Author Topic: In The West TX Town of El Paso....  (Read 9581 times)

Offline The Singing Bowyer

In The West TX Town of El Paso....
« on: February 25, 2008, 11:19:48 pm »
Well, almost to El Paso (hour east)... I spent a few days hoofing through the desert with some good friends after Javies and Hogs. There were a few misses, but we did bring home a little meat and some great memories.....

Plenty of sand, oak brush, and tumbleweeds.....

Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Re: In The West TX Town of El Paso....
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 11:24:47 pm »
Every one in camp, except John Rook, was hunting with a bow they made.... I was carrying "Pappy's Osage", a 62", 55 @ 27" flatbow I made from a choice piece Pappy was good enough to give me.

Every night was like.....well, eating at Pappy's! We ate like kings....

Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 11:29:18 pm »
The temperature would change as much as 40 degrees when the sun started to go down, but some nights it was worth it...

Hiking around on 65,000 acres of desert all day sure made seeing my truck again each evening all that much sweeter...  The land is so flat out there that the white objects on the horizon are oil wells....16 MILES AWAY!!

Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 11:34:18 pm »
I know what you mean bout hoofing it around out there all day and being glad to see the ole truck again. I was hunting too but not critters - artifacts :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 11:38:19 pm »
Great pictures.  Great song too.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 11:50:14 pm »
cool pictures chad. and nice bow. fun huntin with good friends aint it? :)
Modern Day Tramp

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 11:54:34 pm »
Great pics thanks for sharing.... nice bow too .... mike a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Little John

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 12:58:32 am »
Cool hunt, how about some details? I love that West Texas, especially the year round hunting.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 02:06:56 am »
Chad, Looks like a great time and a great hunt with great folks...and ya'll made meat! ;D   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 10:12:12 am »
Well, as far as details......

I was invited to perform and hunt with another magazine's yearly get-together. Our host was Curtis Kellar of 7th Age Bowhunting. The ranch was 65,000 acres of desert/brush country. It hadn't been hunted in 7 years,and their were javies and hogs on the farm(along with more coyotes and jack rabbits than I have ever seen in one place)

To give you an idea of how big 65,000 acres is....I would drive out of camp on a dirt road for 19 miles. From there, I would set my GPS, make a huge circle, and try and make it back to the truck just before dark. I never left the ranch....

I spent some time with Mike Yancey(Pine Hollow Longbows) talking trapping and building bows, and we hunted an area together one evening. I also had the pleasure of spending some time with John Rook,known as the blind bowhunter. John has hunted with a bow and arrow all his life, and even afer losing his sight 29 years ago, has managed to take moose, elk, antelope,mountain lion, bear, and a string of whitetails with traditional equipment. Hunting with John will give you a new perspective on what we do.

Mike and a few of the guys stayed in his tee pee, while the old guys and the "entertainment" got the bunkhouse. Every evening we would eat a big dinner, have a few adult beverages, and then share some stories between songs. Ken Hoen and John Rook have been bowhunting for  nearly a 100 years combined, and have hunted with some of the legends, so hearing some of their stories was a real treat.

I didn't get any shots on this trip, but I had a few good opportunities for stalks that were thwarted by the fickle wind of such flat country, and I passed on a group of small hogs.

There is nothing quite like spending a few days in the desert, though. I think Jim Morrison may have been on to something there.... ;)
Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

jamie

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 12:43:38 pm »
thats gorgeous land

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 10:26:08 pm »
i was gonna ask about the blind guy. thats great to hear he still hunt like that. ;)
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Little John

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 11:52:29 pm »
Chad, sounds like an awsome hunt. Just where was ehe ranch located. I wast to hunt with Curtis soon as I can get caught up and save some money.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 10:11:01 pm »
This ranch was near (near for TX, anyway) Odessa. Curtis's usual stomping grounds is between San Antonio and Laredo. This ranch is a bit of a haul to set everything up, so I am not sure if he will be there again next year.
Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Offline Postman

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 12:07:50 pm »
Great pics, great song- how did that old song end? wasn't it " one little kiss and Jav-felina.... good by......"
couldn't resist
 ;D ;D
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA