Author Topic: Simple question???  (Read 3194 times)

Offline Arrowbuster

Simple question???
« on: April 11, 2016, 07:20:36 pm »
Ok guys here it is. Just because I have a stave in a steam box, while I'm chasing a ring on another one and have one more laid up on the bench needing to be tillered. Putting off cause I know she's gonna break. Do all these things mean I may have a problem???? There is just so much wood and so little time. Let me know. I personally think I can quit anytime.

Offline Josh B

Re: Simple question???
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 07:32:31 pm »
Not at your point, but it's a progressive disorder.  Let me put it in perspective for you.  This is a pic of my daughter working on her first bow.  You'll notice all the sticks in the background....those are all bows in various stages of completion.  That's about a quarter of the started bows in the shop.  There's 5 or 6 more in the truck with me right now!  Yes.....I have a problem!!!   Josh

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 07:41:44 pm »
Wow Gun Doc, I thought I had a problem.  I only have 8 bows in various states of completion.  I guess I don't have it so bad yet!!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 07:55:00 pm »
being passionate and obsessive ,, is the key to success,, sounds like lost of nice bows in progress to me,, :) :)

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 01:36:19 am »
It's not a problem it's actually a wise approach. Everyone's grandpa told them to never put all their eggs in the same basket. Currently I have about a dozen or so "baskets" going at the moment as well. It's simply an insurance policy for a completely healthy and easily manageable hobby.  ::) >:D
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 04:14:52 am »
Now I dont feel alone only have 4 going !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 05:54:03 am »
Not a problem at all, I am not sure of the count but I have at least 20/25 in different stages of work, that way what ever mood I am in in the bow making process I have something at my disposal to work on. ;) Sometimes I like roughing them out and sometimes tillering and now and then finishing. ;)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TimBo

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 10:12:05 am »
This thread is making me feel better!  I should go out and count how many "in-process" bows I have going.  There are at least fifteen that I can think of right now.  I am hoping (as usual) to get a few finished this summer, but we will see...

Offline gifford

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 10:36:12 am »
Seems like I have a half dozen or so bows in various stages of completion. Just found a couple the other day, they have been in the works for years, nice patina from oxidation.  :)

Guess I'll get around to it either before, during, or after MoJAM this summer.   ;)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 11:14:46 am »
Same here.Sounds normal to me......lol.I figure the wood will be nice and dry then when they're tillered.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 11:56:31 am »
I think this may possibly be the most relieving thread I've read. I was just thinking last week that maybe I have a problem because I can't finish a bow without starting another. So I set out to finish the bows I have started. I have one left to put a finish on, one to tiller, and one that's sitting there with a chased ring. But now, thanks to all of you, I can go back to my old ways and start more without finishing the previous one. But how does this affect overall productivity? Would we all be better off finishing one at a time? Or having several in the corner waiting to be a complete bow? Or is that not the point at all? Maybe it's just about the enjoyment of bow making, and I think pappy nailed it, sometimes you are just in the mood for different things. Sometimes I don't feel like tiller, and just want to relax and chase a ring, or put that finish on an almost complete bow.
I would like to thank you all for this therapy sesson.

Eric
Eric

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 01:13:07 pm »
i have 8 sinewed bows seasoning, and over 30 roughed out blanks.
It's the only way to make sure your bows will be made with nice and seasoned wood.
I often forget what I have, it's a nice surprise pulling some of these out

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 01:20:06 pm »
I was thinking I was the oddball that works a bow from start to finish and generally I do. I started to write this and realized that I have three on the go at the moment. Just an aberration, I'm sure ;) ;)

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 03:20:46 pm »
Went cold turkey for over six months.   I just started back and it is worse than before.  Bow makin is right up there with crack and meth. ;D. Maybe it isn't that bad...
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 04:20:11 pm »
After reading all these replies I feel like a slacker! I best get busy.