Author Topic: Follow up and new arrow with tanged broadhead  (Read 5696 times)

Offline Dustinhill

Follow up and new arrow with tanged broadhead
« on: April 11, 2016, 06:37:08 pm »
Hi, thanks to everyone who answered my last question about cracks on the side of the bow from the arrow hitting it. I learned a lot about spine! I made a new arrow and shot it with just the head (no feathers) first. When I didn't reach full draw the back stuck out to the left in my target indicating it was too stiff, when I shot it at full draw it went straight in. After that I fletched it and am waiting to seal and shoot it. However it still made some new cracks on the side of the bow. I sanded them out and am going to wrap the handle before shooting more. Any thoughts on other possible causes of the cracks from the arrow?
Also, The arrow is some kind of shoot, 7/16 in the middle, 3/8 at the ends, 1/2 at nock. Arrowhead is forged from an old square file. Feathers are turkey, 3/8 high 7in long.
Thanks,
Dustin

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Follow up and new arrow with tanged broadhead
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 06:46:29 pm »
Cool arrow..........glad it works for ya.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 09:12:16 pm »
Nice looking arrow.

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 05:18:29 pm »
Thanks guys! I hope I can figure out what's causing the damage to the side of the bow, it doesn't seem to be a spine thing...

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 05:19:30 pm »
In the meantime I'll find some leather and make a temporary handle. Id like to eventually go all wood if possible!

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 10:36:31 am »
Just thinking out loud here but could it be a string alignment issue? I'm just thinking we've been focusing on the arrows when maybe it's a bow issue?

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 10:45:46 am »
That's possible, my string tracks a little to one side. Do you think the string could be hitting the bow or causing something else to happen? It only seems to happen right at the arrow pass though.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 10:54:27 am »
Well I don't know if this is even a "thing" but I was thinking more that if the string tracks too far to the wrong side just the act of the string coming to brace is shoving the back of the arrow into the rest/pass.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 11:26:49 am »
I'd put an inlay of antler, bone, or shell in for an arrow pass. If you keep sanding at that spot, pretty soon you'll have an unintentional take down on your hands. It's common for the arrow to leave a mark or wear on the bow wood as the pass, but not a crack. Maybe just try ca glue in the crack if it happens again. That may stop it for reoccurring or getting worse.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 11:58:34 am »
Can you take a picture?

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 05:16:54 pm »
Thanks for the ideas everyone! That makes sense about the string, but it tracks the other way, it's closer to the arrow side than the far side. I will hopefully head out this weekend and shoot it and take pictures. Thanks!

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 03:26:25 pm »
Sorry for the late response everyone, I was finishing up my last semester of school.I shot the arrow today and it flew great! It did leave some cracks in the bow though. I hope the picture is clear enough, the site doesn't let me upload hi resolution images. The cracks aren't very deep, but I'm worried that they could create a weak spot over time. I don't mind adding a grip or strike plate, but i would prefer to do so not because there's something wrong with my arrow. Thanks for the help so far!
- Dustin

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 04:16:50 pm »
I dunno. If I am seeing the cracks it looks to me like they are more related to that knot. They seem to radiate out from it. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2016, 04:36:54 pm »

If it is on the edge, it could be that your outside dimensions of the knock, needs to be just a hair under the diameter of the shaft.  But could it be that there is some run off of grain, causing it?  I am just taking a wild guess here.  Nice looking arrow though.

Wayne

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2016, 04:40:07 pm »
DC -I think you might be looking at the wrong thing, the cracks I'm talking about are on the edge. It's a hickory bow and the grain looks like that along most of the bow. To the best of my knowledge, the only crack is on the edge.

And Wayne - I thought it might be the nock as well, it's a flared plains style nock. But I doubt they would have used flared nocks if they messed up the bow.
Thanks for the replies!