Author Topic: side/base opening quivers  (Read 12027 times)

Offline benjamin

side/base opening quivers
« on: February 26, 2008, 06:56:53 pm »
I've seen a few quivers online that have a hole in the side with the top and bottom sewn shut. If anyone uses this type of quiver much, I have a few questions. Is it noisy or do the feathers get distorted much when drawing or replacing? Can brain tanned leather be used or does it have to be stiff like rawhide? Also, could someone give me some specs on size of hole and quiver in relation to the arrows? It looks very interesting. Thanks.

Offline benjamin

Re: side/base opening quivers
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 12:30:28 am »
I take it no one here has ever used this type of quiver? Has anyone ever HEARD of this type of quiver being used?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 01:39:06 am »
Benjamin, I have a side stalker type quiver I use for 3D shoots and target practice. It is made with stiffer leather so it will hold its shape. Jamie, I believe, just posted a plains type quiver with a side opening on it also and I think it was brain tanned leather. I have not used the type of quiver you mentioned but with stiffer leather you shouldn't have to worry about your fletching getting messed up.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline benjamin

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 12:01:48 pm »
Thanks for the advise. This'll be my next project once I get some stiffer leather.

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 09:50:16 am »
I just made myself a side-stalker style quiver.  IMHO, it's the best hunting quiver design made, period.  I have use back quivers, plains-style quivers, and a belt quiver....they all did their job well, but the side stalker is the best.  Its quiet, out of the way, and makes arrow selection a snap!

I tend to still hunt.  I carry 10 small game arrows, 3 BH arrows and and arrow with a judo....I also carry a single BH arrow on my bow with a solo stalker.  I have never felt less than ready!  I can hunt deer, coons, rabbits and turkeys and changing the arrow on the string is easy, quiet and with minimal motion.  I also hunt in some of the thickest brush county around, Kentucky.  Full of saplings and wait-a-minute vines!

I owned a "real" side stalker and in a fit of the stupids sold it......I made mine own last month......with a cherry wood base plug and a brass buckle.

One thing I never liked about the side stalker (meaning the one I bought) was the strap system and it's size.  When I made mine, I went to a buckle to allow adjust of the strap and I made it a bit larger with a totally round bottom.....I will post a pic of it tomorrow!

I made mine from 7 oz, vegetable tanned leather, hand sewn with artificial sinew.  I finished it with plain old canola oil.  If you take the pinkish veg tanned leather and work oil into it....it will turn it the perfect, rich shade of brown for the woods!  This also keeps the leather conditioned! 
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 02:09:26 pm »
I also like the stalker style quivers more and more!

I have made one out of thin leather with a stabilisation from a thin metal wire. That works so lala :-\

The next one was out of thicker leather. That works much better. I dont finished this leather but covered it with a thin fox fur. That looks really wild :o

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 02:24:15 pm »
I have used a plains style back quiver for so long that i just ouldn't get used to the stalker style quiver... i tried one and liked the design alot... but old habits are hard to break and want back to my old quiver.. Mike  A/ho

IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Key

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 05:02:59 pm »
Here is a picture of a side quiver I made. I like a side quiver better for hunting than anyother quiver I have used. I have three different size side quivers.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Roger

Offline Cromm

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 05:06:29 pm »
Hi, Hawkbow what does a plains style back quiver look like? thanks for your time.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline Key

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 05:09:28 pm »
another one of my side quivers.

Roger

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 05:28:30 pm »
Cromm, here's a photo of a plains style quiver. (pawnee)

Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline benjamin

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 10:35:03 pm »
It seems to me that the feathers would make noise as they're pulled out. Does anyone have this problem and would a rabbit skin on the inside help?... if the problem exists. And thank you to everyone that posted. This is VERY helpful.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 10:46:36 pm »
fr quieting my bow. it is deer rawhide and its loud. i put sheepskin at the bottom where the broadheads sit and at the top so the arrows are quieter and in my fox hide quiver i put sheepskin at the bottom so the wouldnt pop through the hide.
Modern Day Tramp