Author Topic: DIY Landing Net  (Read 8543 times)

Offline 4est Trekker

DIY Landing Net
« on: May 05, 2016, 02:59:31 pm »
Howdy, all. I enjoy making ultralight landing nets in my spare time and wanted to share my latest. It's for a friend who lets my family use his cabin along the Big Thompson near Estes Park, CO. It can be hard to find the right thank-you gift for a guy who owns a cabin on the river...but this should be a good start.

It finished out at just a bit over 3 oz and has a hoop of laminated poplar and mahogany. The handle is laminated rosewood, maple, and fishtail oak. I prefer a mesh net for bulk/weight savings and use barbless hooks, which prevents them from getting stuck in the net. The brass inlay dots on the handle face are for measuring fish longer than 15" (the length of the hoop). I designed this particular model for mountain lake and stream fishing, especially when I take my tenkara rig along on backpacking trips. However, I fly-fish for a lot of bluegill, crappie, and bass where I live (Nebraska/Iowa) and this design handles the occasional 20" fish.

Anyway, thanks for looking!

"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline bubby

Re: DIY Landing Net
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 03:36:32 pm »
thats a beauty 4est, just like all your items
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 03:39:14 pm »
Wow, that is some kind of special right there.  Awesome work!

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 04:50:25 pm »
Sweet :)
I hope he fills it regularly.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 03:45:01 am »
Very nice work - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 08:53:53 am »
Beautiful work and finish. I'm curious, what gives it structural integrity? Is there a hidden element?

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 09:14:03 am »
Thanks, gents.  :)

Beautiful work and finish. I'm curious, what gives it structural integrity? Is there a hidden element?

Good questions.  The strength comes from the lamination of the hoop and solid glue lines/mating surfaces.  It won't land a beast of a salmon or catfish, and there is a touch of flex to the hoop under pressure.  But I'm usually angling for smaller species like upper elevation trout, crappie, and bluegill and love not knowing this 3.5 oz net is even hanging off my vest or stuffed in my pack until I need it.   
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Stoker

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 09:28:57 am »
Very nice.. A light net is a pleasure to use..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 09:06:17 am »
Very nice appreciation gift there.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 01:08:27 pm »
Yeah, that is mighty pretty stuff there.  And the wide, square-ish lip is a positive design benefit for larger fish or shallower waters
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 02:38:29 pm »
That's very nice

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 02:38:57 pm »
That's very nice

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 12:51:44 pm »
That's a beauty. Id be proud to have that dangling off my sling pack. Although I rarely carry a net, my fishing buddies tell me its bad luck!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 12:59:23 pm »
That is some beautiful work, blending the different woods together. Do you get to elk hunt from that cabin also?? ;D
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 02:37:10 pm »
I did a do-it-yourself net once.  Despite my best efforts, it looked like a second hand store tennis racket with a bad job of cobbling a net onto the end opposite the handle!

But it worked!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.