Author Topic: Seasoned osage billets for trade  (Read 5149 times)

Offline make-n-break

Seasoned osage billets for trade
« on: April 06, 2016, 11:22:28 pm »
Got a nice set of 36" billets I'm lookin to trade. They're belly splits. 2" wide at the widest, 1.5" at the narrowest, and 2" thick. They're straight with no twist. They have a little bit of natural reflex and real good early/late ratio with big rings. They've been seasoned 6 years.

I traded one set of these for a "if it fits, if ships" box full of knapping rock. I'd be interested in more rock. I'd also really like to get my hands on a batch of turkey feathers. Let me know what else you got though.. I like all kinds of primitive stuff!
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline make-n-break

Re: Seasoned osage billets for trade
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 11:24:36 pm »
Width
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 12:03:53 am »
What do you need in turkey feathers? I need more Osage like I need another hole in my head but hey if you need feathers I have some. The guys I work with was really good to me this last year. And I added one myself. Plus season opens here next week.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 10:50:02 am »
If you don't get something worked out with Patrick, I would be interested in Osage.  It doesn't grow where I live.  I don't have rock but have a lot of turkey and goose feathers.  Most everything I have is split already and cut down to about 6 inches.  I could also grind and chop if that interests you.  Let me know if you don't get a trade worked out with Patrick.

Thanks,

Mike

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 12:52:50 pm »
Swampman,  since you don't have any Osage where you live you go ahead and work this trade. I only replied because I know him and he is in need of some feathers. I have plenty of Osage in my stash.

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 01:10:00 pm »
Generous of you Patrick. Thanks bud. Swampman I'll get back to you this evening after work.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 01:11:10 pm »
Generous of you Patrick. Thanks bud. Swampman I'll get back to you this evening after work.

No problem bud,  just trying to help out.

Patrick
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 01:15:16 pm by lebhuntfish »

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 01:13:20 pm »
I agree, very generous of you Patrick. 

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 01:17:40 pm »
Thanks, but like I said, I'm not really in need of any Osage that's for sure.
Those are nice billets though and should make a fine bow. Plus I've never made a billet bow either.  :laugh:

Patrick

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 05:07:30 pm »
Patrick, I've got more similar billets if you'd be interested. I can never have enough feathers. Oh and check your PMs. I had another question for you.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 10:40:04 pm »
No biggie bud,  bring one to mojam with ya.
II checked my pm's but didn't have anything from you.

IIf you need some feathers we can figure something out. Maybe some glue on field points for me?

Patrick

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 11:06:23 pm »
I was at work and must have closed the browser before hitting send. No big deal anyway. I plan on bringing quite a bit of osage to mojam.

I'm also currently nursing the same two dozen glue on field points that I've had for a LONG time lol. I go through ridiculous amounts of trouble digging them out of trees, heating, filing and fixing them just to avoid buying more.

I'll have another pack of 100 by the time mojam rolls around, and pry be due for a feather reload. If you're not hurting for osage anyway we can just touch base when it gets closer and figure something out. Saves us both shipping.

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 11:09:30 pm »
Trade has been arranged. The billets are no longer available.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 11:14:58 pm »
Sounds good to me buddy!

Patrick

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 01:17:43 am »
Billets!  Man them are full length staves! I could get 26" draw off them.  >:D
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others