Author Topic: Tanning snake skins...  (Read 3629 times)

Offline H.P.

Tanning snake skins...
« on: May 06, 2016, 12:23:04 pm »
I'll be headed up to our river property this weekend to do some much needed mowing.  I never fail to run into a few varieties of snakes while I'm picking up any deadfall before I run the mower through. 

Normally I leave them be, but due to a close call a couple of weeks ago with a particularly LARGE cotton mouth, I think some "permanent" removal is in order...especially when I have my dog with me or my friends up to kayak or do a little stump shooting.

I figure if I DO have to dispatch a snake or two, I'd like to save the skins.  Does anybody have a fairly simple way to tan and preserve skins?  I've peeled plenty of skins off of snakes when I prepared them for the fire, but not to save the skins for later use.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Harris 
If I'm not pulling on one string, I'm thumping on 4.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tanning snake skins...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 12:28:16 pm »
Harris, you can just dry them to preserve them By doing so they can be used as bow backing.
 If you split the belly do it to one side of the belly scales so both the belly and back can be used.
 Clean off ant excess tissue and tack the skin out, flesh side up, to a board and place in the sun. It will dry in a coupe of hours. Once dry(be real sure it is) you can place it in a ziploc bag for storage.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline H.P.

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 12:34:37 pm »
Sounds easy enough, thanks.  Now, I didn't know if I needed to put some kind of tanning agent on the skins or not (and you're psychic because I was thinking of backing one of my bows with any snake skins I may end up with).  ~H

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 01:27:24 pm »
Here is an example of what Pat explained.  I tacked this one flesh side down.  No tanning required.  Just air drying.  I use scissors to split them 1 row of scales over from the edge of the belly scales. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 03:42:20 pm »
If you glue a cap on a one inch PVC pipe
you can whack them in the head with out
doing much damage to the skin ???
Good luck
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 04:15:27 pm »
Once skinned I take a simple 99 cent ice scraper for a car windshield and finish fleshing the skin with it. Works great. Maybe round off the outer edge. Good luck

Offline H.P.

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 04:38:42 pm »
Thanks for all the advice.  Hopefully:

I won't have to whack any snakes

or

I'll whack a couple over the noggin long/big enough to back a bow (hopefully two of the same specie...)

On top of the Cotton Mouths I've seen two of the biggest Eastern Coral snakes I've ever seen up there (and they weren't Scarlet Kingsnakes either)...my dog tried to pick it up in his mouth.  Yep.  That's my boy.

*thanks for posting those pics Osage Outlaw*

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 06:22:48 pm »
Thanks for all the advice.  Hopefully:

I won't have to whack any snakes

or

I'll whack a couple over the noggin long/big enough to back a bow (hopefully two of the same specie...)

On top of the Cotton Mouths I've seen two of the biggest Eastern Coral snakes I've ever seen up there (and they weren't Scarlet Kingsnakes either)...my dog tried to pick it up in his mouth.  Yep.  That's my boy.

*thanks for posting those pics Osage Outlaw*

If you find any coral snakes big enough to back a bow with I would be very interested in trading you something for them.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline H.P.

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 08:17:20 pm »
Unless these particular snakes are psychic, pretty sure I'll end up with something (hopefully not a snake bite...)

I'll keep ya posted Osage Outlaw.   ;)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 09:18:43 pm »
I got two water snakes while running the airboat yesterday. Good luck.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline H.P.

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 05:23:08 pm »
Snakes must be psychic because I didn't spot a one this weekend.  BUT, I'll be back up there this coming weekend.  I'm hoping those corals show themselves again.  Yeah, odd that I didn't see one while walking the property and poking around with my snake stick. 

....hoping for better luck this coming weekend.   H