Author Topic: Arrow build-a-long  (Read 28011 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Arrow build-a-long
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2016, 07:36:10 am »
Very cool(ade), Clint.    ;D   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2016, 12:16:08 pm »
By using water in your Kool-Aid you can have a refreshing drink after your feathers are done too!

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2016, 12:44:48 pm »
Thanks for the build along OO, I really like how your feathers turned out.
Do you cut the quill length wise before sanding them, or just sand it all away? Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline DC

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2016, 02:16:28 pm »
By using water in your Kool-Aid you can have a refreshing drink after your feathers are done too!

I find it tastes like chicken ;) ;)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2016, 02:39:38 pm »
Thanks for the build along OO, I really like how your feathers turned out.
Do you cut the quill length wise before sanding them, or just sand it all away? Ed

I trim it down a little if the quill is wide.  After I sand them I take each one and trim the quill down with a pair of scissors.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2016, 08:17:40 pm »
A fellow over here showed me to paper shoot tune bare shafts Clint.Just another version here....lol.A 6' step ladder with butcher paper is taped across an opening of the step in front of your target a couple of yards.A 5 yard shot is made through the paper.You can tell by the rip in the paper which way your shaft is tailing along with the way it sticks into the target.If it's just a tiny hole the size of your shaft that's what you want.Pappys' got it right in tuning the shaft.
The end profile of shaft sticking into target I want is dead center straight but tailing up just slightly.Your looking good so far.Time consuming like said but really rewarding seeing them fly with your buddies shooting or hunting where it really counts.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2016, 10:51:51 pm »
I've seen the paper tuning done with modern wheelie bows.  I might give that a try if I can't see how the arrows are flying.

I pulled the second batch of feathers out of the same kool-aid mix.  I was able to get two runs out of the blue but the orange wasn't as bright on the second run.  I mixed up a new batch of kool-aid and put them back in to soak for a while.  I had more orange feathers than the blue.  That might have been the cause. 

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2016, 04:24:30 am »
I am really loving this thread. thanks to all and esp. OO.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2016, 07:41:08 pm »
I bare shaft very similar to Pappy....
I use a Styrofoam target.  Some targets can influence the way the arrow hits.  Styrofoam doesn't.
And I use glue on points until I find the right point/combination. Then I usually replace the glue on with a duplex nail of the same weight.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2016, 07:47:54 pm »

Another reason for BIG target is so ya can concentrate on watching arrow's flight, rather than focusing on hitting a spot. I don't completely trust how shaft is stuck in target to tell me degree of  left/right nock. Instead, I watch how it flies. Reason is because my targets tend to be too shot up to trust how shaft sticks outta target.

Last, shoot an arrow multiple times before deciding how it's flying. Release can really affect bareshaft flight, so ya don't want to make decisions based on just one shot.

Very good info Mike, I have found the same thing.....
Thanks
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2016, 09:38:15 pm »
I use a Styrofoam target.  Some targets can influence the way the arrow hits.  Styrofoam doesn't.
DBar

Yes! Looking for more styrofoam blocks now.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2016, 11:57:14 pm »
I started wrapping the nocks tonight.  I did all the orange/black and pink/black arrows.  I still need to wrap the blue/black ones.  I used heavy duty coat thread.  It has a small diameter but is very strong.  You can't break it with your hands.  When I'm done with all of them I'll soak the thread twice with superglue. 

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2016, 12:00:33 am »
Looking good.

Thread wrap doesn't HAVE to extend up to bottom of nock, huh?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2016, 06:21:27 am »
I have used fishing line and floss with good results for wraps.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2016, 06:50:08 am »
Looking good.

Thread wrap doesn't HAVE to extend up to bottom of nock, huh?

I get the wraps close but not at the very bottom of the groove.  I haven't had one break yet so I guess it's OK.