Author Topic: First set Patriot Missiles, FINISHED PICS ADDED! pg2  (Read 9701 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
First set Patriot Missiles, FINISHED PICS ADDED! pg2
« on: April 11, 2016, 09:12:08 pm »
I've been wanting to make some  new traditional arrows for a while now. I picked up some beautiful Douglas fir shafts from the knocking point booth at OJAM a few weeks ago.
I've done a lot of reading and testing on how to go about making and finishing a traditional arrow.
The first thing I done was inspect and straighten the shafts then I cut them off to match my other arrows. I used the cut off pieces to test finishes and tapering tools. I also made a guinea pig dowel. That being said I have  never done any of this process before. Besides straightening and fletching.
I spray painted the fletching end white after dying the shaft with green rit dye, which turned out mostly brown for some reason. But I liked the color on the test.
I borrowed a friend's cresting jig and made up a design I like. I crested all the shafts and the test dowel. I used sharpie markers. I will buy some paint for the next go around.
I made me an arrow dipper from some pvc. And dipped the shafts after waiting 24 hours for the marker to cure. They turned out nicely after 2 coats of poly acrylic in my dipper. I'm going to sand them lightly then put 2 more coats on.
It was raining this morning so I decided to dye some feathers. Which I have never done before. They turned out awesome! They were easy to do with kool-aid!
Here are a few pictures of my progress at the moment. I call them my Patriot missiles!

Patrick

« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 10:15:12 pm by lebhuntfish »
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Tracker0721

Re: First set Patriot Missiles, in progress.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 10:51:26 pm »
Those are gonna look awesome Captain America! I gotta try dying feathers sometime
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 11:36:30 pm »
Thanks Dylan!

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline loon

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 04:19:02 am »
I love this! Want to see the final result..

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 09:05:59 am »
Captain America, huh . . . . .  :laugh:       :laugh:       :laugh:

Those will be very spiffy, Pat. You're gonna cry when one goes into the brush.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 09:57:15 am »
I might Mike,  we will find out. I'm kinda making them for mojam. Going to put a little puff of marabou behind the fletch. Maybe some white Rabbit fur.

Patrick

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 10:31:26 am »
Nice! Going to be awesome watching the red, white, and blue disappear into a whitetail ribcage!

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 11:54:15 am »
Thanks,  I probably could do that. I'm making these for target arrows but I have 6 more to make hunting ones with.

Patrick

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 12:30:28 pm »
Those are going to look good can't wait to see them finished.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 12:56:15 pm »
Thanks Rob,  me too!

Patrick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 12:58:14 pm »
Them's some mighty fancy sticks you got there Patrick. Looking forward to seeing them finished.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 01:09:35 pm »
Thanks Pat! I appreciate it!

Patrick

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 01:45:18 pm »
You're going to need a Captain America outfit! ;) ;)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 01:47:46 pm »
What were your KoolAid flavors, Pat?
I know a certain 12-yr-old girl who'd love those feathers!   ;)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 04:35:20 pm »
Well,  I got them at the dollar store for 5 for a buck. Red is cherry and blue is blue raspberry. I used all 5 packs with both colors. I took a stainless steel pot and filled it just out 3/4 full. Brought it to a boil then took it off the heat. When it stopped boiling I added about 3/4 cup of white vinegar and my 5 kool-aid packs. I rented the feathers in warm sink water and then threw them in the pot. I stired them with a fork until they looked good to me. Then I pulled them out and dried them between some paper towels to get most of the moisture off of them. Then layer them out on dry paper towels to air dry. I noticed when they were pretty much dry they would curve back to the left wing shape.
But cherry and blue raspberry was the flavors!  >:D

Patrick