Author Topic: Belly plugs  (Read 4166 times)

Offline wizardgoat

Belly plugs
« on: June 02, 2016, 01:11:26 pm »
I've used wood dust, and horn dust with superglue, but have never been totally satisfied with how they turn out.
Just interested in what you guys have had best success with.
I've always been a little hesitant about using TB3 and dust, I figured the plug would shrink a bit

Offline DC

Re: Belly plugs
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 01:15:15 pm »
I've been re-reading Del's blog and way back he used a piece of limb as a plug so the end result looked like a knot. He only seemed to use it once and never mentioned it again. It sounded like a real slick idea.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 01:19:21 pm »
Ryan, I've always used wood dust and superglue with good results. If the hole is deep and/or wide I do it in layers to insure I fill all the voids. Watch out fro the fumes from the superglue.
 Some folks use wood plugs, cut to match the hole but I've never done that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 01:55:15 pm »
Why not use good epoxy mixed with filler of your choice? Epoxy has compressive strength.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 02:03:25 pm »
i have used tite bond, it worked well,, I have used super glue it worked well, the epoxy sounds like a good idea,, I have used dirt and superglue,, it worked well,,, I was afraid it might be too stiff,, but was ok,,

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 02:31:56 pm »
I'm guessing you guys are  talking about small voids. Here's what I have done with bigger problems.

I made the plug a snug fit in the notch when the bow was slightly flexed backward, which  made the plug quite tight when the limb was relaxed.

This was a few years ago and the bow is still shooting.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 02:35:52 pm »
Ya just seems superglue sometimes gets all hot and crazy and I've had little voids with some fillers.
Epoxy, sounds like a great idea, would epoxy be fine just by itself I wonder. One that dries transparent

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 03:54:53 pm »
If you use the CA in thin layers of sawdust and CA it doesn't heat up so bad. Tamp in a bit of sawdust and then dribble in some CA. Have a cup of coffee. Repeat as necessary. Try to avoid the accelerator. It can turn the CA white

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 04:17:00 pm »
 Get yourself some G-flex from Lee Valley or a boat building supplier. It is toughened and designed to take shock, contraction and expansion. It's not clear per se but it looks about like a glob  of conifer resin when cured.  It will stand up on its own.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 04:28:23 pm »
Jim thats a nice one, never seen a square one before, I will keep that in mind for sure :)

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 04:31:05 pm »
Ive never seen a square plug, nice work.
PatM, I'll hunt some of that down, sounds like what I'm after

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 08:14:38 pm »
I have 2 Osage selfbows that I used a 2 part epoxy in 3/8" size knot holes, then colored over with a furniture repair marker before finishing with Truoil. One is in the middle of lower limb, mid limb. The other is on the edge of the upper limb a couple inches down from the nock groove on belly side.
Both are holding fine so far.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 09:19:35 pm »
Do you have to plug the knot holes?  I've always left them alone on osage. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 09:33:41 pm »
I've done like Clint.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 09:52:27 pm »
I did mine just for looks more than necessity. I don't think either one would have effected durability.