  Glad you got good reactions from the kids also.  I hope you had nice weather then.  It is in the upper 60's, and right now, it is 70, with a light breeze, here.  Good job.  I guess Joe, might have a right to be a little sketchy, being as how he didn't know just what J.W. has taught those birds, plus you can see how he is slowly pushing the hawk towards Joe!
                                    Wayne
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 08:03:12 pm by stickbender »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 07:05:51 pm »
     Yep knoll, I have the same problem, I figured J.W. to have longer hair, and a beard, etc.   Kinda of like how you think of Mullet, as being 6' or more, and bulked up. ::)  But that is just when he gets angry, ...... you don't want to make him angry ..... you won't like him when he's angry. :o :o
But back to the guys and birds, glad you got to get together, and were able to bring the birds.  Glad you got good reactions from the kids also.  I hope you had nice weather then.  It is in the upper 60's, and right now, it is 70, with a light breeze, here.  Good job.  I guess Joe, might have a right to be a little sketchy, being as how he didn't know just what J.W. has taught those birds, plus you can see how he is slowly pushing the hawk towards Joe!
                                    Wayne

I had to tell him no petting the birds, we have a hard time controlling their weight when they "free feed" themselves!   ;D

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 10:33:34 pm »
     I also have this mental picture of the interior of  J.W.'s home being like  the apartment of "Ace Ventura, Pet Detective"!
                                    Wayne
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 12:43:09 am by stickbender »

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 09:51:02 am »
Great post, guys!  Always love this type of stuff.  The stuff that really counts for something.
As they say, "good on you"...both. ;) :)
1’—>1’

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 11:25:40 am »

IO also have this mental picture of the interior of  J.W.'s home being like  the apartment of "Ace Ventura, Pet Detective"!
                                    Wayne

For sure.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.